Trimming overlapping models in Blender.

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Balthasar

Trimming overlapping models in Blender.

Post by Balthasar »

I'm working on some custom objects in Blender. One of the things I am making is an elevator car that is contained all within one model. I've been using the game assets, copying them, changing them, etc.

So picture this: My elevator car has a back wall and two side walls all made from the prison_wall model. I've brought them inward so they all overlap eachother. Is there a way to make Blender split the model faces where they overlap and then delete the redundant parts that the user will never see?

This is going to look crude as balls but I hope you can get the idea. The party stands inside the model where the X is. I would like to kill the redundant red parts.

==||=====||==
==||=====||==
==||==X==||
==||=====||

If there's a quick and easy method to do this, I would be very grateful if someone could tell me about it.
Skuggasveinn

Re: Trimming overlapping models in Blender.

Post by Skuggasveinn »

What you are looking for is called boolean operations, where you can subtract one mesh from the other, or leave the difference between 2 objects etc etc.
in order to use these tools you need to place a boolean modifier on your mesh.

I would never use this for a game engine, since it will break the model into parts that will create more triangles then needed when you triangulate the faces with export (or let GMT triangulate)

I would delete the faces that are sticking out to the point where I'm almost at the spot where I need to be, then use the edge/face/vertex tools to snap the walls together, then fix the UV.

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.