Character Generation 101

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Adero

Re: Character Generation 101

Post by Adero »

Great job there lex and thx for that ! :D
eharper256

Post by eharper256 »

Ok, and we're done. Here's my first party selection:
I was on a bit of "lets do something unexpected" frenzy.

Mostly since the robed guy is obviously meant to be a mage; so I thought, screw that, he's actually some kind of mysterious Fire-Emblem type Myrmidon. :P

It grew from there- ah, Insectoids are meant to be mages, are they? Right, that's no good, lets have some Praying Mantis kung-fu of the literal sense, shall we? Bow user, you say? Nah, I'll just head for an ASAP back-row knife user. And this "I'm a ranger! Look at my clothes!" girl, she can be the party mage. Yep, lets call that a day!

I had fun coming up with their crimes and reasons for being in Grimrock.

Also, references... lol.

As an aside; am I right in thinking all equipment is found? In which case, it probably stands to reason to avoid weaponskills until you've got a path that looks worth following.

And... there's no spear/polearm skill?
"If the world's a stage, and the people actors, then who the f**k has my script?!?"
http://detarame.wordpress.com/ <= My games, anime and weirdness blog
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Niiiice. I'll have to think of something like that myself...!
Lex

Post by Lex »

eharper256: nice one :D what kind of font is that? also: what kind of program have you used?
eharper256 wrote:As an aside; am I right in thinking all equipment is found? In which case, it probably stands to reason to avoid weaponskills until you've got a path that looks worth following.

And... there's no spear/polearm skill?
Yes, it is found, so we do not know where to find / what weapon will be the best etc., yet.

No specific skill for spear - the only one to improve spear's attack could be Assassination.
custom Legend of Grimrock printable DVD box insert and disc label: link
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

eharper256 wrote:And... there's no spear/polearm skill?
Yea that's bugging me too honestly!

I had assumed earlier that you could hold an axe in one hand and get the bonus for that skill while maybe fighting unarmed with the other hand and have both bonuses. But the more I think about it I don't think they are going to let you get away with this trick.

I'm really leaning towards having one guy go all out for unarmed combat. That way you don't have to worry about finding the best weapon. If you give him unarmed combat you could take away the other 3 weapon skills and maybe make him a hybrid caster?

Assuming you can do this I'm going to go with 1 weapon skill for each of my fighters and give them some magic (Assuming you can even do that and there is no definitive answer yet). I'll focus my rogue mostly on assassination and Missile weapons (fighting away from melee range is almost always better). To finish off the party I'll definitely be going with a full fledged insect mage. Having 2 insects means I'll really not be eating much food (especially with 2 fighters after they get some points in endurance). The other option is to have one guy who can use the other weapons just in case you find something completely awesome.

I'm assuming we haven't seen all the skills yet (where's the life/death magic skill?). I'm hoping the polearm skill is one that you don't have by default but could pick if you wanted.
Last edited by Hissssa on Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Lex

Post by Lex »

Hissssa wrote:I'm assuming we haven't seen all the skills yet (where's the life/death magic skill?). I'm hoping the polearm skill is one that you don't have by default but could pick if you wanted.
Well, there are no other skills. Life/Death you mentioned are runes used to cast spells, not separate skills.
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

Wow that's actually pretty disappointing.... I was hoping there would be a life skill tree which would basically be along the lines of having a priest.

To be honest I guess I understand why they don't as I only slept for 4 seconds in an 18 hour run through of dungeon master (both times hit sleep by accident). After lots of levels your mana regen was really quick and you had quite a lot of it. Potions could very quickly cure stamina and health so I didn't ever need to sleep.
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

After looking at the video again I don't think you have the option to mix and match skills. That sucks.
Lex

Post by Lex »

We (at least me) still do not know spells. There is probability that some line of mage skills will have healing spells, so in theory you will be able to create mage specialized in healing aka priest. ;)
Hissssa

Post by Hissssa »

Yea but I was looking forward to the Dungeon Master build where you had a fighter making his own potions too :/