Random Map Generator

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Mameluk

Re: Random Map Generator

Post by Mameluk »

Alright, thanks for clearing that up, Juho.

More content is always good. And replayability. Stuff that keeps you playing.

Looking forward to seeing what you guys come up with. :D
nackidno

Post by nackidno »

One thing that would be awesome is some kind of challenge mode where you go through unlimited random generated dungeons that become harder and harder the further you get. There are some games that does this (various rogue likes comes to mind) but it would be a nice thing to go through once you've completed the normal game. In such a game mode, puzzle might not be the main focus thus it might be "easier" (that said, I don't know a lot about programming) to create. Just an idea. :)
Everything is hard before it becomes easy
Alaric

Post by Alaric »

nackidno wrote:One thing that would be awesome is some kind of challenge mode where you go through unlimited random generated dungeons that become harder and harder the further you get. There are some games that does this (various rogue likes comes to mind) but it would be a nice thing to go through once you've completed the normal game. In such a game mode, puzzle might not be the main focus thus it might be "easier" (that said, I don't know a lot about programming) to create. Just an idea. :)
I think you might be looking at Torchlight. :)
nackidno

Post by nackidno »

Alaric wrote:I think you might be looking at Torchlight. :)
Ugh, that game has horrible. But really, it would be nice to have such a feature.
Everything is hard before it becomes easy
webduck

Post by webduck »

we live in hope :geek:
havokstriker

Post by havokstriker »

I enjoy handcrafted dungeons as much as the next person, but harken back to the days of a particular game I thoroughly used to enjoy with me for a moment. A game titled Dungeon Hack.

Dungeon randomization was the backbone of that game, providing for endless amounts of entertainment to be had. You could randomize a wide variety of things in the dungeon by sliding a bar for each element of the dungeon left or right.

This allowed you to adjust the number of traps in a dungeon, amount of treasure, difficulty of monsters as well as how many monsters are generated, whether the dungeon had any water levels where the level was partially submerged in water. It also allowed you to choose to enable or disable permadeath among other features. I included a screenshot of the dungeon randomization screen from that game below to give you an idea of all the features it could randomize.

Another great roguelike game that utilizes dungeon randomization is Dungeons of Dredmor. I can respect and understand if the developers of this soon to be released awesome dungeon crawler game, decide not to include dungeon randomization in the game upon it's release. But the thought of it potentially being an added feature in a future update or dare I say it, future expansion?, gets me super excited of the possibility. It could even be a seperate feature or option apart from the main singleplayer campaign, thereby keeping true to the developer's handcrafted dungeons that were made specifically for the game's release. Either way, whether dungeon randomization is ever considered or not, a second feature that I'm sure people are or would be excited for is a dungeon level editor to allow us to make our own dungeons that we could share with the community.

Anyway, keep up the great work on the game and know that you have in me a day one preorderer and a lifelong fan of the game. Cheers! :)

zoggynog

Post by zoggynog »

I'll just be very excited to see DLC levels for a game like this. It will be the modern version of transferring my characters from Eye of the Beholder 1 to 2 to 3...with less floppy disks.

I can't wait.
ozmiz

Post by ozmiz »

havokstriker wrote:I enjoy handcrafted dungeons as much as the next person, but harken back to the days of a particular game I thoroughly used to enjoy with me for a moment. A game titled Dungeon Hack.

Dungeon randomization was the backbone of that game, providing for endless amounts of entertainment to be had. You could randomize a wide variety of things in the dungeon by sliding a bar for each element of the dungeon left or right.

This allowed you to adjust the number of traps in a dungeon, amount of treasure, difficulty of monsters as well as how many monsters are generated, whether the dungeon had any water levels where the level was partially submerged in water. It also allowed you to choose to enable or disable permadeath among other features. I included a screenshot of the dungeon randomization screen from that game below to give you an idea of all the features it could randomize.

Another great roguelike game that utilizes dungeon randomization is Dungeons of Dredmor. I can respect and understand if the developers of this soon to be released awesome dungeon crawler game, decide not to include dungeon randomization in the game upon it's release. But the thought of it potentially being an added feature in a future update or dare I say it, future expansion?, gets me super excited of the possibility. It could even be a seperate feature or option apart from the main singleplayer campaign, thereby keeping true to the developer's handcrafted dungeons that were made specifically for the game's release. Either way, whether dungeon randomization is ever considered or not, a second feature that I'm sure people are or would be excited for is a dungeon level editor to allow us to make our own dungeons that we could share with the community.

Anyway, keep up the great work on the game and know that you have in me a day one preorderer and a lifelong fan of the game. Cheers! :)

I don't think I have ever seen that game, as platform was that on?
LoG Survivor!!
Surviving Party: Mino - Fighter, Liz - Rogue, Insect - Mage, Human - Rogue
havokstriker

Post by havokstriker »

That was released on the pc in 1993 on the DOS operating system. Nowadays it requires a dos emulator like Dosbox to run the game in most versions of windows, but it is certainly a game worth going through the extra steps required to be able to play it if you've never played Dungeon Hack before.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Random dungeons don't excite me at all... Now a dungeon creation utility that allows fans to craft awesome new levels, that is exciting! How can a random dungeon be as good as that? :?

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...