[spoilers] Old School Glory

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Gekko

Re: [spoilers] Old School Glory

Post by Gekko »

Bought the game from the Steam sale today. Baby steps, but I feel 20 years younger already.

http://imgur.com/UE1bn

Screw teleporters.
LiamKerrington

Post by LiamKerrington »

Hi.

Yeah, it caught me as well - the old-school-fever. But I am not sure, if there is glory to it. 'cause I had some trouble drawing the maps. Here are some examples ...

Lvl 1 was not so much of a trouble; it ended like this:
SpoilerShow
But then lvl 2 struck. Since my choice of the starting point was poor, I had to deal with "borderline-syndrom"; and when I finished that level, I decided to take scissors and tape in order to rearrange the map. This is, what it looks like:
SpoilerShow
I was not so happy about that, which is why I did not repeat this on the subsequent maps. This would be lvl 4, which is almost the climax of insanity:
SpoilerShow
Luckily lvl 6 was not so much of a problem - which applies for most maps; so this example is a good example for how most of my maps look like:
SpoilerShow
Thanks a lot @AH for pulling/ pushing me back into the past. :)

Also ...
Gudadantza wrote:I like mapping interactive fiction games when I am in the mood.

Mapping is fun.
But With time, space and a bit of patience mapping with paper and pencil is worth the time. A lot of great drawings and detailed levels can be very rewarding.
AND
dbgager wrote:I think drawing maps fufills another need that some of us have..The artist/architect in us...and adds a great deal to the game.
I agree. There is a lot more to drawing maps then just feeling the urge to give yourself some means of orienteering or to close a UI-gap between you, the game-content and the game-engine. And you, Gudadantza and dbgager, have nailed these additional "purposes" ... Thank you for highlighting this ...

All the best!
Liam
At the end of my first time with "the Legend of Grimrock" - played on default-party, hard, old-school mode:

My first time
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

Nice maps. The hard thing for me is to know where to start the first square :lol:
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Good stuff! Moved to Gameplay Hints. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...