Suggestion: Old School mode with ingame map drawing tool

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
ZimbuTheMonkey

Re: Suggestion: Old School mode with ingame map drawing tool

Post by ZimbuTheMonkey »

Boeboe wrote:
ZimbuTheMonkey wrote:
Boeboe wrote:It works great in Etrian Odyssey because you got a second screen right below the main screen, that you can actually draw on using a stylus.
Having to draw an ingame map on the pc using your mouse would feel very awkward I think.

(though...maybe I should try making a grid-based PC mapper :))
I'm not saying we draw the map free-hand. We get a grid that we can assign walls to and make notes, that's very simple and easy to manipulate via mouse.

Watch the YouTube video I linked, it should do a better job explaining than I can.
I know, but on pc, you'd have to switch windows (even on dualscreen that still means you need to click stuff to activate), which breaks your gameflow.
Wait... why?

Press a key to open up a parchment (map) and that has drawing tools on it. It doesn't have to be on a different screen. Opening up your inventory, your character sheet, etc. Same thing with the map drawing.

And how is it more of a break from gameflow than leaving the mouse and keyboard and writing on grid paper? Remember, this would be an option for those that want it, not the default setting.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

Nothing against an ingame map drawing tool for noobs, but please DON'T call it 'old school.

This is how old school map drawing has to look like:

Sinshine

Post by Sinshine »

*Clap,Clap

memories :lol:
ZimbuTheMonkey

Post by ZimbuTheMonkey »

Mychaelh wrote:Nothing against an ingame map drawing tool for noobs, but please DON'T call it 'old school.

This is how old school map drawing has to look like:

Fair enough.

I just want a similar experience, but one that is contained within the game. Not sure why it warrants being called a "noob" feature though. You'd have in-game grid paper, rather than printed out grid paper.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

The noob designation was tongue-in-cheek (more or less).
But when it comes to 3d dungeon crawl mapping, 'old school' means you get NO mapping help whatsoever. That's how it was in the archaic 80's and early 90's of the last century.
You newcomers really should give it a try and take pen and paper. It gives a satisfaction, modern games don't offer anymore.
What you see in this picture are my hand drawn maps from EoB, DM, Bloodwych, Wizardry, Bards Tale etc, that I made 'back in the days'.

Edit: Right down, the diagonal lying map is Dungeon Master Level 8. It had a big hall with fireballs flying in a complicated pattern. That was really difficult to map...one could never be confident that it is save to stop and draw the map without getting hit.
Who detects Wizardry VI level 1?