Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
GomJabbar

Re: Whats you favourite grid based Dungeon Crawler

Post by GomJabbar »

My 2 all time fav:

1- Crusaders of the Dark Savant
2- Menzoberranzan
Pre-orderer since 03/26/2012
EtrianO

Post by EtrianO »

Darklord wrote: I much prefer to be able to save after every fight.
I think it depends on style of the game - in BT or EoB encounters are rather short - well, compared to GoldBox for example, where battles can be quite epic. So in those "pure" crawlers I wouldn`t mind being able to save only at some places - it raises the tension and makes you watch your step and plan your forays into the dungeon much better.

@steff74
Pools Of Radiance, nosir, doesn`t pull no punches ;) I just started liberating Phlan again last week - wandered into a tavern with a fresh unarmed party, fight broke out, and suddenly I was surrounded by 30+ hostiles. It was so over the top I couldn`t help but laugh.
But it was a fluke - the game, despite being very difficult is also very fair. Difficulty is proportional to your party`s strength - so if you max the stats in creation the game will be more challenging. Also the battle system IMO is the best ever created - total control and myriad strategic gambits that make seemingly impossible encounters winnable if you play your cards right (and of course lucky dice rolls help too ;)

I recommend trying the Gameboy Advance version of Eye Of The Beholder - combines the FP dungeons of the original with GoldBox-lite combat. Not everyone`s cup of tea but I loved it.
stout

Post by stout »

Yserbius and Twinion. Definitely not perfect design by any means (in early levels any character can walk through just by using Shaman Scrolls to fireball everything; too much back-and-forth carpal clicking for attacks) but they have some good puzzles and some great atmosphere. First thing I'm doing with the mod tools for Grimrock is remaking the upper 'cano levels. ;P
synthetictruism

Post by synthetictruism »

EtrianO wrote:
Darklord wrote: I much prefer to be able to save after every fight.
I recommend trying the Gameboy Advance version of Eye Of The Beholder - combines the FP dungeons of the original with GoldBox-lite combat. Not everyone`s cup of tea but I loved it.
I have to admit - I tried EOB on the GBA, and I didn't get along with it, which was a shame... All very much down to personal preference. I do remember that "Towers" was released on the old GameBoy Color; I quite enjoyed that.

As for general favourite Grid based crawlers, I'd have to go with DM and EOB2.
Welcome back brave adventurers.
It is too bad you did not discover the true secret of the firestaff. Now that I have it I have no further need for you.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I'm a compulsive saver, I just don't what to do with myself without an autosave button, I probably save once a minute at least! Walk round corner F5, open door, F5, enemy! F5, kill enemy, f5. I just can't help myself! :oops:

To be fair I used to play a lot of games with techincal problems, so if you didn't save the game would probably crash, so I got into a habit of saving OFTEN. It stands me in good stead generally. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
synthetictruism

Post by synthetictruism »

Darklord wrote:I'm a compulsive saver, I just don't what to do with myself without an autosave button, I probably save once a minute at least! Walk round corner F5, open door, F5, enemy! F5, kill enemy, f5. I just can't help myself! :oops:

To be fair I used to play a lot of games with techincal problems, so if you didn't save the game would probably crash, so I got into a habit of saving OFTEN. It stands me in good stead generally. :)

Daniel.
also: not over-writing saves, so in case you screw up, you can go back a little further to an older save-game and play through a section a little more efficiently :D
Welcome back brave adventurers.
It is too bad you did not discover the true secret of the firestaff. Now that I have it I have no further need for you.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Well I do a proper save every now and then, and quick save the rest of the time, thankfully many games also have autosaves so between all those saves I'm normally good! :lol:

Nice Avatar by the way synthetictruism, I recognise that berserk fellow you have there! :P

Daniel.
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

petri wrote:My favorite dungeon crawler is Chaos Strikes Back. Only DM comes close.
Have you played Dungeon Master 2 or Stonekeep petri? If so, what did you think of them? Those were the games which got me into dungeon crawlers. Also Arcana on the Super Nintendo, but that's not in the same league.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

I really didn't like Stonekeep as you couldn't strafe left or right, that felt really basic after playing EOB. I have no idea how they could have missed out such a basic movement mode present in all it's predecessors... :o

Daniel.
petri

Post by petri »

glyn_ie wrote:Have you played Dungeon Master 2 or Stonekeep petri?
I played DM2 almost to the end and although they had made some nice improvements to the engine I didn't like it nearly as much as DM/CSB. In particular the cartoony graphics, sloppy coding on Amiga, irritating minions and lack of good puzzles put me off. Never played Skullkeep because it was not available for my Amiga.