Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Garcy

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Garcy »

The best code is that of which has been broken the worst :P

Good luck mate, and keep up te good stuff :)

*Goes back to code also*

Cheers
Garcy
Billick

Post by Billick »

petri wrote:Time to refactor some game code! Editor progress will be on hold for a day or so but once this is done map handling should be a lot cleaner. I hope I don't break anything! (Great coders never break anything, right? :P )
If you've never broke anything you're not a programmer :lol:
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

Ugh, I really need to finish editing my Doom WAD before this editor is done.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

While Steam is good I think your program must be written with steamworks in mind so I think that will be a no go there. I don't know enough about nexus to say a absolutely. Though I would also suggest you look at curse. They have been set up for addon/mods and have the power to handle heavy stress (WOW major updates). They have their own little viewer/installer the places mods where they belong there by eliminating thousands of emails asking why XYZ mod doesn't work because the user installed it in the wrong directory or something. Until later Keep up the good work.
Chromie

Post by Chromie »

Isaac wrote:
Thels wrote:
Tomm wrote:I think integration with steam workshop would make LoG shine even more.
That sounds like you require Steam to use the mods. Bad idea.
Agreed. I bought the non-Steam version primarily to avoid Steam. Having the editor be Steam entangled would defeat the purpose.
How about the Steam users get workshop support? Anyone else you bought it from Gog or anywhere else can still use what they had planned? Skyrim has workshop support after all but people can use Nexus reguardless.
Wholley wrote:While Steam is good I think your program must be written with steamworks in mind so I think that will be a no go there.
Well they added Dungeons of Dredmor and Naval War to the Steamworkshop so I don't think so.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Wholley wrote:While Steam is good I think your program must be written with steamworks in mind so I think that will be a no go there. I don't know enough about nexus to say a absolutely. Though I would also suggest you look at curse. They have been set up for addon/mods and have the power to handle heavy stress (WOW major updates). They have their own little viewer/installer the places mods where they belong there by eliminating thousands of emails asking why XYZ mod doesn't work because the user installed it in the wrong directory or something. Until later Keep up the good work.
Addons and mods are pretty different, though.

With LoG, mods are probably built around a custom dungeon, so you only run a single mod at a time.

With WoW, you run various different addons at the same time, each addon doing different things to your game.

The Nexus seems like a good option.

As for games that release both on and off Steamworkshop, are you sure that all mods are available on both, and not that for some of the mods the author compiled them separately for both platforms and most other mods would only be available on one of the other. If the latter, supporting the Steamworkshop would mean supporting that half the users will not be able to play half the mods.
wowmail

Post by wowmail »

Billick wrote:
petri wrote:Time to refactor some game code! Editor progress will be on hold for a day or so but once this is done map handling should be a lot cleaner. I hope I don't break anything! (Great coders never break anything, right? :P )
If you've never broke anything you're not a programmer :lol:
Amen bro! Amen! I remember coding my first Dos poker game, every revision was.001 lol didn't even light up until 3.02.
Kader

Post by Kader »

For an example of an Indie dev with Steam Workshop support one need look no further than Dungeons of Dredmor by Gaslamp Games. (they are quite open about how to use the workshop over in their modding forum)
Depili

Post by Depili »

Steamworks has it's merrits of being simple, but in the end the nexus might be better for us having more customization. Also if there is a update to the dungeon you are running currently that breaks save games steam would auto-update it, which isn't that nice...
Billick

Post by Billick »

I haven't used Nexus for anything. Steam Workshop is pretty nice, but I don't think the people who don't want to use Steam would be able to use it.
Halls of Barrian - current version 1.0.3 - Steam Nexus
Me Grimrock no bozo!