[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Skuggasveinn

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Also good troubleshooting is to export the model to obj, then clear the scene in blender, and import the obj back, can you see the texture now ? , does it have correct UV mappings ?, if not then the export wasn't successful, if its OK then the export is good and there is something happening on the LoG side, then take a look at your materials lua, take a look at your DDS (the power of 2).

on a side note - If the model looks good in GMT but gets scrambled inside the game its usually overlapping faces or edges, then you should clean the model using the "remove doubles" feature when you are in edit mode inside blender.

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
flatline

Post by flatline »

Skuggasveinn wrote:Also good troubleshooting is to export the model to obj, then clear the scene in blender, and import the obj back, can you see the texture now ? , does it have correct UV mappings ?, if not then the export wasn't successful, if its OK then the export is good and there is something happening on the LoG side, then take a look at your materials lua, take a look at your DDS (the power of 2).

on a side note - If the model looks good in GMT but gets scrambled inside the game its usually overlapping faces or edges, then you should clean the model using the "remove doubles" feature when you are in edit mode inside blender.

Skuggasveinn.
Double checked the export from Blender, it opens with correct texture in Blender if I import it again.

In GMT, the texturing is just a solid color as in the picture I posted. I'm thinking I have to name the material somewhere in Blender, or it just shows as "material" in GMT's replace function?
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Blender will always mess up your material name.
So in GMT you will have to rename the material on the model as it is defined in your materials.lua
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Hi Flatline, have you set the MeshSegment material names in the GMT to match up with a material that you've defined in Lua (or as a temporary Material on the 'Mats' tab?).

After importing your model, you should click on 'Nodes' on the right hand side, select the Object Node from the list (the one that highlights the Mesh red and enables all of the node transformation boxes on that same panel). At the bottom of that panel, you should see a drop down for the segments (material groups) in the mesh. Here you must enter the name for your material which should match the name of the material you have/will define in materials.lua.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
flatline

Post by flatline »

I've followed all the advice and discovered I had an old version of GMT, but nothing has solved the issue.

Here's the obj. file from Blender, feel free to check it out because I can't seem to get it to work.

http://speedy.sh/Detfy/tunnel4.obj
pferguso

Post by pferguso »

One issue I was having (and I'm a Lightwave 3D modeller) was that I had failed to assign the polys to a material within the modelling program. If there are no UVs assigned to the geometry, you won't be able to assign a material to that object in the GMT. It simply won't work. You might check in Blender to see if you have done this.
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

flatline wrote:I've followed all the advice and discovered I had an old version of GMT, but nothing has solved the issue.

Here's the obj. file from Blender, feel free to check it out because I can't seem to get it to work.

I downloaded the model, there are some "extras" inside the model file.
I get 5 meshes, your cliff side, thats correct and it has UV mapping applied.
But there are also 4 boxes that don't have UV assigned, 2 of the boxes are overlapping eachother and one box has been scaled to almost nothing.

I would get rid of these, bring you cliffside into the middle and export this again.
When I did that it showed up correctly inside the GMT.

Skuggasveinn.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Good points from both @pferguso and @Skuggasveinn. Just one more thing to consider (and you might have confirmed this previously but) you are using an image/diffuse texture on your model and not some algorithmic material generated by your 3D modeller? If you're using a marble or rock effect which is generated procedurally by your 3D modeller you will have to replace that with a fixed image texture instead.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
flatline

Post by flatline »

Skuggasveinn wrote:
flatline wrote:I've followed all the advice and discovered I had an old version of GMT, but nothing has solved the issue.

I downloaded the model, there are some "extras" inside the model file.
I get 5 meshes, your cliff side, thats correct and it has UV mapping applied.
But there are also 4 boxes that don't have UV assigned, 2 of the boxes are overlapping eachother and one box has been scaled to almost nothing.

I would get rid of these, bring you cliffside into the middle and export this again.
When I did that it showed up correctly inside the GMT.

Skuggasveinn.
Oh, that was it! I was just focusing on the texture issue and never thought of all the leftovers lying around. Works like a charm now, thank you for looking at it.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Why is it that only some of the models, when exported to .obj are massive when opened in blender?
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!