Is LoG a shameless copy of a classic?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
DrMadolite

Re: Is LoG a shameless copy of a classic?

Post by DrMadolite »

Jack Dandy wrote:Criticizing them for it sounds kind of dumb.
I agree completely, it's like saying that Half-Life 2 is a shameless copy of Doom. When will people learn what the word "genre" means lol.
The torch is your friend.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

1 game - unique.
2 games - rip off.
3 games - clone.
4 games - genre?
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
Soorg

Post by Soorg »

DrMadolite wrote:
Jack Dandy wrote:Criticizing them for it sounds kind of dumb.
I agree completely, it's like saying that Half-Life 2 is a shameless copy of Doom. When will people learn what the word "genre" means lol.
That's exaggerate there's a huge difference between Doom and HL2. In fact they are sort of opposite. There's at my knowledge no modern fps that tried a Doom approach ie most monsters quite slower than the player, and in fact many quite slow, many slow attacks and missiles, non smart monsters but number often make their strength, very polished secrets design including the design of hints, gameplay mostly based on ambushes and number of monsters, and more.

As some post highlight it, shameless just mean there's no effort to hide they tried copy the gameplay of Dungeon Master and that is true. But that was the original purpose so yes they didn't tried hide it. That said if the first level has too many puzzles that remind too much Dungeon Master, that feeling disappear quite fast. And from what I have seen of the game (playing level 10 I think), I don't like all design details but it's a brilliant clone, a clone that is dueling in term of overall quality with the best games of the genre.
Dr.Disaster

Post by Dr.Disaster »

Sol_HSA wrote:1 game - unique.
2 games - rip off.
3 games - clone.
4 games - genre?
Switch 2 with 4 :D
DrMadolite

Post by DrMadolite »

Soorg wrote:*snip*
My point is that it's self-explanatory that they're not trying to hide the similarity. Doing that would be exactly what they don't want to do. That's the whole point of making a game that attempts to revive the glory days of games like DM, EoB, Ishar, Lands of Lore and such games. That's what it means to be a game of that genre, too much deviance and you'll risk losing the fans of that genre because you're not staying true to the overall expected format.

Besides, these reporters are just silly, as there's no Dungeon Master game out now that would compete with this game. A game is generally only considered a clone when there's some contemporary original involved that competes with this game and makes people feel like the devs are just riding off the success of the original. Well, there isn't. Legend of Grimrock is the only game out now, for this generation (afaik).
The torch is your friend.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Go get Hotel Hades at the nexus and then tell me LoG is a Dungeon Master clone!

http://grimrock.nexusmods.com/mods
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
Soorg

Post by Soorg »

I do understand it was the point, to make a shameless copy of DM. It's not meaning it's the same game, nor a rip off apart for some puzzles but that doesn't count. But look at it fully positively or see it not fully positively is a matter of feeling, not real objectivity.

EoB 3 years after DM, and LoL 6 years after DM, did try continue the genre, both tried extend the DM formula. Legend of Grimlock didn't tried expand the formula. Because of this I consider it's understandable that some people can see it not fully positively and tag it a shameless copy of DM. I don't agree but I don't think the reviewer comment is scandalous nor totally stupid.

For me what save a lot Legend of Grimlock is that there isn't much games in this genre through the whole history and that there isn't any since a very long time. Also modern RPG tend have remove almost entirely the puzzles element and have one full of well designed puzzles is refreshing. That three reasons makes it for me a priceless game due to the overall quality.

But I also consider they tried stick too much to purely DM. A good example is that the class system could have been a bit more sophisticated. Or they could have some controls variations options like using a modifier key to switch strafe and turn commands. They could have add party splitting, or a curse system, or an in game manual map, or a sneaking system, or a parry action, or counter attack possibilities against some monsters, or combo abilities, or more light abilities and gameplay elements around lights, or NPC joining and with auto actions, or items interactions, and more.

They added difficulty settings, more polished puzzles progression, probably a better density of gameplay elements throughout the levels than the past classical, and obviously more modern graphics and custom keys commands. If you don't consider the merit but a pure achievement result, it makes sense to consider they didn't added enough stuff when compared to DM. And consider like i do that it doesn't matter because it's an excellent gameplay different than other modern RPG and a genre not seen often, it's more a different opininon/point of view than a better/more objective opinion.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Soorg wrote:EoB 3 years after DM, and LoL 6 years after DM, did try continue the genre, both tried extend the DM formula. Legend of Grimlock didn't tried expand the formula. Because of this I consider it's understandable that some people can see it not fully positively and tag it a shameless copy of DM. I don't agree but I don't think the reviewer comment is scandalous nor totally stupid.
Say what? =)

After playing LoG I dug up EoB for the heck of it and simply couldn't make myself play it. I was simply so spoiled with the better playability LoG has - and I'm not talking about the graphics. Simple little things like auto-pickup of throwables, etc. LoG is in the same genre as DM, but shameless copy? Hardly.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
Soorg

Post by Soorg »

You should expand the etc to give more strength to your affirmation. For EoB it is possibly a shameless copy too I haven't played it since a long time so for now I can't develop.

But for now you didn't bring enough on the table to change my feeling that it's coherent to see LoG as a shameless copy of Dungeon Master. And even that it was the initial goal. But that's subjective it's a balance between the similarities and differences between LoG and DM.
Hatti

Post by Hatti »

Daroou wrote:Must place my vote for Daroou... a few Lo-Ya and you were well on your way to cultivating the Ultimate Warrior/Mage with an unmatched patch of chest hair.
daroo was the best dm character for building a power house. but the best character of all for me was chani sayyadina sihaya. she was in every party that i ever put through DM.

ahh chani. i miss you so. how is usul mua'dib?