No news on fixing the GPU overheating problem?

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
HotGPU

No news on fixing the GPU overheating problem?

Post by HotGPU »

Is there any progress in fixing the GPU overheating problem?

As I can't play this game until you have :(
ttomm46

Re: No news on fixing the GPU overheating problem?

Post by ttomm46 »

HotGPU wrote:Is there any progress in fixing the GPU overheating problem?

As I can't play this game until you have :(
I have built in graphics in my AMD CPU.....Scared it might blow the whole chip,..I can't measure the temp so i won't play it till I'm sure the problem is fixed... :evil:
Tom
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

Same thread:
viewtopic.php?t=2291

?
HotGPU

Post by HotGPU »

I'm sad they haven't seemingly acknowledged or attempted to warn and protect their customers against this.

This is more important than them working on a level editor etc. This fault in their software potentially will damage users machines and they must fix it.

I won't dare play this game until they have patched it again to fix this problem. If it isn't sorted in a few months I will ask for a full refund.

Please fix it.
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

HotGPU wrote:I'm sad they haven't seemingly acknowledged or attempted to warn and protect their customers against this.

This is more important than them working on a level editor etc. This fault in their software potentially will damage users machines and they must fix it.

I won't dare play this game until they have patched it again to fix this problem. If it isn't sorted in a few months I will ask for a full refund.

Please fix it.
That's just grand, man. Let me show you how grand it is.
SpoilerShow
The definition of a well-built program is that it makes a full use of all available resources. If your hardware can't handle 100% GPU usage or 100% CPU usage then maybe you should consider not buying a cheap piece of junk next time you buy a new computer.
petri

Post by petri »

HotGPU wrote:I'm sad they haven't seemingly acknowledged or attempted to warn and protect their customers against this.

There is no "fault in the software" that causes overheating. With 1.1.4 vsync is turned on by default for new users and we even added a frame rate limiter - you can set max frame rate by editing the config file manually if you wish. I don't think there's more we can do. If your temperatures are still rising please check the following:

1) make sure that vertical sync is not forced off in your graphics card driver settings
2) make sure that vertical sync is turned on in Grimrock's graphics settings (accessible from main menu)
3) try lowering the graphics quality settings and/or display resolution from game's settings
4) make sure your system is properly cooled
Zero

Post by Zero »

Please fix it.
It always amuses me how the uninformed can have so much conviction.

Clean the furballs out of your computer, stupid.
Phlimm

Post by Phlimm »

Even if the OP is uninformed, this issue is important to him. I have had issues similar to this. I had no idea I could limit the frame rate with config file. How about a little publicity on that?

Also the little cutesy comments, "funny" pictures, insults and degrading "Ha ha, I know more about computers that you do" attitude from several users in the forum REALLY do a disservice to this great game. It really does not help when someone has an issue that they want addressed. All it does is make the devs look like they condone the bad behavior and make people not want to come back here.
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

Phlimm wrote:Also the little cutesy comments, "funny" pictures, insults and degrading "Ha ha, I know more about computers that you do" attitude from several users in the forum REALLY do a disservice to this great game. It really does not help when someone has an issue that they want addressed. All it does is make the devs look like they condone the bad behavior and make people not want to come back here.
This was caused mainly by the HotGPU's inability to use the search function. This topic has been beaten to death on these forums. Then again, maybe it would be good to create a sticky FAQ topic in this subforum where this topic would be covered. I think it would reduce the frequency with which this particular problem comes up, and if such threads appear then they could be resolved by simply copypasting a link to the correct thread.
Phlimm wrote:"Ha ha, I know more about computers that you do"
It's highly probable that this is actually an objective fact.
Phlimm

Post by Phlimm »

zalewapl wrote:
Phlimm wrote:Also the little cutesy comments, "funny" pictures, insults and degrading "Ha ha, I know more about computers that you do" attitude from several users in the forum REALLY do a disservice to this great game. It really does not help when someone has an issue that they want addressed. All it does is make the devs look like they condone the bad behavior and make people not want to come back here.
This was caused mainly by the HotGPU's inability to use the search function.
No, it was caused by your desire to ridicule him in a public forum. Don't try to blame the object of your mean spiritedness.

Phlimm wrote:"Ha ha, I know more about computers that you do"
zalewapl wrote:It's highly probable that this is actually an objective fact.
Does that justify you calling him names? Would it be OK for your mechanic to call you an idiot if you took your car in for repairs? How about your doctor when you came in for a checkup?

Like I said, these are issues that are important to the people posting them. Making light of the problem or insulting the people who have them does no good at all for the game, the Devs or AH in general. There are much more polite ways of directing people to the solutions that are on the forum.