Pre order...Direct or GOG?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Shiva

Re: Pre order...Direct or GOG?

Post by Shiva »

EtrianO wrote:Just buy it here if you can - it`s rather logical that this is the way devs get the most money. Gog/Steam are the middle man no matter how you look at it.

Tech support? Once you download it what can possibly go wrong - apart from getting stuck on a puzzle?
And you do have tech support right here on this board and some pretty active developers! I dont think we will miss steams support, really :D
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

EtrianO wrote:Tech support? Once you download it what can possibly go wrong - apart from getting stuck on a puzzle?
I dunno, disconnected cables, mangled driver installations, cola poured into the computer, that sort of thing.. the game doesn't work! And there's smoke coming from the computer!
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
eisberg

Post by eisberg »

DJK wrote:
Jack Dandy wrote:Yeah, ordering directly is the best way to go. You get both a steam key and a standalone installer, AND the developers get the money directly without Steam/GOG cutting out their share.
How can this be true ? Valve surely must be getitng something even when ordering from Grimrock.net ? I mean you get a steam key, meaning the key must have been generated by Valve and they pay for the costs of bandwith of people downloading from steam...
Steamworks is free for any developer/publisher to use, they just need approval from Valve to use, but there is no charge, even for the bandwidth used for downloading the game. If a developer/publisher wants a store presence on Steam, then Valve gets a cut of any sales from the Steam Store. So when you are buying the game from Almost Human, and they give you a Steam key, Almost Human does not have to pay Valve for that key they sold you.

So buy direct, cause neither Valve, or GoG get a cut of the sales from Direct sales.

http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/
EtrianO

Post by EtrianO »

Sol_HSA wrote: disconnected cables, cola poured into the computer, that sort of thing
That plus your cat`s tail caught in PSU fan falls on hardware side of things, any ol` game/soft has a disclaimer protecting against such claims. As for inevitable "help fatal exception in module xxx" - as Shiva says, we got the forum with active devs and plenty of old school, battle hardened geeks ;)
TZO2k12

Post by TZO2k12 »

I absolutely went with the gog route, as I do not want my game tethered to no-one's servers, that said, steam does have the most user-friendly DRM scheme (If that's even possible!) but given the choice, gog is my default for purchasing games, Amazon being my second and steam being third.
Last edited by TZO2k12 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.
petri

Post by petri »

TZO2k12 wrote:I absolutely went with the gog route, as I do not want my game tethered to no-one's servers
Please note that with direct purchase from us you also the same standalone version. Just wanted to point it out so that false information does not start circulating.
petri

Post by petri »

eisberg wrote:Steamworks is free for any developer/publisher to use, they just need approval from Valve to use, but there is no charge, even for the bandwidth used for downloading the game. If a developer/publisher wants a store presence on Steam, then Valve gets a cut of any sales from the Steam Store. So when you are buying the game from Almost Human, and they give you a Steam key, Almost Human does not have to pay Valve for that key they sold you.
So buy direct, cause neither Valve, or GoG get a cut of the sales from Direct sales.
http://www.steampowered.com/steamworks/
Yes, that's right. Steam (or GOG) does not charge for copies bought directly from us.
TZO2k12

Post by TZO2k12 »

petri wrote:
TZO2k12 wrote:I absolutely went with the gog route, as I do not want my game tethered to no-one's servers
Please note that with direct purchase from us you also the same standalone version. Just wanted to point it out so that false information does not start circulating.
Gahhh, I wish I would've know that before I did it through gog! I would've ordered straight through to you guys had I known...But at least it's with gog, and of course, now that I know this, I'll be sure to purchase my future titles with you guys! :D
Last edited by TZO2k12 on Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.
petri

Post by petri »

TZO2k12 wrote:Gahhh, I wish I would've know that before I did it through gog! I would've ordered straight through to you guys had I known...But at least it's with gog, and of course, now that I know this, I'll be sure to purchase my future titles with you guys! :D
No worries! :)
GomJabbar

Post by GomJabbar »

I'm sorry too because i'm one of the bad guys that bought off GOG...
Hope you'll not remotely block my game because I bought it elsewhere.

I still want to let you know that I love you anyways :P
Pre-orderer since 03/26/2012