Set Bonus?

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Darklord

Re: Set Bonus?

Post by Darklord »

Indeed please be nice guys.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Marak

Post by Marak »

I dunno, both sides have points.

Those against the addition of set bonuses feel that additional stats on top of what the individual pieces grant might be "too much" or "too good" and thus require that the individual pieces be tweaked to be less powerful. It also opens up the trap of "must wear full set no matter what because that's what is optimal", meaning that some players will adhere to the Set itself to the exclusion of all else, and limiting gear choices in a game like this is always a terrible thing.

On the other hand, those for the addition of set bonuses feel that they can add flavor to the game, since each set would become even more unique, regardless of whether the set bonuses add stats or some cosmetic thing. They would also (further) reward the thorough player who hunts down all the secrets and finds all the pieces of a given set. Finally, it opens up the potential for gear dilemmas: do you stick with the full set to get X bonus, or swap out Y item because it's better for Z purpose?

I dunno. Personally I'd kinda like to see a non-stat-based set bonus added - something like the aforementioned Free Light for full Valor, or the full Lurker set making the entire party be a constant state of uber-sneakiness, so that you have to get much closer to monsters before they notice you. That would be much more interesting to me than "equip 5 pieces, gain X stat and Y stat, whee" and it would require less tinkering with numbers to keep it from being too good.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Marak wrote:I dunno. Personally I'd kinda like to see a non-stat-based set bonus added - something like the aforementioned Free Light for full Valor, or the full Lurker set making the entire party be a constant state of uber-sneakiness, so that you have to get much closer to monsters before they notice you. That would be much more interesting to me than "equip 5 pieces, gain X stat and Y stat, whee" and it would require less tinkering with numbers to keep it from being too good.
Actually, certain non-stat bonuses might be better than stat bonuses (unless you intended for the stat bonuses to be huge). While stats are nice, you can beat LoG with really poor stats, whereas something like not being noticed by monsters as much can be really helpful!
billyh

Post by billyh »

I agree with this idea... and I don't understand the strong opposition to it.
There should be a bonus of some sort if you complete the set... whatever it is. It should encourage you to try to find them all and keep them together.
This isn't just a Diablo thing. Many many RPGs have done this since the start of paper and pencil gaming, onto the Final Fantasy's and alike and in games now as well.
People are right in saying that they don't have to "copy every other game out there" but really, doing this is not unexpected. LoG has incorporated many standards from old school RPGs and, if they didn't, people would not be happy. This is a reasonable suggestion.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

I thought I wouldn't post in this thread anymore, but now I just have to ask:
What does it matter if the devs put set bonuses in LoG?
You'll soon be able to make mods or even entirely new dungeons, and that means you can add set bonuses yourself if you really really want them.
UglyBastard

Post by UglyBastard »

Why make suggestions anyway?

Just sit on your ass and mod it in if you want it so bad.

See what I did there?

I doubt Grimrock will be the only dungeon brought to us by AH in the long run (if I remember right, there was some shady announcement in one of the blog posts that they might be working on another dungeon), so why not make suggestions for future episodes?
No one here demands that it has to be patched in ASAP, but it would be a cool thing to think about the concept.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

UglyBastard wrote:See what I did there?
Yes, it's called a straw man.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:What does it matter if the devs put set bonuses in LoG?
You'll soon be able to make mods or even entirely new dungeons, and that means you can add set bonuses yourself if you really really want them.
Yes, I'm so actually going to modify everything before I play it, without even knowing what's in the game...

It's a suggestion that could be interesting to add. You're basically saying: "It's pointless to suggest anything, as you can modify everything yourself."

Why do we even bother playing AH's game, and not just all create our own game?
UglyBastard

Post by UglyBastard »

Actually you accusing me of using a straw man argument kinda seems like a straw man itself.

INCEPTION!

To begin with, saying why it should be implemented [by the developers] if modding can do it anyway is a knockout argument, that can be used to choke every single suggestion thread in this forum.

By the way: In my opinion, I didn't use a straw man argument (intentionally misinterpreting you and then building an argument on the misinterpretation) but tried to show you that this is actually no valid point by exaggerating it to make the flaw more obvious.

The question "what does it matter?" can be answered with "it would be a goody that makes [some] people [more] happy".

But I hope that's enough Off Topic for now, somehow this thread is constantly derailing for some unknown reason.
Verus

Post by Verus »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:
UglyBastard wrote:See what I did there?
Yes, it's called a straw man.

No, it's just the logical extension of what you said. It is at worst a reduction to absurdity, except it can't possibly qualify: if discussing the mere possibility of adding in a supra-item bonus to deepen gameplay is wrong, then what suggestions could possibly be acceptable?

I'm a little distressed at how actively this discussion is being driven away from the actual suggestion and towards debating whether or not it's acceptable to even propose the suggestion at all. It's absolutely baffling.