Optional turn-based mode?

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Xorg

Re: Optional turn-based mode?

Post by Xorg »

See the thread "I was foriced to give up at Level 4" where the same issue is being discussed.

This game would have much larger appeal if it elimimated the arcade elements (not appropriate for an old school dungeon crawl) and "Easy" really meant easy.

Peter
Crashbanito

Post by Crashbanito »

Xorg wrote:See the thread "I was foriced to give up at Level 4" where the same issue is being discussed.

This game would have much larger appeal if it elimimated the arcade elements (not appropriate for an old school dungeon crawl) and "Easy" really meant easy.

Peter

While I don't agree that the arcade elements should be removed as many people including myself rather like the fast paced nature of the game, I do agree that at some point alternative forms of play would be a nice addition to the game. A turn based mode would be a fantastic addition, but several aspects of the base Grimrock Dungeon would have to be modified in order to get the timing of the traps and puzzles correct. As soon as more mod tools become available I'm sure somebody will be up to the challenge. ;)
Grimrock FAQ | If you see something fishy, flag that post! | My Gaming/Tech Blog
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Xorg wrote: This game would have much larger appeal if it elimimated the arcade elements (not appropriate for an old school dungeon crawl)
Legend of Grimrock is a homage to Dungeon Master which also had timed reflex puzzles.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

Darklord wrote:
Xorg wrote: This game would have much larger appeal if it elimimated the arcade elements (not appropriate for an old school dungeon crawl)
Legend of Grimrock is a homage to Dungeon Master which also had timed reflex puzzles.

Daniel.
Also... (While Turn based games are a favorite of mine) Dungeon Master and LoG, EoB, LoL, and the rest, are not turn based games. They should not become so either.

There seems to be a misunderstanding about TB in general that is very common... Many people assume that TB is a delay... that a delay makes a turn based game. That if LoG added a delay to all actions, that would make it a turn based game; it would actually just make it slower but otherwise unaffected. There is a well meaning mod for Fallout 3 that adds a timed delay and a message that says, "your turn" or "their turn", but all this does is prolong a simple fight, and that's all it would do in Legend of Grimrock. To make it a turn based game would require redesigning the basic mechanics of the game so as to make actions more significant, and give the player multiple options to weigh before deciding what action they will take. Also... TB games where you just have the option to attack or run from a single opponent (which is most of the early combat in LoG) are basically a slower version of a click-fest like Diablo. To make TB interesting [IMO], the maps would generally have to be opened up more, and the number of opponents increased ~everywhere.
** And then you have to consider when a monster follows you into a dynamic trap room and all the combat is turn based. You would need to reconcile the timing of the trap-doors and lightning launchers with actions done during the combat round.

This might mean that the party could possibly open a gate, attack an enemy though it, and close the gate without error ~ever. Or (in the right locations) that the party could always end their turn with a backstep (or switch use) and open a pit between them and their attacker ~ and repeat this indefinitely.
Limba

Post by Limba »

I think LoG is harder in turn based because usually attack is last phase of turn. So you can't use side walk in combat after attack. Meaby casting is easier becuase you have time to cast spell. Meaby use spell cooldown of 3-4 turns.

I never seen dungeon crawling game in real turnbased mode but they wait sometime for player to do something. Heroes of Might and Magic and first of UFO games is turn based. In these games you have to end your turn :)
nbringer

Post by nbringer »

I would also like a turn based mode.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

Isaac wrote:To make it a turn based game would require redesigning the basic mechanics of the game
Indeed! Requests to add a turn-based "option" to Grimrock are misguided, and show a complete misunderstanding of the type of gameplay that Grimrock is paying homage to.
random409

Post by random409 »

I dont think turn based mode would fit to world of grimrock, as everything happens so quickly, but good idea if done well.
Baked maggot is awful.

Pit Bread is nice

PIE IS AWESOME!
Friendlyhobo

Post by Friendlyhobo »

Xorg wrote:

Peter

With the soon to be released Level Editor / Creator im sure yourself or one of the other community member will jump right onto a project that will limit the reflex requirement that some think this game has..
Personally, I'll be creating a dungeon that will make full use of every feature this game has to offer and maybe a few more once t he modding community are fired up.
Trenchsoul

Post by Trenchsoul »

gambit37 wrote:
Isaac wrote:To make it a turn based game would require redesigning the basic mechanics of the game
Indeed! Requests to add a turn-based "option" to Grimrock are misguided, and show a complete misunderstanding of the type of gameplay that Grimrock is paying homage to.
I kinda disagree that its misguided; I have played Dungeon Master, Lands of Lore, Might and Magic: World of Xeen, etc to name a few. I admit that this game is closer to Dungeon Master but its still closer to the old Might and Magic titles (turn based) than anything else on the market today. I would love to see a turn based mode for this game; it also would give modders a completely new set of rules to work with if they wanted to. If they plan to support modding on a grand scale then wouldn't it just be twice as awesome if the engine could be used for both sides of the same coin?

I would continue with real time for the current game, if I had the choice, but I would literally jump up and dance around giggling like a japanesse school girl if I found a good might and magic clone project being worked on by the modding community using this engine for its graphics. I have played so many of these, from Eye of the Beholder to Menzoberranzan and none of them had the charm of Xeen, the best 2 might and magic titles.

I miss the old grid based rpg's; some things shouldn't ever vanish into time no matter the technology. Imagine what castlevania SOTN graphics could do on modern DVD.. I could dig a castle being about 20X as big.. What about an old SNES top down JRPG, it could tell the story of an entire novel in extreme detail and still have room for a ton of extras. /sigh I love modern gaming but just don't understand why theres so little of the old school left in it.. especially with services like XBL arcade.