Character Generation 101

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Lex

Re: Character Generation 101

Post by Lex »

petri wrote:Yeah, there is no accuracy for ranged weapons.
I do not know if this is the best choice.
petri wrote:We had this at one point but it just wasn't very fun. It seemed very odd when a ranged projectile actually seems to hit a monster but still somehow "miss" it.
And wasn't it odd when you are standing next to monster and you still somehow "miss" it in melee?
petri wrote:I believe the reason is because attacking with a ranged weapon feels more like a player skill (aiming at a moving target) while melee is a test of character's skill.
Yes, but am I wrong saying that all aims in game are automatically done? If game will actually allow player to aim at target I could agree that characters do not need any additional statistic for that as it will be "hard enough".
petri wrote:As a result ranged attacks tend to hit more often than melee attack and in order to compensate this their damage is generally lower.
Even if you can "see" that your ranged attacks always hit, you can actually hit different parts of enemy's body - some of these parts could be heavy armored (=miss), some not (=hit). It just seems odd to me that I will have only "elite snipers" in my party.
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Lex wrote:It just seems odd to me that I will have only "elite snipers" in my party.
You wont, real ranged weapons are designed to hit enemies at massive ranges, in a dungeon you are very close so missing would be hard. Instead your skill with the weapon allows you to hit more accurately (do more damage) think of it as hitting someone in the toe or just nicking their arm compared to a direct shot in the middle of the enemies forehead!

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Lex

Post by Lex »

Darklord wrote:in a dungeon you are very close so missing would be hard
So (as I said above) when standing next to enemy it should be even more harder to "miss", right?

Lets take out Accuracy skill then - it is not needed at all! :D
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Just pointing out the "elite snipers" comment wasn't that accurate, Instead you could put,
It just seems odd to me that I will have only "inaccurate melee characters" in my party.
Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

In theory, that could work. Instead of having a chance to miss, you instead have a minimum/maximum damage gap, where maximum damage is determined by strength/weapon damage, and minimum is determined by dexterity. So if your dex is too low, your minimum damage will be so low that despite your max damage you'll still be doing nothing half the time.

A bit too late for the whole game engine to be changed now, but it's what I'd do if I was designing a game where you never miss.
petri

Post by petri »

I think miss chance in melee works because it matches with player's expectations. An arrow passing through a monster does not meet the expectations :D
petri

Post by petri »

An analogy to removing misses would be to remove critical hits. Crits/misses are there so that damage output has a wider spread and this makes the combat more surprising and fun.
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

petri wrote:An analogy to removing misses would be to remove critical hits. Crits/misses are there so that damage output has a wider spread and this makes the combat more surprising and fun.
See this? This is SOLID DESIGN SENSE! I love it when someone thinks like me on some topic. I am giddy with joy when it's a game developer. :D
Mameluk

Post by Mameluk »

petri wrote:An analogy to removing misses would be to remove critical hits. Crits/misses are there so that damage output has a wider spread and this makes the combat more surprising and fun.
Path of Exile comes to mind. That game offers a passive skill that makes all of your attacks hit with 100% accuracy, but at the cost of never being able to crit.

However, in combat, it's literally either all or nothing (miss or crit). It's such a common design that people have grown accustomed to the polarization of the whole combat system. But it doesn't have to be a gamble. The usual way of making the combat interesting without making it too monotous is to include all kinds of special attacks that you can use only after certain intervals or after using spendable resource to activate it. Give them a good animation, make them 'feel good' and useful, and voilá, you have yourself a combat system that is interesting, non-luck based and challenging.

Are those skills you get from increasing a weapon proficiency passive or active abilities? Because if they're active, then what I just said has no real meaning. :lol:
hda

Post by hda »

This is a marvelous entire topic, thanks OP and repliers ;D
*She looks the corpse. A trail of blood leads away from it into the darkness. The body itself is a grotesquely misshapen husk now, the eyes sunk into the skull, the lips drawn back to expose the gums. A ghostly sight.

-Hellraiser (1987)- by Clive Barker.