Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Sol_HSA

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by Sol_HSA »

dna wrote:of course, in real world no one cares. (except Lucas arts)
There's been lots of cases where third (or further) party IP owners have taken offense.. Iirc, Mattel got rights to old Atari IP and started suing everybody who had the nerve of making breakwall clones..
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

LoG is clearly a Dungeon Master rip. Eye of the Beholder was D&D rules in a grid dungeon setting, wasn't it? EoB wasn't as feature rich as DM regarding interactivity and GFX.

Another grid game I enjoyed as a kid was on the Tandy Colour computer. "dungeons of daggorath" Very simple, but scary when you used your imagination.

http://wn.com/Dungeons_of_Daggorath
e8hffff

Post by e8hffff »

I've noticed on eBay some of the old games int heir boxes sell at high prices.
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

For me:

The old classic is of course: Lands of Lore I
It really showed off the capabilities of CD-ROM when it first came out, (the intro was showing at our local games store) and it actually persuaded my parents to upgrade our PC to have 16 meg of RAM and a 4x CD DRIVE so they could play it. :lol:

Of course, at the time, being a young lad, I was more interested in Doom and Dune II. Oh, and Tie Fighter.

I never saw the PC version of Dungeon Master, but I did play it on Atari ST. Again, at the time, I was more interested in completing Millenium 2.2, but I do remember trying to map Dungeon Master with Graph Paper. My map was utterly terrible and I got killed, so I never played again. :D

In actual fact, my love for Dungeon Crawlers is a more recent thing, awakened by playing the rather awesome Etrian Odyssey on the Nintendo DS. That is a truly great series; being able to draw your map on the touch screen is a great idea; and its a neat fusion of western and eastern RPG concepts, with the 3d grid based movement mixed with turn based battles. Not to mention its cruel. Real Cruel. FOE!!
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

I'll probably be the odd one out here, in that I've never beaten an old school dungeon crawler.

See, I didn't even have a computer way back when dungeon crawlers were big. I had console games. By the time I got into PC gaming, it was the heyday of games like Diablo II. But as I got older, I remember getting curious about old school games, and trying out Eye of the Beholder.

I was both thrilled and lost at the same time. I loved the tactical nature and the idea of surviving, managing limited resources, navigating puzzles, and being careful about what risks to take. But I'll be honest, here. I hated the interface, I hated how laggy and delayed the game can be, and the graphics left a lot to be desired. I still tried to plug away at the game and I got pretty far, but I just couldn't stick with it enough to beat it. I can forgive a game that is so old, but I just couldn't beat it.

I do, however, remember saying to myself, "If they ever made a game just like this, except the graphics are good and the interface isn't clunky and confusing, I will buy it and love it." So, here we are. Needless to say I preordered this game and have been silently cheering the project on for a year, even though I only now spoke up.
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Dungeon Master was a system seller for me. Looking at the Atari ST in the computer store, wanting to replace our aging ZX Spectrum, seeing Dungeon Master blew us all away. Fortunately my folks love these kinds of games as well, so a new ST was a lock. ;)

DM was one of those games that I'd always dreamed about when I had a Spectrum, but nobody really made anything to approach it almost certainly due to technical limitations. Seeing DM was one of those defining moments where you see games that you could only imagine actually on the screen in front of you. I had the same epiphany when I first saw Doom years later, which in effect was my wish of seeing Dungeon Master in a free-roaming environment. Pity I totally missed Ultima Underworld at the time!

Eye of the Beholder was pretty good, but it felt slightly clunky to me. Dungeon Master was a technical masterpiece for its time.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Dalton wrote:... Eye of the Beholder...the graphics left a lot to be desired...
ImageImage
Commodore VIC-20 vs Commodore Amiga 500

Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. :)
I started to play computer games with a small monochrome tv as screen.

(Left one is not really EoB for VC20)
http://jledger.proboards.com/index.cgi? ... hread=2976
Rednecksith

Post by Rednecksith »

EotB 2, LoL, Dungeon Hack and Stonekeep for me. Especially Stonekeep, I had the CD-ROM version with all the bells & whistles. Plus I was the only one amongst my friends who actually owned a PC capable of running it really well, heh.

I recently bought it off of GoG (to get in the dungeon crawling mood) and man, it's a LOT harder than I remember. That or I'm just not as patient as I used to be.

I also got my hands on a copy of EotB 1&2 but haven't played them much due to the fact I haven't been able to get my hands on any graph paper to map them out, and playing without a map is pretty much a complete exercise in futility. I've tried some 3rd party programs, but none of them seem to work all that well. Plus alt-tabbing out every few steps is fairly irritating and time consuming. Oh well, I'll get to the stationary store one of these days I suppose.
Sometimes I wish the world was flat so I could push people off.
Dalton

Post by Dalton »

That's all well and good, but I remind you again that by the time I played Eye of the Beholder it was almost two decades old. I know it's impressive for its time, but I can only muster up so much patience for it. That's why I'm really glad Grimrock is promising a smooth interface and informative character windows, so I'm not left guessing what every weapons's strengths and weaknesses are and all that.
xenophire

Post by xenophire »

Hello all! I've lurked this website for months. I figured I should finally start posting since I don't foresee going away any time soon, especially with the release of Grimrock being so close :)
There have been a number of Dungeon Crawlers over the years that I have come to love on the PC, but I owe my love for the genre to a select few games on the Atari ST:

Dungeon Master
Chaos Strikes Back
Captive

There were others in those days such as Bloodwych, Ishar & Knightmare but those three I listed above are still very dear to me. I just completed a playthrough of Dungeon Master and CSB recently - just as fun as ever :) I have boxed copies of DM and Captive, along with two seperate DM hint books. I need to get my hands on a boxed copy of CSB for the ST again one of these days...