OK, so now a personal question or two.

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
London Pride

Re: OK, so now a personal question or two.

Post by London Pride »

1: How old are you? /37
2: Where are you from? /London, United Kingdom
3: Top 5 RPGs (however you define them)? /Dungeon Master /EOB /Bards tale games /System shock /Icewind Dale
4: Top 5 non RPGs? /Fairlight /Day of Defeat /RTCW /Sanitarium /Syndicate
5: What was the game that made you a gamer? /Knight Lore
6: Which era in you opinion produced best made the best RPGs? (defnitions at bottom of post) /Golden
7: What is your gaming platform of Choice? /PC
8: On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is ultra casual gamer, and 10 is obsessive uber geek where would you place yourself. /used to be 10 /now im more of a 7 :)
Codpiece of Doom

Post by Codpiece of Doom »

1: How old are you? 29
2: Where are you from? Liverpool, UK.
3: Top 5 RPGs (however you define them)? Dungeon Master, Baldurs Gate, Fallout, Angband, Morrowind.
4: Top 5 non RPGs? Elite, Batttle Bakraid Unlimited, Tie FIghter, Monkey Island, Chaos Engine.
5: What was the game that made you a gamer? Pole Position home port on the atari 2600.
6: Which era in you opinion produced best made the best RPGs? (defnitions at bottom of post) Silver age, but Golden age a close second.
7: What is your gaming platform of Choice? PC
8: On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is ultra casual gamer, and 10 is obsessive uber geek where would you place yourself. 7 possibly and 8!
"There are some who call me 'Tim' ?"
"...greetings, Tim the Enchanter."
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

1: How old are you?
2: Where are you from?
Louisiana, US
3: Top 5 RPGs (however you define them)?
Fallout 3, Deus Ex, Earthbound, Daggerfall (still awaiting XL), Skyrim
4: Top 5 non RPGs?
Psychonauts, original Spyro the Dragon Trilogy, Burnout Revenge, Driver: SF, Monkey Island 2
5: What was the game that made you a gamer?
Pajama Sam on whatever Macintosh that ran OS 8 at the time
6: Which era in you opinion produced best made the best RPGs? (defnitions at bottom of post)
Silver Age
7: What is your gaming platform of Choice?
PC, although I still use a controller excessively
8: On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is ultra casual gamer, and 10 is obsessive uber geek where would you place yourself.
About a 7, I don't play games nearly as much as I research them nowadays.
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Fnord

Post by Fnord »

Stockholm, Sweden

Not a fare question :( Ask me today and I'll give you one answer, ask me tomorrow and I'll give you another.
Planescape Torment
Ultima 7
Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines
Morrowind
Fallout

Much like above, ask me tomorrow and you will get a different answer
Dwarf Fortress
Victoria 2
Riven: Sequel to Myst
Majesty: The fantasy kingdom sim
Super Metroid

Super Mario Bros was the first game that really hooked me (previously I had played a few Atari 2600 games, which were fun, but did not hook me the same way). Civ 2, Stars!, Fallout, Shadowrun (SNES), Super Metroid, Sim City, Daggerfall, Shadowgate and a few others really helped cement my "gamer" status though.

6: Which era in you opinion produced best made the best RPGs? (defnitions at bottom of post)
Not an easy question either. I have problems with games that are too old, mainly due to their interface, sound and grind (I hate grind). I think CRPGs managed to reach a state that appeals to me during the late 80's and early 90's, but then I can find great games in both the Silver & Modern era. Most modern era games are games that I really like offers a good amount of character customization, games like Morrowind & Drakensang, and not ARPGs, like Mass Effect (Mass Effect is a series that I think has a great story and setting, but uninteresting gameplay).

From everyday gaming: PC
For on the couch multiplayer with friends: Wii

8: On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is ultra casual gamer, and 10 is obsessive uber geek where would you place yourself.
I am a borderline über geek, so probably around an 8... That is if you expend the definition a bit. I play pen & paper RPGs, wargames like ASL, miniature wargames like Warhammer & Battletech, and I'm even writing my own board game. I also have a large collection of PC games, and spend a fare amount of time playing them each day (though I'm not the stereotypical geek in my behavior).
Kthanid

Post by Kthanid »

1) 30

2) US

3) Only 5? I guess off the top of my head I'll say (in no particular order):
Eye of the Beholder
Nethack (and Hack before that)
Daggerfall
Baldur's Gate II
Legend of Zelda

4) Again, impossible to choose only 5, but here's a few (again, in no particular order):
X-COM: UFO Defense
DOOM
Wizard of Wor
Amnesia: The Dark Descent
Counter-Strike
EDIT - Lovecraft thread required that I come back here and add a 6th - "Alone in the Dark" was one of the best games ever (now I have to stop thinking about this, or I'll spam this thread with dozens and dozens of my favorites in both categories).

