Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Kalivos

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Kalivos »

I am soooo excited for this to be finished and released. :D
Leto

Post by Leto »

Ixnatifual wrote:I wonder if it'd be possible to add skybox ceilings for outdoor areas such as this.
I doubt there will be skybox support, but I would also like to see it implemented ... Not only to build outdoor areas, but also to just build windows. Would be great to have a look outside the dungeon (if it's not belowground of course ;-) ), could add good amount of atmosphere.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Ixnatifual wrote:I wonder if it'd be possible to add skybox ceilings for outdoor areas such as this.
They did that before in EoB2: Temple of Darkmoon as well. However, it's not as easy to implement in LoG.

On the old days they suggested 3D by smart use of 2D images. LoG is actually a 3D game and even allows for free look. It also has a lot more lighting support. So instead of having "Trees with twilight air" walls, they would actually have to calculate the sky. Not that it can't be done, but it'll be a lot more tricky than another wallset.
Leto

Post by Leto »

I don't think that it is really hard to do it. Actually this is one of the most basic features of an graphics engine. Just a few lines of code in modern APIs and there you go, basic skybox support ;) But still I think it's not on Almost Human's todo-list.
Okari

Post by Okari »

Thels wrote:
They did that before in EoB2: Temple of Darkmoon as well. However, it's not as easy to implement in LoG.

On the old days they suggested 3D by smart use of 2D images. LoG is actually a 3D game and even allows for free look. It also has a lot more lighting support. So instead of having "Trees with twilight air" walls, they would actually have to calculate the sky. Not that it can't be done, but it'll be a lot more tricky than another wallset.
There is always the shortcut around this problem of "the sky is foggy... everywhere." and just have a ceiling of fog. then you would just need to make the bottom shapes of trees or buildings, etc. and they reach up and vanish into the fog. Leaves more work for the imagination but oh well.
SodanKerjuu

Post by SodanKerjuu »

Thels wrote:They did that before in EoB2: Temple of Darkmoon as well. However, it's not as easy to implement in LoG.
Actually it should be quite simple.
Only thing you need is a shader for the ceiling to make it look like a distant sky.

Any .dds texture can be sent to graphics card as cubemap with simple instruction from the engine side, but for a dungeon setting you don't even need that, angular map will be enough in most cases.

So just the ability to assign custom shader to a ceiling (or a custom model that will be placed to obstruct the real ceiling) will be enough.
Wholley

Post by Wholley »

Ahh...at last, progress resumes tomorrow I hope. But I hope the staff got fully recharged and their Wife's/Girlfriends/Significant Others are happy to have had some 1 on 1 time with them.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Aye it's been quiet, to quiet. :(

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
azidahaka

Post by azidahaka »

and diablo3 doesn't work at all.. :roll:
Ixnatifual

Post by Ixnatifual »

They're playing Diablo 3 instead of progressing with the dungeon editor.