Random Map Generator

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
CanadianWolvie

Re: Random Map Generator

Post by CanadianWolvie »

Nachtfischer wrote:
S0ny_B1ack wrote:What about (just a weired idea) an random map generator, which could take as an input some handmade smaller map pieces too and it would than integrate those into the random dungeon (so it would be possible to add some interesting puzzles, which would be found in a mostry randomised dungeon).
Would be quite possible. Dungeons of Dredmor creates pretty neat random dungeons from pre-made rooms (or room combinations) for example. :)
Brogue would be another example that does this pretty well.
Nachtfischer

Post by Nachtfischer »

CanadianWolvie wrote:
Nachtfischer wrote:
S0ny_B1ack wrote:What about (just a weired idea) an random map generator, which could take as an input some handmade smaller map pieces too and it would than integrate those into the random dungeon (so it would be possible to add some interesting puzzles, which would be found in a mostry randomised dungeon).
Would be quite possible. Dungeons of Dredmor creates pretty neat random dungeons from pre-made rooms (or room combinations) for example. :)
Brogue would be another example that does this pretty well.
But it's not that obvious there. ;)
By the way, Brogue generates the key-door-puzzles randomly, too.
Kthulhu

Post by Kthulhu »

I personally tend to agree with those that prefer handcrafted dungeons. Handcrafted dungeons can be created to make sense in a way that randomized ones never will. I'm an old school tabletop RPG player, and I've seen a few "Randomized Dungeon" products, and they never compare to decent dungeons that have actually been planned out. Now it's true that I seriously doubt that Legends of Grimrock will be able to stand up to something like Rappan Athuk, but I'd like it to make more narrative sense than, say, Dungeon Hack.

A good discussion of drawing dungeons can be found on http://story-games.com/forums/comments. ... onID=12181. Yeah, it's focused on tabletop RPGs, but the same concepts can apply to computer dungeon crawls.