Wall buttons with new positions.

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Balthasar

Wall buttons with new positions.

Post by Balthasar »

I wanted to put multiple buttons on the same wall, so I did some basic editing with the Grimrock Model Toolkit and Grimrock Animation Editor. Basically just cloned the wall_button and moved it around.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4eHj12iH ... e=youtu.be

The buttons are named button_a through button_y for simplicity; button_m happens to be exactly where the original wall_button sits.

I put the models and animations online. Just add import "mod_assets/scripts/buttons.lua" into your init.lua and you're good to go.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/n2ob4gy23rw2h ... galore.zip

I also experimented with a mini button at 50% scale. Had it appearing and animating normally, but it still responded to clicks as if it was its original size. (You could click the area around it and it would still trigger.) Anyone know how to deal with that?
Neikun

Re: Wall buttons with new positions.

Post by Neikun »

In my zero experience opinion, I'm going to say something something bounding box.

I like your concept very much. Are you saying that what you've done would be impossible with the GMT alone? -that info might be the key to getting my center-of-wall pullchain button to work right-

This might be a way to build secret buttons of our own in places wherever we like.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Balthasar

Post by Balthasar »

GMT can move the models around but I don't think it messes with the animations yet. If you don't update the animations along with the models, they won't work properly when you click on them.

As for the wall chain, yes, it could be moved just like the buttons. Either as a button with the wall chain model replacing it, or as a modified door.
Komag

Post by Komag »

nice, thanks for this!
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
montagneyaya

Post by montagneyaya »

Neikun wrote:In my zero experience opinion, I'm going to say something something bounding box.

I like your concept very much. Are you saying that what you've done would be impossible with the GMT alone? -that info might be the key to getting my center-of-wall pullchain button to work right-

This might be a way to build secret buttons of our own in places wherever we like.
See my tutorial, I explain how modify a pulchain for use it like a button and how move it on the wall

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L7ik3cDpAko (part1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WB8HlpyLlgo (part2)
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Thanks, Mont
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

That's quite nice.

I was playing with this kind of button placement a few weeks ago but never completed my tests.

What could be even better is buttons that act like levers staying clicked when pressed so that we can have a fully working combination lock puzzle with the scripting puzzle framework from Grimwold.
Balthasar

Post by Balthasar »

One thing I have noticed in my experiments, is that pullchains are superior to buttons. You can click on them while facing two directions. Buttons only work when you are facing the wall they are placed on.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M7iKp_SO ... e=youtu.be
LordYig wrote:That's quite nice.

I was playing with this kind of button placement a few weeks ago but never completed my tests.

What could be even better is buttons that act like levers staying clicked when pressed so that we can have a fully working combination lock puzzle with the scripting puzzle framework from Grimwold.
Could be done as a modified lever. I'm going to play around with that and see.
Balthasar

Post by Balthasar »

Levers seem to act funny. I started with the the wall_lever and put a modified wall_button animation on it. I can make it appear and animate on any part of the screen, showing if the button is pressed (activated) or not. However, it only responds to clicks in the middle of the screen, even if I have it placed way in the upper left corner. I can click in the middle of the screen, and see the button in the upper left turning on and off in response. Clicking in the upper left does nothing.

So, for a depressable lever-like button that shows if it is activated or not, the only easy solution is one in the middle of the screen.

Anyone know how to change where the mouse clicks work to activate levers?

One could do lever-like on/off buttons with a script element that tracked whether buttons were on or off, and spawned or destroyed buttons as necessary. That way, they would be clickable anywhere on the screen like buttons, but still show if they were activated or deactivated like levers do. More tedious to implement though ... and entirely redundant if we could change the part of the screen where mouse clicks activate levers.