Auto-map

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
HarpoonIPA

Re: Auto-map

Post by HarpoonIPA »

petri wrote:Don't worry, it doesn't show secret doors.
That's great to know, I was wondering how you were going to work around that. I assume there will be some special achievements that will be won when not using a map also.
nackidno

Post by nackidno »

Is it possible to make notes on the auto map? or put descriptive markers in case you want to point out something of interest?
Everything is hard before it becomes easy
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

nackidno wrote:...
Yep, they showed that in one of their blog posts.
It's one of the reasons I'm tempted to use the map- I love these kind of features!
nackidno

Post by nackidno »

Oh ok thanks! I haven't followed this game too long so I don't know a lot about the features. :P
Everything is hard before it becomes easy
Anaraavi

Post by Anaraavi »

I am an older gamer at 56 y.o. and have played RPG's for a looooooooong time hehe.

Back in the day playing the Eye of the Beholder and Bloodwych games, I spent many hours slowly mapping everthything, marking switches, stairs up/down, traps, finds etc on paper I graphed out myself in 5mm squares, and colour coded them all. Alas long gone now, still not sure what happened to them?

Right now having found Grimrock, I was instantly reminded of 'Stonekeep' and decided to download a copy from GoG at a reasonable price. In Stonekeep I use the map and it has facility to leave notes as well as showing hidden walls ONLY AFTER you have found them yourself first. I don't mind either system to be honest, either self made or ingame generated maps, so long as the maps ARE generated as one explores and not already set out for you.

I am looking forward to Legend of Grimrock a great deal, having found it due toa review on Rock, Paper, Shotgun sometime in the last couple of weeks.

So to the developers, a big thanks for a type of game that is now relatively thin on the ground. :)
The Journey Is Everything
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

Woah! We got ourselves a veteran here. Impressive!
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Yes, you can write notes on the automap.
Yes, it shows hidden areas once you've been there.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
DJK

Post by DJK »

Glad it doesn't auto map secret places ... I do agree using a generated map does spoil the wonders of being lost after testing your luck on a tele pad... So not sure if I'll use it or not.. remember stepping in my first tele Eye 1 (level 2) and it threw me right to that shiny golden keyhole which alas I did not have a key for at that time, also it took me a while in that ever changing labyrinth to get my bearings and was reliefed to suddenly realize I was back at where I jumped in, that feeling would be lost with auto map ofcourse...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Will we have teleporters and sections that spin you in circles and such? IE will having automap on make the game substantially easier, or is it just a time saver?

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Darklord wrote:Will we have teleporters and sections that spin you in circles and such? IE will having automap on make the game substantially easier, or is it just a time saver?
not having played the game without the auto-map, it's hard to say... But I guess there's a few places where the automap does make things significantly easier.

The game is definitely solvable without the automap, though.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..