Problem with Doors and Locks

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
pcgneurotic

Problem with Doors and Locks

Post by pcgneurotic »

Hi all. I'm having a wee problem creating an unlockable door, and I don't know where I'm going wrong. I've got this:

a) gold key 1, gold lock, wooden door 1. Lock positioned next to door.
b) gold lock has Target wooden door 1 (Action open), and is opened by gold key 1. gold lock is then connected to wooden door 1 with an activator set to open it.

But when I try to use the key on the lock, nothing happens - the key isn't consumed, and the door remains closed. Laughably simple problem I'm sure. :D
Grimwold

Re: Problem with Doors and Locks

Post by Grimwold »

Unfortunately you can't specify which exact key opens the door... you have to pick one of the key types from the list. e.g. "gold_key"
petri

Post by petri »

Why is it unfortunate? For the player, all gold keys are identical.
pcgneurotic

Post by pcgneurotic »

Ah, bingo! Thanks for that. The numbered items will have been causing confusion in the 'Opened by' field then. Cheers. :)
pcgneurotic

Post by pcgneurotic »

petri wrote:Why is it unfortunate? For the player, all gold keys are identical.
It seems to me that having numbered keys for numbered locks provides more control over the player's progress. For example, they couldn't open a door too soon (if you didn't want them to, because that door should be opened by getting a key form finishing a puzzle), just by finding a similar key earlier on/somewhere else.
antti

Post by antti »

pcgneurotic wrote:
It seems to me that having numbered keys for numbered locks provides more control over the player's progress. For example, they couldn't open a door too soon (if you didn't want them to, because that door should be opened by getting a key form finishing a puzzle), just by finding a similar key earlier on/somewhere else.
It's advisable to do this by using different types of keys.
Steven Seagal of gaming industry
pcgneurotic

Post by pcgneurotic »

antti wrote:
pcgneurotic wrote:
It's advisable to do this by using different types of keys.
Variety is the spice of life - and dungeoneering too! :D
petri

Post by petri »

pcgneurotic wrote:
But the player has no way to distinguish between the correct and the wrong key. He would just have two identical gold keys in his inventory, and only one of them fits the lock which would be weird.
pcgneurotic

Post by pcgneurotic »

petri wrote:
pcgneurotic wrote:
But the player has no way to distinguish between the correct and the wrong key. He would just have two identical gold keys in his inventory, and only one of them fits the lock which would be weird.
Weird, true. But I think it would still be okay if you limited or controlled the situation, so that it would be *reasonably* clear that you needed a pair of matching keys for two near-by locks.

It would be great to have keys/locks that are uniquely namable, because then you could make them actual puzzles themselves, rather than just having the next necessary key be the next one you must find, as a reward for a puzzle or spotting a hidden panel etc.
Neikun

Post by Neikun »

If you want unique keys, (for whatever reason) my advice would be is to clone the key with the icon you want and give it a different name. Giving it a specific uiName will help the player distinguish the keys.
"I'm okay with being referred to as a goddess."
Community Model Request Thread
See what I'm working on right now: Neikun's Workshop
Lead Coordinator for Legends of the Northern Realms Project
  • Message me to join in!