Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
cryocore

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by cryocore »

gamehorder wrote:HERES A SECTION OF MY PC VINTAGE COLLECTION (minus Wow)... I haver a habit of posting this pic when I can too... Fav Grid Game is toss up EOB & LOL

GAMES
Sweet Jesus we have a very similar collection although your is more impressive. I NEED the Gold Box games, and the Might and Magics. If I wasnt married and a guy you'd totally be on my most bangable list.

You do lose points though for displaying the worst crime against RPGs. The Ruins of Myth Drannor is appalling. (I own it too, but its in storage with the rest of my collection).

Well done sir. Well done indeed.

[edit] Correction, I just realised I have to hate you. You have the original XCom and Terror From the Deep!!! Searched for those for years. Well Done, and I must hate you now.[/edit]
Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 »

Bane wrote:Surprised no-one has mentioned Captive that was well received at the time. Personally I never tried beyond a demo.
Such a pitty, this game absorbed nearly a year of my life, its designed in such a fassion that you could play forever and never beat it. but all the RPG elements are there, its a fantastic game that really brought some wonderfull first to the genere!

Captive is my favourite Dungeon/Maze crawler RPG game, I was even lucky to meet Anthony Crowther (the game writer) at a retro-computer show in black pool! yes.... I may of gushed like a girl... but I dont care!

My favourite Maze / Dungeon Crawlers

Captive ( lost my heart and soul into this one )
Eye of the Beholder 2 ( a true defining moment in dungeon crawling )
Bards Tale 2 ( A legend of D&D action on my humble micro! )
Abandon Places 2 ( music, graphics and a great story! )
Perihelion ( a truely wonderfull game that explores a lot of sub genres )
Ishaar 1,2 and 3 - stunning graphics and story!
Space Hulk ( mixed dungeon crawling with multi-sqaud tatics... and it had Terminator Amoured Space Marines fir christ sake! HOW AWESOME!! )

yes... I know... these are all avaialbe on the Amiga.... and rightly soo, its the best platform made of Awesome!
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Zetr0 wrote: Ishaar 1,2 and 3 - stunning graphics and story!
Good call, they are some faves of mine! :) Not played them in a while mind.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

I agree on Ishar. I'd never seen a forest area with such beauty and atmosphere. Ishar 2 was the first AGA game I ever bought/played and boy oh boy was it a looker it was in its day. A good one to use for bragging purposes.

you can get the Silmarils Gaming Collection for PC on gog/gamersgate. Works fine on Windows 7/64. I played a bit of the first one and had fun remembering. It plays okay. Truthfully, Amiga emulated AGA versions of Ishar (or non-AGA for that matter) is probably the way to go over the PC ones. I hate to take sales away from these oldie sellers, but it's just better on Amiga. Also, you won't have to deal with that maddening save system if emulated.

I'll say this...we should all be playing games on Amiga 50000s. In another reality PC died because of poor management and Amiga took over the world. :geek:
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
Brogar

Post by Brogar »

Abandoned Places 2 was the game that taught me how to use a hex editor. :D

I must of spent 2 or 3 weeks trying to find a way to open a door in the 3rd dungeon. There was no forum or walk-thrus available back then, only a hint book you could order from Germany. So I learned to use the hex editor and through trial and error figured out the x and y coordinates for my team in the save file and just edited them onto the other side of that damn door. That didn't help much because the next room was empty and also had a locked door which forced me to edit the save file again. By then I was having more fun editing the save file to see what would happen and never finished the game.

The whole ordeal taught me a very valuable lesson and if anyone knows what that lesson is... please tell me.

B^)...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Brogar wrote: The whole ordeal taught me a very valuable lesson and if anyone knows what that lesson is... please tell me.
If at first you don't succeed... Cheat. ;)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Brogar

Post by Brogar »

Darklord wrote:
If at first you don't succeed... Cheat. ;)

Daniel.
Why yes! I believe that is it.

And don't admit to it for many, many years and then only in a forum.

Thanks, Daniel

B^)...
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Man, SO many memories looking at those pics from your shelves. Games I forgot existed until just now.

Bad Blood! Dragonstrike! Conquests of Camelot! Colonel's Bequest! Silpheed! Sorcerian! Stellar 7! Lexicross! Codename Iceman (OK - be honest, how many of you recognized that only from the spine of the box??)

I want to go back and play all those games again right now.
Brogar

Post by Brogar »

jfunk wrote: Codename Iceman (OK - be honest, how many of you recognized that only from the spine of the box??)
Oh boy, a quiz. :D

Codename: Iceman... I didn't notice it the first time through, but looking again, it's the box between Gold Rush and Heart of China.

I have it sitting on my bookshelf of game boxes. But I swear I didn't look.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Brogar wrote:The whole ordeal taught me a very valuable lesson and if anyone knows what that lesson is... please tell me.
That cheating is another game completely, and can be surprisingly much fun. Just don't do it in multiplayer games, please. =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..