Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
machao

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by machao »

Can we get an approximate release date? week ? month? :D
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

machao wrote:Can we get an approximate release date? week ? month? :D
"When it's done" :lol:
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
machao

Post by machao »

I rly hate to wait :mrgreen: i want to try this awesome editor ;) If we want change items like weapons (damage for example) we need to know coding ? if its possible. That would be rly awesome to customize items. Illimited items and maps :mrgreen:
Leto

Post by Leto »

Come on guys, please stop those fancy creative ideas with game file patching, texture blending etc... trust me, this will not work. And I don't mean technically.

What I mean is: It will work for a minor number of modders, but it will not support and vitalize a real modding community, which is a big deal for longevity in the game industry today. AH has to adopt their rules for the dungeon editor.

And by the way: if they don't change the rules, it isn't really "modding" (modification), it is patching or creating add-ins etc. :)
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Leto wrote:Come on guys, please stop those fancy creative ideas with game file patching, texture blending etc... trust me, this will not work. And I don't mean technically.

What I mean is: It will work for a minor number of modders, but it will not support and vitalize a real modding community, which is a big deal for longevity in the game industry today. AH has to adopt their rules for the dungeon editor.

And by the way: if they don't change the rules, it isn't really "modding" (modification), it is patching or creating add-ins etc. :)
It's only intended for a minor number of modders; and their rules [understandably] prevent art distribution. If they made it a turn-key process to adjust the official entity skins; without distributing those assets, then we'd get re-textured monsters from those relatively few modders that would do it. Mods would only be better for it.
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Leto wrote: And by the way: if they don't change the rules, it isn't really "modding" (modification), it is patching or creating add-ins etc. :)
Uh, you got it backwards. Creating custom levels isn't modding, but altering existing things is.
raf68

Post by raf68 »

I Pétri a question will it be possible to do some monster that moves in groups with the level editor ???
such as dead people that moves or 4 kinds of worms that moves by 2 it would be very nice if it would be possible because in RTC return to chaos it was not possible
Leto

Post by Leto »

Lmaoboat wrote:
Leto wrote: And by the way: if they don't change the rules, it isn't really "modding" (modification), it is patching or creating add-ins etc. :)
Uh, you got it backwards. Creating custom levels isn't modding, but altering existing things is.
This was exactly what I meant.
dogtown1

Post by dogtown1 »

I can see the reason for the rule on no assets being edited, its to prevent theft

at the same time, if the editor was to make it to a site similar to the Nexus, I think there would not be much traffic
in order to create awesome new dungeons with new walls, lights, sounds, meshes.. there will be some edited original content

I know nothing on the legal junk behind protecting your work, I know that even with that rule, if some indie game developer wanted to use your stuff, that rule is not gonna stop them

but that rule will put a huge damper on the number of mods created for the game and possibly the number of new gamers coming in to see these cool new mods
raf68

Post by raf68 »

Pétri my question when I start a new dungeon later if I could spell Expansion continue working on my dungeon continuing to add the new object and wallset monster extension ????