Old Games

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Kght74

Old Games

Post by Kght74 »

I wasn't around to play late 80's and 90's games so when I here about games like dungeon master and eye of the beholder I feel like I am missing out on something. Are these games really that good, if so are they better than Legend of Grimrock. Also is there anyway that I can possibly play these games now.
leewroy

Re: Old Games

Post by leewroy »

Well, I was there to play these games but never bothered. Tried to play many AFTER playing legend of grimrock, and in my opinion all of them sucks in comparison, starting from the graphics, of course.

You can find them on the internet, it's easy. Just google them. :)
Crash

Post by Crash »

Yes, these are definitely worth playing. Dungeon Master is available in many formats, but one of the easiest may be "Chaos Strikes Back for Windows (and Linux, OSX, PocketPC)

There are versions for each "Dungeon Master" and "Chaos Strikes Back" in the download section. Start with the "Dungeon Master" version first.

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=node/851

Here is a list of some of the other "Dungeon Master" clones:

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/Clones

The original "Dungeon Master PC" for DOS can be used but may require a DOSbox emulator.

Here is a list of user created dungeons for various clones, such as "Dungeon Master PC", "Chaos Strikes Back for Windows", "Return to Chaos", and others

http://dmweb.free.fr/?q=view/CustomDungeons

The "Eye of the Beholder" series may require more effort to get running, such as configuring the DOSbox emulator and aquiring the games themselves. EOB 1 and 2 are very good while 3 was not quite as good.

Cheers
Lyverbe

Post by Lyverbe »

I bought my Atari ST because of Dungeon Master. I was still happy with my good old Atari 130XE but DM wasn't available for it. I'm so very glad that I was there when DM came out. I was 19 years old back then.

Dungeon Master was one hell of a great game and it opened the door to a new genre just like Doom did. The graphics were fantastic for it's time (1987) and the game play was pretty nice too. Of course, if you compare it with today's graphics, you'll obviously say that it's horrible, but graphics are not everything. Arcades in the 80s were 1,000,000,000 times more fun than today's arcade which consist of nothing more than simulators (cars, bikes, quads, jetboats, skis, etc.). Simulators, simulators, simulators... bah... but I digress.

To answer your question, yes, I do believe you missed something by never playing Dungeon Master. If you ever do, play it for the game, not for the graphics.
Thels

Post by Thels »

leewroy wrote:Well, I was there to play these games but never bothered. Tried to play many AFTER playing legend of grimrock, and in my opinion all of them sucks in comparison, starting from the graphics, of course.

You can find them on the internet, it's easy. Just google them. :)
It's of course no contest between graphics. LoG, released around 20 years later than the other games, towers vastly over the other games in that regard. If decent graphics are a big thing to you, then no, you will not enjoy the other games.

Other than graphics, the differences are pretty minor. There are actually things the older games have, like NPCs and dialog, that LoG sadly lacks of. I enjoyed LoG, but not as much as say, EoB back in the day.

If you can get your hands on the games, then simply download dosbox (free, available on multiple platforms), and you should be able to run them just fine.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Moved to General Discussion.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Kght74

Post by Kght74 »

Thanks for the help. Played on the first Dungeon Master and after 15 minutes I found out that it is very hard :)
I don't know how you can possibly follow what you have done and where you have been. But I thought that it was worth a try. Cheers for the help.
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

Kght74 wrote:Thanks for the help. Played on the first Dungeon Master and after 15 minutes I found out that it is very hard :)
I don't know how you can possibly follow what you have done and where you have been. But I thought that it was worth a try. Cheers for the help.
Well, following what you have done and where have you been used to be easier because, at least in my place, DM was a sort of "multiplayer" game - not everyone used to have a computer those days so usually several person met and play together. For example my two best friends usually visited me and we played DM together: one person operated keyboard and mouse, the other one was drawing a map with notes, and the third one played a role of general assistant (helpful comments, remembering things or just getting snacks from the kitchen). It's easier to remember where have you put those @#$%! bone necklace if there are three of you staring at the screen ;-)
Everyone participated into party creation as well. One person was responsible for one character (the forth one has been chosen by my little sister, she felt more important and was much less annoying thanks to that).
pulpum

Post by pulpum »

hey! I played DM as you!

but we were two. drawing the map is essential. I remember "generation 4" (french magazine, february march 1989 issue) has made a little book with all the maps from dungeon master ... it was very nice...

you should forget the graphics, the gaming experience is very very cool! :mrgreen:
ad&d / ff / d&d
Kght74

Post by Kght74 »

I didn't have a clue to do for the character selection so I just did what I knew and learned from legend of Grimrock and had 2 fighters at the front and a rogue and mage at the back. Never thought about drawing a map, just used to auto mapping. I am terrible at DM :). Will try but don't think just one of me is enough.