EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Komag

Re: EDITOR Feature Requests (not bugs!)

Post by Komag »

Teleporters have a small delay. That's something that I've had to deal with on many many occasions, trying to optimize and route things in such a way as to be very reliable and also fast when working with teleporters, such as giving enough time for the party to teleport before calling the next function, using pressure plates at destinations to be sure they got there first, etc.

If even just a few milliseconds of other stuff happens and that is added to the natural tele delay, you find yourself hitting the wall. Maybe it could work for your map to make that an illusory wall so there is no hit sound, but time for the teleporter to kick in? That probably won't work
Finished Dungeons - complete mods to play
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

petri wrote:About the schedule, I think we need to sync the release date of the patch with the mac version launch so that these new features will be out at the same time on all platforms. Otherwise mods would become incompatible until all versions are patched.

I'd like to do one more session of "Petri drinks beer and codes with you" before the release! Stay tuned!
Hopefully I'm awake for this one haha.

I agree with the scheduling idea.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Lots of nice things coming down the line :)

I know i'm late to the party but there is one thing that I would like to see, change in stairs or another class for stairs that have a destination field like the teleporter.
That way when you go down the stairs, you will arrive on a spot defined by the modder (just like teleporters) So if I have a giant forest area (hint hint) I can have way down into different levels that have different tilesets (cave, ruins etc etc)
Animation for stairs would play (walk up, walk down) and the fade to black, but at the end you would end up on the destination tile set by the target field. This can be optional options if you are using the same class for stairs, so if you don't but anything in the destination they would just behave like stairs do now, but having this option will give the modder alot of freedom when designing his adventure.

The drawback is pits and how pits work, but thats just something the modder will have to know and avoid (having the option outweights the problem with pits imho)

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Komag

Post by Komag »

you could hack the stair thing now I think. Make a custom model that is the stairs, then set a hidden plate to trigger the stair animation, then have a timer set off the teleporter after that. You could even include a party screen particle to do the fade-to-black effect
Skuggasveinn

Post by Skuggasveinn »

Komag wrote:you could hack the stair thing now I think. Make a custom model that is the stairs, then set a hidden plate to trigger the stair animation, then have a timer set off the teleporter after that. You could even include a party screen particle to do the fade-to-black effect
how do I trigger the stairs animation ?
Right now I have custom stairs that's just decoration class, and when you step into the opening you get teleported (with unseen teleporter), but I feel it breaks the immersion, you go like "what happend, did I go down the stairs or was it a trap etc etc.

Skuggasveinn.
Link to all my LoG 2 assets on Nexus.
Link to all my LoG 1 assets on Nexus.
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

Interesting thing of the day:
I was curious about Skuggasvein scenario (plus anything that could be done for that forest, must be done :D).

Tried:
  • Putting a stairs-down
  • Putting a hidden pressure plate over teh stair activating a timer
  • Putting a timer ticking 1 second, deactivated, linked to a deactivated teleporter pointing at l=3, x=7 y=6
  • The pressure plate activates the timer
What happens is:
  • I correctly see the "down the stairs animation"
  • I end up at lvl2/(7,6) instead of lvl3/(7,6)
If I enable the teleporter directly (without a 1 second delay) I can even see the party ported at level 3 and doing a stairs-up animation!

Weird.

Edit:
BUT - better news - if I just put the teleporter on the arrival stairs - thus on level 2 - I can't see the transition and I magically appear on level 3. It's still missing an animation part, but better than no animation at all. The additional level requested could then be a "hub" level (maybe with the "clear" wallset - the one where everything is black, just to be sure).
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
Grimwold

Post by Grimwold »

@xanathar.

this thread is relevant re magic stairs:
viewtopic.php?f=14&t=3865

When I tested it, I eventually managed to get everything set up how the poster intended (needed to install high-temple wallset to do so) and it seemed to work pretty well.
Xanathar

Post by Xanathar »

@Grimwold - wow thanks!
Waking Violet (Steam, PS4, PSVita, Switch) : http://www.wakingviolet.com

The Sunset Gate [MOD]: viewtopic.php?f=14&t=5563

My preciousss: http://www.moonsharp.org
LordYig

Post by LordYig »

There's definitely some great addition down the pipeline for the next patch ! Thanks Petri !
petri wrote:I'd like to do one more session of "Petri drinks beer and codes with you" before the release! Stay tuned!
I would have liked to be available for the last session...
If possible, an announcement for the next session would be great !
At least, if not feature requests and ideas, we could prepare and get a pack of beer in the fridge in advance ! :lol:

Edit:
Just a request I am currently thinking of right now, would be to add a more precise support for the keyboard layout or configuration of the game in the editor. I mean, this is obviously already supported for the preview window but not when building a dungeon level.

Moving the instance of an object/item around in the editor using "wasd" keys is nice on a qwerty keyboard...
But I am using an azerty keyboard and I am even using an alternate configuration where I am moving with the "azes" keys and not the default "zqsd" keys commonly used to reflect the "wasd" keys layout.

I don't know if that's make sense, but formulated in a different way, I simply want to move objects in the editor while using the same key layout as I am using when moving the party in the preview windows and in the game. Currently I am not able to do this.
Last edited by LordYig on Fri Nov 23, 2012 8:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Komag

Post by Komag »

I think the nature of this sort of thing is that it's a spur of the moment event