NEWS: Release Date Announced - Pre-order Now!

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Jack Dandy

Re: NEWS: Release Date Announced - Pre-order Now!

Post by Jack Dandy »

Not any that I know of. It's actually better, since you get both the Steam key and the standalone installer.
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Blade Runner wrote:I pre-ordered the game directly from your website to support your efforts and with the hope the company would receive a greater share of the profits. However, I am wondering if there is a difference between purchasing the game directly as opposed to purchasing the game via Steam or GOG. Are you at liberty to provide some insight on this matter?
Steam will be no difference, as you're just getting a Steam key. You will not have the game in your library on GOG by purchasing from here though, you'll have to be responsible for backing up your own stand-alone installer.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

jfunk wrote: Steam will be no difference, as you're just getting a Steam key. You will not have the game in your library on GOG by purchasing from here though, you'll have to be responsible for backing up your own stand-alone installer.
I assumed as much. However, I wondered if ordering the game directly was better for the company rather than ordering through GOG or Steam. Any insight?
nianu

Post by nianu »

Blade Runner wrote:
jfunk wrote: Steam will be no difference, as you're just getting a Steam key. You will not have the game in your library on GOG by purchasing from here though, you'll have to be responsible for backing up your own stand-alone installer.
I assumed as much. However, I wondered if ordering the game directly was better for the company rather than ordering through GOG or Steam. Any insight?
yes buying the game directly from almost human will support them more than buying from GOG or steam :)
ᶘ╯ᵒᴥᵒᶅ╯︵ ┻━┻
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

nianu wrote: yes buying the game directly from almost human will support them more than buying from GOG or steam :)
In what way and to what degree does purchasing the game directly support Almost Human more than through another company? I ask the question because when I purchased the game I received a Steam activation code and downloaded the bonus materials through another site. Both of these components cause me to wonder if Almost Human had to broker a deal with these two companies which does not result in receiving a larger % of profits from direct sales. Additionally, I would like to know the other ways Almost Human is supported through direct sales, even if there is not a financial benefit.
keiek

Post by keiek »

Pre-Ordered! I can't wait! Thanks for being awesome Devs!
jfunk

Post by jfunk »

Blade Runner wrote:
nianu wrote: yes buying the game directly from almost human will support them more than buying from GOG or steam :)
In what way and to what degree does purchasing the game directly support Almost Human more than through another company? I ask the question because when I purchased the game I received a Steam activation code and downloaded the bonus materials through another site. Both of these components cause me to wonder if Almost Human had to broker a deal with these two companies which does not result in receiving a larger % of profits from direct sales. Additionally, I would like to know the other ways Almost Human is supported through direct sales, even if there is not a financial benefit.
I seriously doubt you're going to be given any specifics of the contracts AH has with their distribution partners. Businesses don't generally make those things public. Puts them at a real disadvantage during all of their future negotiations.
Patchumz

Post by Patchumz »

Blade Runner wrote:
GOG and Steam take a cut of the profit, since they're distributing it via their service. Generally people put it on Steam and stuff because they don't have the infrastructure to use their own distribution. (And obviously Steam is free advertising basically) Lots of games also give you a steam key, even if not purchased on Steam.
Blade Runner

Post by Blade Runner »

I work in the business world, so I am not looking for specifics about the contracts. I was just wondering in a general sense, what is the benefit (or perceived benefit) of us buying the game directly, rather than through an outside source. Perhaps the primary benefit is generating traffic to the website and connecting people to the forum, which results in a stronger community of players whose passion for the game results in soliciting to others who then purchase the game and become connected members of the community.

It would be helpful for someone at Almost Human to share their perspective on the benefits of purchasing directly from the company, even if it has to be done with vague generalities.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

Blade Runner wrote:It would be helpful for someone at Almost Human to share their perspective on the benefits of purchasing directly from the company, even if it has to be done with vague generalities.
Here you go:
petri wrote:
Hety wrote:Thanks for reply. Steam it is then. DO you recommend to buy it there or on your site?
We recommend that you buy it on our site, because it's the best way to support us.
Doesn't get much more vague than that.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..