Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
PSY

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by PSY »

gambit37 wrote:What's wrong the pronunciation? I'm not used to recording my voice and it sounds fine to me... :D
Nothing's wrong. It's perfect. But as I pointed out in my PM, '1337' talk + fast talk delivers a critical hit on a non-native, school-English speaker :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
gambit37 wrote:When I get some free time, I'll do another video showing how to setup more complex mechanisms if anyone's interested?
+1 on complex mechanism video

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Thels

Post by Thels »

I do thank you for the upload. It's a nice, quick overview of how you did it. I do like the arrows it shows from the trigger objects to the objects it affects. I'd watch a later tutorial, though mostly out of curiosity.

But being able to do everything in GUI doesn't mean that it's the best way. For example, Starcraft 1 came with a Map Editor with the Trigger system. While it was possible to make complex games with this trigger system, the number of triggers it required, and the number of total work that entailed to, was nuts. Warcraft 3 and Starcraft 2 supported coding, and with that code, it was a lot less work to accomplish the same thing as it was with triggers earlier.

Either way, we'll see. From what I can see, the version without GUI is coming first, and perhaps if it gives people too much problems, petri will consider a GUI at a later time? It seems the most efficient way to deal with this, and at least we'll have something, as adding a GUI for the initial release would push release back by a lot of time.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

I'm sure you're right that writing code is far quicker than using a GUI... for some things. I've sometimes found that myself, once I've got over the learning curve of coding, but I never feel comfortable with it.

But usually coding takes me longer because I simply don't think that way. I see problem solving more in visual terms (I'm a designer and artist.) And there's a huge % of the population who think this way. Visual editors simply suit us better. I've never said a visual editor is the best way....just that it suits a certain mindset. I would be very disappointed if a code-driven editor for LoG prevents visual thinkers from building cool things.

But yes, let's wait and see what the dev team have up their sleeves... :)
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

I imagine Grimrock would be very similar to that, only with an interface that doesn't look like it was made in 1998 :D

All joking aside, this does look like a very nice, very usable editor. Hopefully, Grimrock would have basic rigging of items like that, and the scripting will be used for more advanced stuff.
gambit37

Post by gambit37 »

The RTC editor came out in 2002, so you're not too far off... :D
Traxis

Post by Traxis »

gambit37 wrote:I did a very quick video demo of the RTC editor, for those who haven't seen it before:
http://youtu.be/eeaamTNrsso
Thanks a lot for the video, i sent you a pm from youtube regarding it. Maybe you could do another video about the DSB Editor, so they (the people here) can see the big differences between them, and decide which system they like more. Of course i'm up for another video showing advanced editing in RTC.
PSY wrote:
Nice editor.

But you have to work a bit on your pronunciation. Non-native speakers will find it very hard to understand you ;) ;)

PSY
I'm spanish and i didn't have any problems to understand him. Don't take it personally, but your friend should listen to more british english. I love to watch british tv-series (like Dr. Who) and i wish i had a british accent when speaking english.
PSY

Post by PSY »

Traxis wrote:I'm spanish and i didn't have any problems to understand him. Don't take it personally, but your friend should listen to more british english. I love to watch british tv-series (like Dr. Who) and i wish i had a british accent when speaking english.
I won't take it personally. Neither will she :)
What I'm saying is that ppl are easier to understand if they speak slower, no matter how good or bad the listener's English is.

But enough of that off-topic stuff. Let's talk about business here :mrgreen:

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Traxis

Post by Traxis »

I hope we see some screenshots from the editor soon. I really want to see how it looks now, even before being finished. And i don't think he spoke too fast. You should hear some (many) americans speaking fast... :lol:
krayzkrok

Post by krayzkrok »

Isaac wrote:What's the down-side for a left-click menu that only pop's up when the user calls for it?
What I'm talking about is getting instant feedback on tile contents, "mouse over" as hannamarin says. It would be tedious and time-consuming to left/right click every tile that you wanted to check contents for, especially if you were working on a puzzle over a large area. There are several ways of showing mouse-over information somewhere, and it's easy to select click a tile so you can then start working on individual elements, or right click to bring up a context menu, but don't make me click each tile to display that information when I'm just looking around.

Gambit, thanks for putting that RTC editor video up. It looks great (aesthetics aside) but what concerns me is this, what if you want to create a set of conditions that the gui doesn't allow you to do? You'd certainly hope that scripting was available to expand outside the limits of the gui. More power can always be added to the gui in later updates, but it's always good to have the option to tinker further.
r0ck

Post by r0ck »

gambit37 wrote:I'm sure you're right that writing code is far quicker than using a GUI... for some things. I've sometimes found that myself, once I've got over the learning curve of coding, but I never feel comfortable with it.

But usually coding takes me longer because I simply don't think that way. I see problem solving more in visual terms (I'm a designer and artist.) And there's a huge % of the population who think this way. Visual editors simply suit us better. I've never said a visual editor is the best way....just that it suits a certain mindset. I would be very disappointed if a code-driven editor for LoG prevents visual thinkers from building cool things.

But yes, let's wait and see what the dev team have up their sleeves... :)
I can only agree on this, and I watched your video about the RTC editor which is my all time favourite editor which I made my first real DM Cave in. I really hope the Grimrock editor would be somewhat the same :P. Also, I gotta say, you forgot to put doorframes to your ironbars doors :P Ingame it will look really strange without em ^^.