5) Krazy Kritters (Atari 800)

6) Best era of RPGs is definitely pre-"modern" age, and my personal favorite era in those you specified is probably "the Golden Age", but there were a lot of awesome games both older and newer than that.

7) PC - Everything else pales in comparison (though I do own a plethora of other systems including a pair of Bally Astrocades, Atari 800 & 2600, NES, SNES, SEGA Gensis, Xbox, Xbox 360, and Wii).

8) Somewhere in the 7 to 8 range, probably. Growing up and starting a family has taken a bite out of my personal gaming time, but deep down I'm a fairly hardcore gamer at heart. Both programming and playing games has been a passion of mine for (quite literally) as long as I can remember.
GomJabbar

Post by GomJabbar »

1: 31
2: Quebec, Canada
3: Planescape Torment, Baldur's Gate 1/2, Dark Sun, Crusaders of the Dark Savant, Diablo 2
4: Half-Life series, Sid Meier's Civ 2, Warcraft, Dune, Mech Warrior
5: Doom 1
6: Silver Age
7: PC
8: 7.11
Pre-orderer since 03/26/2012
maskedhobo

Post by maskedhobo »

1: 28
2: Texas, USA
3: Baldur's Gate, DIablo, Zelda, Shining Force, Phantasy Star (no order to these)
4: Half-Life, Warcraft, Battlefield 1942, Resident Evil, Ninja Gaiden (too many to really list)
5: Rambo Forst Blood Part 2 on Commodore 64.
6: The era I came from would have to be Silver Age, but I think Golden Age had the most influence.
7: PC for games like this, and Xbox for my action fix.
8: I would have to say 8, would go higher if I had more time to nerd out.
Last edited by maskedhobo on Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Gotta dungeon crawl before you can dungeon walk...
TZO2k12

Post by TZO2k12 »

1: How old are you?-->
I'm of the gen-X crowd.

2: Where are you from?-->
North Eastern United States.

3: Top 5 RPGs (however you define them)?-->
Early 16 bit era Jrpgs, The Tes series, Ultima Series, InterPlay/Black Isle era, and EOTB series

4: Top 5 non RPGs?-->
Ecco the dolphin (Game that got me into gaming) MGS 2, Tomb Raider series, Unreal series, and Legacy of Kain..Not a non-RPG, but meh..

5: What was the game that made you a gamer?-->
Started with Ecco the dolphin, stayed with Zelda/FF, and evolved into the Interplay/Black Isle and PC gaming as a whole.

6: Which era in you opinion produced best made the best RPGs? (defnitions at bottom of post)-->
I was caught in the silver age, as it was a great time for cRPGs, also it was the same time that consoles peaked then started to suck for JRPGs coming to the U.S. it wasn't until My first PC game that I started back up with the classics

7: What is your gaming platform of Choice?-->
PC, along with 16-32 bit era emulation and dosbox.

8: On a scale of 1-10 where 1 is ultra casual gamer, and 10 is obsessive uber geek where would you place yourself.-->
I drift between 8-9 I also was a videogame collector, I had invested well over three grand over multiple consols and games, which I had to sell...I'm quite addicted.. :mrgreen:
Assumptions are the practical logic of the ignorant.
BigRob154

Post by BigRob154 »

30 (1981)

Germany

Baldurs Gate II, Arcanum, Fallout 2, NWN 1, Skyrim

GTA San Andreas, NFS Shift, Half Life 2, Batman Arkham City, Tomb Raider (yay)

Uff, on Amiga Zak McKracken i think.

Silver

PC / Mac

Around 6.5
Vermis

Post by Vermis »

1: 33

2: Norway, not any city but living in a house in the deep woods and loving it!

3: EotB, EverQuest, Baldur's Gate, Fallout 2, Ultima Underworld, System Shock, Jagged Alliance 2

4: Star Control 2, Alone in the Dark, Tie Fighter, Civilization, UFO: Enemy Uknown, Stalker, Warlord series, Battle Isle... can't pick 5 :(

5: Some Atari 2600 game, then C64 games like Last Ninja and finally Amiga 500 to give me the coup de grâce with Dungeon Master, EotB etc.

6: Golden Age! Late eighties to mid/late nineties.

7: PC

8: Geekscale: 8