Combat should be turn-based

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Luj1

Combat should be turn-based

Post by Luj1 »

Im fine with timed puzzles (as some old dungeon crawlers had featured them) but I think the combat should be turn-based, and exploring (crawling) should remain real time. It'd solve us a big deal of trouble. In real time you can outmaneuver any enemy with strafing and kill it. Plus LoG endgame gameplay feels more like an action game than a dungeon crawler. So what do you think?
RPG veteran
Mychaelh

Re: Combat should be turn-based

Post by Mychaelh »

Luj1 wrote:... LoG endgame gameplay feels more like an action game than a dungeon crawler. So what do you think?
I think we had this discussion before and came to the conclusion that LoG is all and foremost a perfect modern clone of the revolutionary grandfather of the '3D Real-time Dungeon Crawlers' - 'Dungeon Master.
...If the world stops while you "take your turn", then by definition, it's not real time—it's turn based. In Dungeon Master the world never stopped and waited for you—not while sleeping, not while looking through your inventory, and certainly not while you were presented with your "turn" to do something. In DM there are no turns...you can take any action, or not, at any time. So I think the previous designation as the first 3D realtime RPG is valid, unless there is another example other than Alternate Reality. —Doug Bell talk•contrib 05:54, 5 November 2006 (UTC)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Talk:Dunge ... ideo_game)
Welcome to the forum. :)
Luj1

Post by Luj1 »

LoG is based on Eye of the Beholder too (and others) not just DM
RPG veteran
Thels

Post by Thels »

Luj1 wrote:LoG is based on Eye of the Beholder too (and others) not just DM
And Eye of the Beholder is realtime as well, unless you count the dialog moments, which in deed freeze the game, but they are so few and far between.
Mychaelh

Post by Mychaelh »

DM started it 'big time'.
EoB was 'just' the SSI AD&D reduced DM-clone with nice graphics.
LoG is more DM and has nicer graphics then EoB.
:)
Tungsten

Post by Tungsten »

Oh please no, the combat is fine as it is, but spell casting could be made easier, it would be nice to have an spell ready icon for each hand for Wizards.
FreeBooteR69

Post by FreeBooteR69 »

Add my vote to keep it as it is. Stay true to the DM/EOB formats.
Archlinux FTW!
wowmail

Post by wowmail »

Tungsten wrote:Oh please no, the combat is fine as it is, but spell casting could be made easier, it would be nice to have an spell ready icon for each hand for Wizards.
Agree 100%. It's my only complaint.

On a side note, I told my son about this game, he said " Not my type" (He likes Diablo 3). Well. I got him to try it, and hes hooked! Buying a second copy as I type this :)
leewroy

Post by leewroy »

My opinion is that the combat fits well, no need to put it turn based.
trancelistic

Post by trancelistic »

Sorry, but I'm strongly against turn based fights. It takes away the creepy feeling. Do wish monsters had a beter A.I though. I think dungeon master 1 monster even has a beter A.I. At least they find you and open doors you've closed. IN this game, i could run like 2 coridors and sleep, they won't find me, not to mention close a door and im save...

Kinda disapointing:(