LVL 9 Game Killer

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
singularety

LVL 9 Game Killer

Post by singularety »

Are you FREAKING kidding me?!!! And to think i purchased two copies of this game and have loved it...up to lvl 9 that is. A freakn skull...Really...I don't have a minotaur so that there was no DAMN GOOD reason to carry one. So now i have to freakn backtrack through 4-5 levels looking everywhere for a damn skull. Developers you should receive nine lashes for this one...damn..maybe i will return after I complete Diablo III or something..its going to be awhile before I come back to this.. :x
PSY

Re: LVL 9 Game Killer

Post by PSY »

Dungeon Crawler rule #1:

Always dump the stuff you don't need / you're not sure of at the staircase to the next level...

...so you don't need to backtrack through 4-5 levels :mrgreen:

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
jansaresinas

Post by jansaresinas »

SpoilerShow
as stated numerous times, the skull is at the entrance to lvl 9, and all other items for that puzzle are also on lvl 9
speros

ALSO ! Level 6

Post by speros »

Same at Level 6
Mage's Entrance needs a fireball. But what if you don't hane a mage ?
You use Fireblade ! But what if you used up all charges ?
Only solution then to reload a save. I went back 3 hours of gameplay :-)
Not a gamekiller - but I think this was bad level design...
PSY

Re: ALSO ! Level 6

Post by PSY »

speros wrote:Same at Level 6
Mage's Entrance needs a fireball. But what if you don't hane a mage ?
You use Fireblade ! But what if you used up all charges ?
On the other hand:
- it's an optional area.
- the Fire Blade can be found just next to it. You just have to put 2 and 2 together ^^

PSY
https://psy-labs.com
Coders don't die, they just gosub without return
Kirinyale

Post by Kirinyale »

speros wrote:You use Fireblade ! But what if you used up all charges ?
You've used up a rare artifact in seconds after finding it right next to the place where you need it? Great. Then just come back once you've got another Fireblade from
SpoilerShow
a treasury at level 13
. Problem solved.

Seriously, this game is supposed to be "oldschool", isn't it? I had to backtrack through half of the game at the end of level 9 (and that wasn't because of the skull... so topicstarter's probably in for another surprise very soon). And I never thought about complaining for a moment. No one to blame except myself, really. Instead, I was really happy with myself for figuring out correctly WHAT I needed to backtrack for.

I'm so tired of games that go out of their way to take care of everything for the player. It's about time someone made something for players who can take care of themselves, so thanks Almost Human for that. The game can ALWAYS be finished (not counting a few places where you can block yourself on purpose), and that's all any developer "owes" us.
speros

Post by speros »

>On the other hand: - it's an optional area.

Exactly , That's why I said : NOT a gamekiller

> the Fire Blade can be found just next to it. You just have to put 2 and 2 together ^^

2+2 for me means : Cool weapon ! - I will show you now who's the boss !
It doesn't mean that this cool weapon is a puzzle item... ( imho )

Tip : I think next patch should include a way to inform future players that these weapons
that include charges are NOT rechargable as in every other crpg out there. Perhaps with
a better weapon description when you place the pointer over the weapon or by finding
a note under your first weapon with charges.
speros

Post by speros »

Kirinyale wrote:
speros wrote: this game is supposed to be "oldschool",
??? We should remember that Eye of the beholder had convenient portals so ...
you never had to backtrack HALF the game !

My approach is that gaming should be fun. Not "easy" fun but perhaps it is better
to avoid dead ends.
theruler

Post by theruler »

Kirinyale wrote:
speros wrote:You use Fireblade ! But what if you used up all charges ?
You've used up a rare artifact in seconds after finding it right next to the place where you need it? Great.
HAHAHA!!! You made my day.
Thels

Post by Thels »

Actually, Grimrock is very forgiving if you compare it to the old games. In LoG you can only really get stuck if you do it on purpose (like the alcove at the start of the game, put every single item you came across in the alcove, then jump into the pit). In the old games, there were plenty of ways to get yourself completely stuck.