Eye of the Beholder

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Radioman970

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Radioman970 »

Geraldine wrote:
Radioman970 wrote:We bought my niece and nephew an a500 when they were small and used to playing games on an NES. They loved Chuck Rock and Pinball Fantasies on it. Recently my neph, married with a child now, was asking about it. it's stored at their grandparents..
:o Was just re-reading this thread when I saw this!

Was this A500 a "Plus" model Radioman970? A Plus model is easy to identify as it has a badge on the case saying A500 Plus. If so, you must (without switching it on) open it up right away and remove the battery or it will eat the motherboard!! Once done clean the area with lemon juice (to neutralise the acid from that bad boy battery) then give the whole board a good clean and leave to air dry for about 3 days. Then seal up the battery site with nail varnish to protect it. Result, a Miggy that will run for even more years. :) The battery is usually pale blue and barrel shaped, you cant miss it. A1500, A2000, A3000 and A4000 models also suffer from this. Don't worry about removing it as the Amiga does not need it to run, it's only there to run the real time clock. A500 (original models), A600, A1200 and CD32s are unaffected by this, although their capacitors can fail, but that's another story.

Basically, if it was a standard A500, your ok, although if it had an expanded memory card, it too may have a battery that needs removing.

And good for you Zero, those classics are hard to beat! 8-)
Been away for a bit...

The 500 they have is probably not a plus.

I sold my original A500 with the memory card.

I'll have to get that A1200 out sometime and take a look. But glad to hear the CD32 is okay.

thanks for that info!!
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
Geraldine

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by Geraldine »

Thought I would re-visit this thread with some retro gaming news. Heroes Of Might & Magic II now has an Amiga port if any of you Amiga owners fancy giving it a go, look for details and download link here http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=48831
Geraldine
Crawling about dungeons since the 1980s :D