Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
LawfulWaffle

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by LawfulWaffle »

Man, after reading these replies citing Amiga games I feel like the youngblood of the thread, even though I just turned 25. I spent a lot more of PC gaming freshman years playing adventure games, and as I got older I simply became more proficient in making older adventure games run on newer computers. I guess Etrian Odyssey was the first FP dungeon crawling game that I really lost myself in, not counting an introduction to Wizardry on my friend's NES years ago and the recent PSN demo. More recently, I suppose Arx Fatalis and Thief 3 would count, but I never got too occupied with them.

I've always been interested in dungeon exploring along these lines, though. In college, a friend showed off Lands of Lore on DOSbox and the idea of being able to find items in tree stumps and finding hidden switches in wall seemed incredibly cool. After pre-ordering LoG and reading this thread, I bought the LoL pack on GOG (so many acronyms!) and I'm really enjoying myself. Missed a character in the Draracle's (sp?) caves, apparently, so I have some back-tracking to do. Just like the good ol' days!

I'm using this thread as a primer on games of this genre that I should revisit, so if anyone has more pointed advice or thoughts on a game rather than why they liked it and why someone else should check it out today, I'd be interested in reading you thoughts.
Breogan

Post by Breogan »

Mines are :

Dungeon Master
Chaos strikes back
Eye of the Beholder 1 and 2 (3rd was not so good)
Lands of Lore
Black crypt
Ishaar 1,2 and 3
Stonekeep
Anvil of Dawn

These games are all awesome and I finished all of them at least 3 times. My favorite one is my first love : Dungeon Master. This game was an obsession when I was 10. It was too hard for me, but I used a walkthrough the 1st time. I remember it like it was yesterday.

It's good to see so much people loving dungeon crawlers. I feel alone when I talk about this kind of games with my friends ;)
brick

Post by brick »

By far my favorite was Dungeon Hack. I love the random dungeons, it made it really replayable. This is one reason why I was rather disappointed that grimrock does not have random dungeons... I do understand wanting to make a crafted experience, but I am hoping that you guys will see the light and maybe make a random gen mode :)
luthur1964

Post by luthur1964 »

"DungeonMaster "is the game that sucked me in, and I enjoyed the others that followed. Never finished "Chaos Strikes Back" - that one was extra tough. I felt that the mana & spell casting system was better than EoB series, etc. but I would never trade any those game experiences.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Brogar wrote:
jfunk wrote: Codename Iceman (OK - be honest, how many of you recognized that only from the spine of the box??)
Oh boy, a quiz. :D

Codename: Iceman... I didn't notice it the first time through, but looking again, it's the box between Gold Rush and Heart of China.

I have it sitting on my bookshelf of game boxes. But I swear I didn't look.
Well done. There's not a lot on the side of that box, but the moment I saw that torpedo memories of the opening beach scene came flooding back. Navigating the iceberg field...

I'm currently in the urbish mines of LoL1, Grimrock has me wanting to play so many old games again. Thank god for GOG.

That reminds me, 50% off all Might & Magic games on GOG right now, get'em while they're cheap!
MrX

Post by MrX »

For me it really started off with Mordor and then Mordor 2 that became "Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan" if I am not mistaken.
It was good that I found this game because I got really excited and bought Demise: Rise of the Ku'Tan & Ascension while I waited for Grimrock =)

For those who do not know what these two games are:
Modor: http://youtu.be/zNqJ3iV2kXI
Demise: http://youtu.be/kuJ3xEk3MBE
Last edited by MrX on Sat Apr 07, 2012 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
---------My YouTube videos---------
http://www.youtube.com/user/81MrX

Fun Run and Gun Clan
http://www.f-r-a-g.net
Edrondol

Post by Edrondol »

Wizardry. The original. When I was in high school this game came out. I didn't have a PC myself but my friend bought the game anyway and we played it on my school's computer. A couple nights we "broke in" and played for hours. (I say broke in in quotes because I had keys to a couple of the side doors.) In retrospect, it was kinda weird to break in to a school and do nothing more than to use their Apple IIe computers...
Stalkingwolf

Post by Stalkingwolf »

1.Chaos strikes back.
i know it is more an expansion on Dungen Master, but i liked the difficulty from Csb.

Edit:
my first Dungen Crawler was Sword&Serpents on the NES. also a good old Dungen Crawler
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=99H1Q-Jay64 <- Commercial Video :-P
He who fights with monsters might take care lest he thereby become a monster
skurg

Post by skurg »

The best dungen crawler ever made is Demise. I love this game. Legend of Grimrock looks similar and I decided to preorder. I wish Legend of Grimrock is half as good as Demise.
Emrendil

Post by Emrendil »

My first and favorite RPG was "Eye of the Beholder" and the sequel "Eye of the Beholder II". Played it on my Amiga 500 :)
Last edited by Emrendil on Sun Apr 08, 2012 12:14 am, edited 1 time in total.