Any Help For Arachnophobes?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
eisberg

Re: Any Help For Arachnophobes?

Post by eisberg »

Barney grimrock? kind of like Barney Doom back in the 90s :D
Jack Dandy

Post by Jack Dandy »

eisberg wrote:Barney grimrock? kind of like Barney Doom back in the 90s :D
Hahahahaa, good times. All the prisoners would be smoking smiley faces!
skynes

Post by skynes »

Darklord wrote:Are you guys ok with the crabs then?

I suspect once we get our hands on the map editor it may be easy enough to change spiders to something else.

Daniel.
Personally, I am. I can't speak for others, the similarities may still set them off (phobias are weird like that).
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

skynes wrote:
Will there be any type of mod to help out those of us who are deathly afraid of spiders? This game looks to be absolutely amazing, and takes be back to my dungeon crawler days.

I'm not ashamed to admit it, I scream like a girly girl and run the other way whenever I see a spider. I can't physically play Skyrim without mods, and I barely made it through Dark Messiah Might & Magic. I played EotB non-stop when I was a little'un, and I always dreaded the 4th level.
^ This.

Arachnophobia really cripples my ability to enjoy a lot of games, so any option, from changing their model to a crab to removing them from a spawn table entirely would be enormously appreciated. Fearing them doesn't add extra fun to a game, it makes me less likely to ever play it.
Pretty much this. I signed up just to say this. It is to the point where I was going to pre-order the game, but no longer will as I will genuinely be too scared to play it. No melodrama, just a crippling fear of spiders. Yes, this does hinder me with a lot of fantasy games.

I really hope something can be changed about this.

As an added question, I guess the devs read these forums?
ChrisColon

Post by ChrisColon »

Point08 wrote: Just remind yourself; it's only a game. If you wouldn't grab a sword and go hack people after playing, there's no reason to think a cartoon spider is going to attack you. :lol:
I believe there are different types of arachnophobia. Personally, I don't "fear" spiders. I "fear" sharks. I couldn't care less if a spider or something else hurts or kills me, the end effect is the same and the spiders around here are all harmless so I never fear for my well being when I think of spiders. I just can't stand how spiders look. You could compare it to looking at someone being eaten alive and I'm talking about real life here, not some movie. You would be disgusted, you could not make yourself look at it, your whole body would start trembling just from the thought of it because it's so horrific. That's what arachnophobia is like for me and I guess lots of other people too. It's not a fear that the spider is going to do something to me, it's that I can't bear to look at them.

I probably won't have a lot of trouble with spiders in this game, they are too different from real spiders to trigger my arachnophobia, only to a certain degree. But I'd still love to be able to deactivate spiders in the options :)
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

ChrisColon wrote:
Point08 wrote: Just remind yourself; it's only a game. If you wouldn't grab a sword and go hack people after playing, there's no reason to think a cartoon spider is going to attack you. :lol:
I believe there are different types of arachnophobia. Personally, I don't "fear" spiders. I "fear" sharks. I couldn't care less if a spider or something else hurts or kills me, the end effect is the same and the spiders around here are all harmless so I never fear for my well being when I think of spiders. I just can't stand how spiders look. You could compare it to looking at someone being eaten alive and I'm talking about real life here, not some movie. You would be disgusted, you could not make yourself look at it, your whole body would start trembling just from the thought of it because it's so horrific. That's what arachnophobia is like for me and I guess lots of other people too. It's not a fear that the spider is going to do something to me, it's that I can't bear to look at them.

I probably won't have a lot of trouble with spiders in this game, they are too different from real spiders to trigger my arachnophobia, only to a certain degree. But I'd still love to be able to deactivate spiders in the options :)
You know, that's a really good way of describing it. I may have to steal that for future use. :)
ChrisColon

Post by ChrisColon »

Ambrosia wrote:
ChrisColon wrote: I believe there are different types of arachnophobia. Personally, I don't "fear" spiders. I "fear" sharks. I couldn't care less if a spider or something else hurts or kills me, the end effect is the same and the spiders around here are all harmless so I never fear for my well being when I think of spiders. I just can't stand how spiders look. You could compare it to looking at someone being eaten alive and I'm talking about real life here, not some movie. You would be disgusted, you could not make yourself look at it, your whole body would start trembling just from the thought of it because it's so horrific. That's what arachnophobia is like for me and I guess lots of other people too. It's not a fear that the spider is going to do something to me, it's that I can't bear to look at them.

You know, that's a really good way of describing it. I may have to steal that for future use. :)
Thanks :) Feel free to use it however you please. No need for theft, I hereby release it under the WTFPL license. May it help you bring enlightenment to arachnophobia infidels.
Ambrosia

Post by Ambrosia »

ChrisColon wrote:
Ambrosia wrote:
ChrisColon wrote: I believe there are different types of arachnophobia. Personally, I don't "fear" spiders. I "fear" sharks. I couldn't care less if a spider or something else hurts or kills me, the end effect is the same and the spiders around here are all harmless so I never fear for my well being when I think of spiders. I just can't stand how spiders look. You could compare it to looking at someone being eaten alive and I'm talking about real life here, not some movie. You would be disgusted, you could not make yourself look at it, your whole body would start trembling just from the thought of it because it's so horrific. That's what arachnophobia is like for me and I guess lots of other people too. It's not a fear that the spider is going to do something to me, it's that I can't bear to look at them.

Thanks :) Feel free to use it however you please. No need for theft, I hereby release it under the WTFPL license. May it help you bring enlightenment to arachnophobia infidels.
Why thank you. Yay for DRM free metaphor. :D
skynes

Post by skynes »

A bump to say:

Played the game now, they freak me the hell out. Going to make playing this further very very difficult.
Emualynk

Post by Emualynk »

ChrisColon wrote:

Hearing someone say spiders is enough for me to lose control at times also a simple drawing of like a circle with 8 legs can trigger it.
On the other hand I'm perfectly fine with the crabs.
I'm not against behind scared, Amnesia scares me and I love that game, but spiders are just not bearable to me.