External Scripts / Organisation

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
3socks

Re: External Scripts / Organisation

Post by 3socks »

Grimwold wrote: Excellent tutorial! Thanks for sharing this.

Just to clarify one thing... does the code in step 4. actually replace the code we wrote in step 1. in our external lua file?
Yes, any code we assume to use later in other scripts needs to be encapsulated in a string, otherwise we will get nil exception. You can write your code directly as a string. I did it this way only to demonstrate it better.
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Hi 3socks and Welcome!! Tell us a little about yourself buddy, we always welcome poeple that a) know what they're talking about and b)take an interest in helping people refine their scripting.Did you just join up here? and if so, how long have you been using the editor and do you have any mods developed that i could check out? Sorry for being so nosy!!! Just that you obviously have alot of this down and it made me think"Wow! where did he come from?" Anyway, glad ta make your acquaintance, sir :)
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
3socks

Post by 3socks »

msyblade wrote:Hi 3socks and Welcome!! Tell us a little about yourself buddy...
Hey! Thanks for more than a warm welcome ;)
msyblade wrote:Did you just join up here?
Yes, I am a newcomer, a greenhorn in this comunity if you will :) I finished the game few days ago and was wondering if there's any other content to it. So I found that there's been a new patch, which comes with the editor and with additional reading I discovered that we can also make custom scripts and other customization. And I really like it!
From what I've read, I think that LOG authors' approach to comunity is taken from the right angle and it really is more personal than with other game companies. That's what I like and I wanted to be a part of it.

I started to play with the editor yesterday. I work as a Python programmer so it's not too difficult for me to understand a code, even if Lua language is pretty new to me. To work on a game like this is a dreamjob for me, so it immediately caught my attention. I'm glad I could help and I will try to engage in this even more. Haven't created any mods so far, but I am definitely planning to do so! :)
msyblade

Post by msyblade »

Awesome, I'm glad you take a liking to this kind of thing. This is the most awesome and supportive community I've ever been involved in (Web wise). Everyone is genuinely happy to be helpful on all subjects, I think you will really like it here.Check out some of the mods on the Nexus and Steam that these guys have built, there is a LOT of genius running around this place (things that just werent even conceived of when the editor was released). So many resources and specialties/backgrounds that everyone has come from that when any of us has an issue, or problem we don't yet fully understand, we post it here and a few of the guys that are great at that aspect (Say scripting :)) usually get together on the subject and come up with some awesome,simple, genius way of approaching it. Don't mean to ramble (yes he does!) but, if this is your kind of thing, boy are you in the right place!On the point of the developers supporting the community, They even pop in and say hi, read a few posts and help solve a problem or two they run across. Kinda reminds me of an old BBS atmosphere.
Currently conspiring with many modders on the "Legends of the Northern Realms"project.

"You have been captured by a psychopathic diety who needs a new plaything to torture."
Hotel Hades
SpiderFighter

Post by SpiderFighter »

Wanted to pop in and say "hi and welcome", 3socks. Thank you for that excellent tutorial (that I hope Konag will add to the Scripting superthread). msyblade is right; this is a terrific place, and everyone here supports each other, whether it be level design, graphics, or scripting...you're gonna fit right in. :D
msyblade wrote:Kinda reminds me of an old BBS atmosphere.
I love you, man. It's so rare to hear anyone reference BBSs these days (let alone be old enough to remember them!). I used to co-sysop one in upstate NY, and was sysop of another ("The Gameroom" with 100 doorgames). I miss those ANSI, 14.4 baud, Computer Shopper days sometimes. [/thread derail]