level 3 HINTS

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
mattdp

level 3 HINTS

Post by mattdp »

Hi,

Just got to the teleport puzzle on level 3. I've partly figured it out at least but ...
SpoilerShow
.. Having got the central trapdoor closed, and found the pressure plate that opens the portcullis, I can't seem to get through it in time before the item is teleported off the plate and the portcullis closes. I don't want a solution to this, but I would like to know whether that's the whole puzzle and it's just a matter of getting timing right to make it through, or whether there's something else I need to figure out.
Also, I found an iron door nearby. I've experimented with a variety of different combinations to get it open, many of which involved falling in pits a lot. Again I don't want a solution but ..
SpoilerShow
I've been experimenting with combinations of the pressure plate near the door, and the pressure plate and button down in the pit, so far to no avail. Am I on the right track? If not, could I have a subtle hint, NOT a solution, to start me off?
Thels

Re: level 3 HINTS

Post by Thels »

mattdp wrote:Hi,

Just got to the teleport puzzle on level 3. I've partly figured it out at least but ...
SpoilerShow
.. Having got the central trapdoor closed, and found the pressure plate that opens the portcullis, I can't seem to get through it in time before the item is teleported off the plate and the portcullis closes. I don't want a solution to this, but I would like to know whether that's the whole puzzle and it's just a matter of getting timing right to make it through, or whether there's something else I need to figure out.
You're on the right track, though perhaps you need to think of a more efficient way of doing it. From what I recall I had a good half second to spare.

Then again, what's your FPS? If it's really low, you might have to tune down your video settings.
mattdp wrote:Also, I found an iron door nearby. I've experimented with a variety of different combinations to get it open, many of which involved falling in pits a lot. Again I don't want a solution but ..
SpoilerShow
I've been experimenting with combinations of the pressure plate near the door, and the pressure plate and button down in the pit, so far to no avail. Am I on the right track? If not, could I have a subtle hint, NOT a solution, to start me off?
Best not focus on this door for now.
mattdp

Post by mattdp »

EDIT: Got them both now.
Thels wrote:You're on the right track, though perhaps you need to think of a more efficient way of doing it. From what I recall I had a good half second to spare.

Then again, what's your FPS? If it's really low, you might have to tune down your video settings.
I haven't checked the framerate, but I'm running an i7 with 2GB of video RAM, so I'd be surprised if Grimrock taxed it much.

More efficient? Step right, throw, step left, two forward. Not sure how you can be much more efficient than that. But the portal seems to shut before it's even open fully, as whatever I've left behind gets teleported off the plate.
Thels wrote:Best not focus on this door for now.
Ah right, that's helpful. Could have wasted a lot of time on that!

Thanks for your help.
Thels

Post by Thels »

mattdp wrote:More efficient? Step right, throw, step left, two forward. Not sure how you can be much more efficient than that. But the portal seems to shut before it's even open fully, as whatever I've left behind gets teleported off the plate.
That leaves room to a minor improvement. :)
Phreeze

Post by Phreeze »

i'm completely stuck on this puzzle so far. trap is closed (ok obviously the plate in the top right corner closes it..), door is closed, haven't been to the left.

plus i don't get it, what happens if the teleporter "down in the cave" fades by pressing the button (by down the cave i mean the room, when you fall down in one of the 2 traps before the teleporter puzzle)...

i could use some more advices (i'm a casual player and don't want to spend more than 15mins on a puzzle, time is precious ;) )

thx for advices !
Phreeze

Post by Phreeze »

edit, solution or hint should be here:
viewtopic.php?f=13&t=526&p=6827&hilit=+level%2A3#p6827