[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Brodie301

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by Brodie301 »

Bump
The FORCE is with me!!!
undeaddemon

Post by undeaddemon »

Actually, If someone could just point or make a tutorial on a process for customizing / re-texturing wall sets... I would create one.
I am not blender savvy, but the PS, and artistic part I can do.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Brodie301: A couple of things to note.

1. Some meshes are stored in .model files with a transformation attached. These are lost when you export to OBJ file format. This is most obvious with items though, as I don't think the walls suffer from this issue (but I could be wrong). For instance, items are stored at about 10x the actual size in game, and then the 'downscaling' is a matrix in the .model file instead of something applied to the vertices themselves.

2. More likely, is that your export settings from Blender are not transforming the model back into 'Y-up' coordinate space. Blender uses the 'Z-axis' as up but Grimrock uses Y-Axis as up. The following OBJ export settings in Blender should be a good place to start!

- Include Normals: YES (Necessary for correct lighting)
- Include UVs: YES (Necessary for texture mapping)
- Triangulate Faces: YES (Better to have Blender with years of dev do it than my code!)
- Forward: -Z Forward
- Up: Y Up

@undeaddemon: The following tutorial explains how to re-texture a creature. The method should be the same for wallsets!

http://grimwiki.net/wiki/Model_Retexturing_Tutorial
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

Hello all

I am trying to vertex paint my new monster model that I made in blender. The paint is not showing up in the toolkit or in the LOG game.

Any hints. I add a material to the object in blender and click on vertex paint. But it still does not show up in the toolkit or in game when I tried to test it in the preview of the editor.

LG
Dungeon Master and DOOM will live forever.
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

Why would the toolkit being saving a model as obj instead of .model?

LG
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

Also

How do I get a model to have several slots for materials in the tool kit.

I have a model that I need a slot for the body material, the head and each eye and only the head slot is showing up in tools/materail find in the toolkit.

LG
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Hi LordGarth, a few answers to your queries!

1. In order to apply multiple textures to a grimrock model, that model must be made up of separate MeshSegments. The easiest way to do this is to export your model as an OBJ file where each segment is a different 'group' in the OBJ file. This will then load correctly in the GMT and allow you to assign a different material to each segment. Make sure you apply a different material to each part in your 3D package and use the 'Use Object Groups for Material Groups' or similar option when exporting.

2. The Toolkit will only produce a Grimrock compatible .model file when you use the 'Save As' option and a .OBJ when you use the Wavefront OBJ export option. Note that you could still NAME your file my_object.obj when using the SAVE option, but the actual contents of this file will still be a Grimrock model. If you accidentally name your saved file as my_model.something_else you can just rename it to my_model.model.

3. With regards to exporting models with painted vertices, you either need to experiment with some of the more esoteric model formats that Assimp supports (I have successfully exported an animated mesh to the GMT via .x format), play with/wait for the finished GrimFBX application I'm working on (on hold until I finish moving to Canada) or, if you're using 3DS Max, you can use Wallasaurus's export scripts that can be found on this forum!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
LordGarth

Post by LordGarth »

I renamed the file to .model and it worked.

I still can not get more than one material slot.

I am using blender 2.6.3 and I am assigning material slot to data and object and I still just get one that I have assigned available in the toolkit.

I dont have material groups option when exporting only the type of file to export to. Is there some option to click somewhere in blender for this.

LG
Wanderer

Post by Wanderer »

This tool makes all my dreams come true :mrgreen:
Thanks for this tool, I have to change/rework few default objects for my mod and this tool is just the right place to do it.

lg Wanderer
My first LoG-Mod: Abandoned Places 2
Brodie301

Post by Brodie301 »

@LordGarth assign your textures in blender

Edit: sorry didn't read whole post disregard
The FORCE is with me!!!