Uninstalled It

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Rya.Reisender

Re: Uninstalled It

Post by Rya.Reisender »

I suppose he meant arcade game as "Game that is based on playing skill rather than grinding, and you get better in it not by leveling up your character but rather by getting better in playing it". It's pretty much the opposite of the traditional RPG that is based on stats.

I can partly agree with the OP, though. The puzzles are just too sadistic. REALLY wouldn't have hurt to give at least 1 second extra time for the player for all the timed sprints. Or at the very least make them easier on Easy difficulty.
I can honestly say that you could still feel an accomplishment even if you had 1 second extra time.

Also I personally think the puzzles shouldn't have strafing taken into account. With turning & walking only they should still be possible. But that's more personal thing because I really dislike strafing and I rather play with arrow keys than those weird QWEASD controls. X_X

I really liked the games but I still have to agree that some puzzles are too sadistic. They should only be this hard when playing on hard.
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Rya.Reisender wrote:I suppose he meant arcade game as "Game that is based on playing skill rather than grinding, and you get better in it not by leveling up your character but rather by getting better in playing it". It's pretty much the opposite of the traditional RPG that is based on stats.

I can partly agree with the OP, though. The puzzles are just too sadistic. REALLY wouldn't have hurt to give at least 1 second extra time for the player for all the timed sprints. Or at the very least make them easier on Easy difficulty.
I can honestly say that you could still feel an accomplishment even if you had 1 second extra time.

Also I personally think the puzzles shouldn't have strafing taken into account. With turning & walking only they should still be possible. But that's more personal thing because I really dislike strafing and I rather play with arrow keys than those weird QWEASD controls. X_X

I really liked the games but I still have to agree that some puzzles are too sadistic. They should only be this hard when playing on hard.
LoG is an [excellent!] example of genre of Dungeoncrawler; a style that was very popular in the 80's, but has not been seen since the mid 90's. The combat style, the puzzles, and the difficulty are spot on for a game of this type, and IMO should remain that way; it's certainly how I plan to craft my own maps once the editor is released.

**Some examples of other crawlers: Eye of the Beholder * Stone Prophet * Stonekeep * Lands of Lore
*And of course, there is this one... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-VSVaJOemEU
Funny thing about that... I would bet that every other dungeoncrawler made used the arrow keys; but QWASD has become the de-facto standard for navigation in FPP games... so of course they would make it the default. Like the games before, LoG also uses the [optional] arrow panel for the mouse, that lets you click arrows to move; (there is a really neat story behind why 8-) ).

It would be nice if they included re-mappable keys and perhaps three presets (including the arrow keys and / or the number jack) in the upcoming patch.
jontycampbell

Post by jontycampbell »

BigCTM wrote:I liked the game at first but all the timed and arcade like puzzles just drove me crazy. If I wanted an arcade game I would play Mario! I certainly do not want Mario like arcade puzzles in a hardcore RPG.

Still looking for a great old school RPG that is turn based instead of real time...Any suggestions?
Neverwinter nights? It's got a fantastic community - it's a turn based OR realtime OR kind of a hybrid...the choice is yours how you play. I'm biased being a bit of a NWN groupie myself lol

Yes, it's ten years old, yes the graphics aren't Skyrim, but think of it as a toolkit with a module tacked on.
jontycampbell

Post by jontycampbell »

BigCTM wrote:I liked the game at first but all the timed and arcade like puzzles just drove me crazy. If I wanted an arcade game I would play Mario! I certainly do not want Mario like arcade puzzles in a hardcore RPG.

Still looking for a great old school RPG that is turn based instead of real time...Any suggestions?
Just how old school are you willing to go :-)

The stuff I like and play was 'retro' and old school before they even invented the term :-)
Some of these commendations are so old school they are 8-bit.

Eye of the Beholder 1-3
Lands of Lore I (some say don't bother with II, or III until it's patched properly)
Dungeon Master and clones
Dungeon Hack Enhanced
Slash 'em

Isometric or plan view
-------------------------

Jagged Alliance 1 & II etc
Hero Quest
Temple of Elemental Evil (Fully patch it first)
UFO/X-com etc
Rebelstar/Rebelstar II on Spectrum 48K (See World of Spectrum)

Reraltime/turn-based hybrid
--------------------------------

Wizardry series (Wiz 8 is very complex & deep)
Realms of Arkania series
Arcanum (Realtime OR turn-based)
Neverwinter Nights II (You need hefty hardware/well patched)
Neverwinter Nights (You can easily make it turn based. More of a module creator with a game tacked on, really).

For me NWN is evergreen. More than 11 years on people are still using it, creating with it and the community is thriving with some excellent community created mods and scripts.

Can we say Skyrim will still be played in 11 years?
Sir Tawmis

Post by Sir Tawmis »

jontycampbell wrote: Eye of the Beholder 1-3
Lands of Lore I (some say don't bother with II, or III until it's patched properly)
Amen.
jontycampbell wrote: Jagged Alliance 1 & II etc
Hero Quest
Temple of Elemental Evil (Fully patch it first)
Hero Quest? Or do you mean HERO'S QUEST (later QUEST FOR GLORY)? If so, awesome choice.

As for Temple of Elemental Evil... that game is... unforgiving. Makes LOG look like a walk in the park. Because even from the start, if you don't go directly in the temple and wander around near the hill - you will suddenly find yourself fighting Hill Giants (I believe it was?) when you're still only Level 1... Needless to say, you won't have a prayer.
jontycampbell wrote: Wizardry series (Wiz 8 is very complex & deep)
Realms of Arkania series
Could not agree more; especially with ROA.
jontycampbell wrote: Neverwinter Nights II (You need hefty hardware/well patched)
Neverwinter Nights (You can easily make it turn based. More of a module creator with a game tacked on, really).
Amen to both, especially the first NWN.
Define ... 'Lost.' Neverending Nights - The Neverwinter Machinima that WILL make you laugh!
Also read: Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance here on the forum! Check out the site I made for Legend of Grimrock: Destiny's Chance.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Sir Tawmis wrote:Amen to both, especially the first NWN.
Yes, the first neverwinter nights was downright sick:

..no, I never played it. I believe you had to be a AOL user back in 1991 to play it..
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Sir Tawmis wrote: Hero Quest? Or do you mean HERO'S QUEST (later QUEST FOR GLORY)? If so, awesome choice.
I was actually a big fan of the board and computer game of Hero Quest, I was also a big fan of Quest for Glory.

I got out my copy of Hero Quest last year, (Board game) and gave it a go with some mates, we still really enjoyed it! :)

Some of the expansions are quite valuable now, I sold one rare expansion for £300! (Wizards of Morcar)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
jontycampbell

Post by jontycampbell »

I mean Heroquest. Runequest is good too, or if you want UBER retro hardcore, try this

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Sorcery-Shamuta ... _pr_sims_t
jontycampbell

Post by jontycampbell »

Here you go, they even fit on floppies - If you still want to use them for a trip down memory lane:

http://www.retrocpu.com/pc/games/genre/role_playing
petri

Post by petri »

Darklord wrote:I got out my copy of Hero Quest last year, (Board game) and gave it a go with some mates, we still really enjoyed it
Have you tried Descent Journeys In the Dark board game? We have been playing it here at the office and we like it a lot, it's like a Heroquest v2.0. The 2nd edition of Descent just came out and it's even better.