Party import

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
mattdp

Party import

Post by mattdp »

Hi,

Was thinking the other night that it's a bit of a shame that Grimrock has such well mapped-out skill development, but the core game doesn't offer enough levelling opportunities to properly explore it in one play-through, or give you the chance to try out super-powered combination against super-tough foes.

To that end, I wondered whether there was any value in including the ability in the level editor for people to create dungeons into which you could either import a party that had already finished Grimrock, or generate one at an appropriate level?

Just a thought. I don't write the code, obviously, so it ultimately might be too difficult/useless.

Cheers,
Matt
Ixnatifual

Re: Party import

Post by Ixnatifual »

That would be really need. Although not exactly the same genre of RPG that Grimrock is, that was how the SSI Goldbox games worked. Eg. Pool of Radiance started your characters at level 1, but in Curse of the Azure Bonds you could either import your PoR party or create new characters at an appropriate level.

One cool thing about custom dungeons though is that we can make them super deep so we can reach much higher levels than in the standard LoG dungeon. Especially super deep combat focused dungeons will be easy to gain loads of XP in. And I'm sure there'll be plenty of those.
Jirodyne

Post by Jirodyne »

Also if a dungeon needs you to start at a higher level, the Dungeon Master can just have you spawn near a lot of Skill point books.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

You could probably script that the players get 50,000 XP upon arriving at the first dungeon floor.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Ixnatifual wrote:You could probably script that the players get 50,000 XP upon arriving at the first dungeon floor.
That wouldn't work very well.

If they would like to spend the skill points on anything that raises Vitality or Willpower, it should normally grant a bonus at all later levelups. If you give a bunch of levelups at once, the raise to Vitality or Willpower would no longer affect those levels.
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

IMO they should work retroactively anyway.
glyn_ie

Post by glyn_ie »

You can import parties with the save editor. Just copy and paste the character data from one save to another.
5hassay

Post by 5hassay »

It would be cool, and doable, but I don't know how well it work.

I think what might be better is a program that is record of all your adventures on separate games, which can show all their glory in some pleasant way.
theruler

Post by theruler »

5hassay wrote:I think what might be better is a program that is record of all your adventures on separate games, which can show all their glory in some pleasant way.
great. Some sort of Embedded Historical browser.