[DONE] Grimrock Model Tookit

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Isaac

Re: [WIP] Grimrock Model Tookit

Post by Isaac »

Phitt wrote:Seems like my reply was a bit premature...I'm still facing problems. While naming nodes works as expected (and is recognized by the game) the animations don't work properly. A secret door I made moves along the positive y axis instead of the positive z axis. I reset transforms, so that's not the problems. I tried to rotate the pivot by 90° degrees, I even rotated the whole model by 90° (without resetting transforms), but it always only moves along the y axis. Don't know what else I could do. The only thing I noticed is that the 'local to parent' node coordinates are quite different to the ones from the original secret door model. Tried all three formats I can use, it's the same problem with all of them. Any ideas what might be wrong?
What format are you exporting from the from the modeler? (I had a recent issue with OBJs exporting from Blender with the default OBJ options causing my models to be mirrored on the Z axis.)

** I haven't tried importing any animations with the GMT yet... I start that tonight.
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

Isaac wrote: What format are you exporting from the from the modeler? (I had a recent issue with OBJs exporting from Blender with the default OBJ options causing my models to be mirrored on the Z axis.)

** I haven't tried importing any animations with the GMT yet... I start that tonight.
I tried ase, 3ds and stl. Obj doesn't work for me in this case as it doesn't export nodes properly. The model itself is fine, it looks exactly like it should look in game (nothing mirrored on any axis). It has to be a node problem, it is somehow rotated and I can't fix it. If you have any luck with exporting a working door let me know how you did it.
Last edited by Phitt on Sat Oct 27, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.
Huder

Post by Huder »

Just spotted little bug. GMT is crashing when you press node update button, while no model is presented.
Huder's Assets newest: Wooden Shield
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Phitt: I couldn't be a pain and ask you to send some files over? One thing to note is that the static mesh nodes are completely replaced by the animation bones when rendering as part of an animation (for the animated parts of the model anyway!) so changing the node transforms will have no effect on the look of the model during animations (that's all done in the bones.

My biggest problem is having a lack of test data, so I end up using random models from the Internet but who knows how they are laid out. I expect doors and the like require special nodes or structures too, but I won't get a chance to have a look at that until tomorrow.

@Huder: Thanks, I'll take a look over the weekend!
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

Grimrock Model Toolkit Release 0.3.3.0: Download from GMT Homepage

Image Image

The latest updates to the Grimrock Model Toolkit are focussed on working with @Phitt and @Isaac to work through some of the remaining import issues. The two main features of this release are...
  • Assimp Import Options Dialog: You can now use some of the Assimp import options through the import dialog. There are likely more options to come, I've just not figured them all out just yet.
  • Render Vertex Normals: There is an additional render option for rendering vertex normals. You can set the colour of the vertex normals in the app settings panel. Note, this comes with a massive performance hit as I regenerate the normal lines every frame they are rendered.
Note: I've decided to stop linking directly to the file download, as I've just started deleted some old builds and I'm aware that will generate some broken links from the forums. Also, I figure that it makes sense to see the download / install instructions without going back to the start of this thread every time. If people would prefer I go back to the old way, I'm happy to.
My Grimrock Projects Page with links to the Grimrock Model Toolkit, GrimFBX, Atlas Toolkit, QuickBar, NoteBook and the Oriental Weapons Pack.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

Well clicking on the first link in your sig takes me to the modding forum and not this topic.
I think I prefer the download link to point to your build page so I can see what's new when I download a new one.

Addition:
Is it possible to have the file load memory and the file save memory different?
This would help when I load constantly from the asset pack, but save constantly into my models folder.
Last edited by Neikun on Tue Oct 30, 2012 1:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Neikun: Forum signature fixed. Thanks for the spot. Link 1 now goes to this thread. Link 2 goes to the GMT Homepage.

If the general consensus is that it's more useful to save the 'last loaded path' different to the 'last saved path', then I am more than happy to do so :).

I've also added Huder's crash to my list (soon to go on Pivotal).
Phitt

Post by Phitt »

JohnWordsworth wrote:Grimrock Model Toolkit Release 0.3.3.0
This seems to have fixed my flipped normals issue. Only had time to test on a few models and I need to go to bed now, but if I uncheck the 'Fix In Facing Normals' option in the Assimp import dialogue the models I tested import correctly now (while before they had flipped normals on some parts).

Would be nice if the settings would be saved, when I restart the toolkit I have to uncheck it again (which wouldn't be a problem, but knowing me I can imagine that I import tons of stuff and then notice I didn't use the correct settings and have to do it all over again). If no one disagrees and actually finds the 'Fix in Facing Normals' setting useful then it may even be a good idea to turn it off by default.

And what about the tangent space calculation option? Is that your own calculation implemented into the import dialogue for convenience or a different one from the Assimp importer? Just wondering.

Nodes are still off (gate still moves along y axis instead of z axis), but I guess that's a problem with the way animations/bones work in Grimrock and not so much with the import functionality.

Again, great work! Thanks!
JohnWordsworth

Post by JohnWordsworth »

@Phitt: Promising news about the normals. Agree with saving user defaults - will also update to have that box off by default.

The tangent space option will use Assimps algorithm to generate tangents / bitangents which it can optionally run in the 'post import processing phase'. I assume its results are probably better than my algorithm as that Library has had much more development - but the more options the merrier eh!?

Will take a look at the nodes next :)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I've imported the default wooden door, and animated my best guestimate for the frame-count and time; (does anyone know the actual framerate and time of the door animation?).

What I find is that the Collada file imports [into GMT] properly, but many others import with the normals flipped, (even .Blend files; that also import rotated 90°).

I cannot get animatins to import except with Collada; and that imports and lists the animation by my assigned name ~but displays no discernible animation.

I could certainly be doing something wrong in Blender, but GMT did import [via assimp] the animation file.

How exactly does one import animation (I mean the way that has worked for others)?

The assimp library will import Blend, collada, and 3ds; in all but collada, I get a message that says, "Object reference not set to an instance of an object" ~and then no import of the animation.

Return to “Modding”