Eye of the Beholder

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
zalewapl

Re: Eye of the Beholder

Post by zalewapl »

Black Crypt was awesome. Smooth animations, automap, puzzles and interesting enemies. This medusa skull scared the hell out of me.
It was also the first game by Raven Software, the company which later made Heretic and HeXen games (which all use the same symbols, hinting that Black Crypt and Heretic take place in same universes) and then they teamed up with Id Software.
sapientCrow

Post by sapientCrow »

looking forward to remakes with grimrock engine of beholder and dm... hopes!!!
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

Geraldine wrote:
dazman76 wrote:I played DM first, and then the EOTB games - all on the Amiga 500 back in the day :)
Did someone mention an Amiga? :D
Best computer ever! And there is another game you might have forgotten about from those days. It was called Black Crypt. A bit like Dungeon Master, it had underwater levels and an automap function. Only a demo was ever released on the PC. The Amiga (and I think the Atari ST) got the full game

Here is a gameplay vid http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8Tidgg4jsY
I agree. I miss my amiga days. I owned a 500, 1200 and CD-32. Great machines.

I finished Black Crypt. It was terrific.
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
Isaac

Post by Isaac »

I bought 'Eye of the Beholder' [knowingly] before I owned a computer that could run it; I played 'Curse of the Azure Bonds' instead, until I could upgrade.
Before I bought my copy, I had played it on my friend's Amiga.
Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

Radioman970 wrote:I miss my amiga days.
Why miss them?

Download a copy of WinUAE, get a hold of some kick-start ROM files, a couple of ADFs of your favourite games and your good to go!

Here is a link to WinUAE, its free http://www.winuae.net/

Also there is Amiga Forever, although this costs from 10 Euros, it does come with kick-start ROMS. Here is a link http://www.amigaforever.com/

The more expensive versions come with even more goodies.

Finally if (like me) you prefer using the actual machine itself, there is a great Amiga trading site where you could pick up a reasonably priced Amiga and other goodies for them. Here is a link to that http://www.amibay.com/

You can even get a whole range of other retro machines on there too from time to time, like Atari STs, speccys, and C64s just to mention a few ;)

Oh one last thing, if you do decide to buy a real Amiga, I would recommend you also buy a scart lead these are available on Ebay or sometimes Amibay. That way you wont have any issues playing your game with it your TV. :)
Geraldine
Crawling about dungeons since the 1980s :D
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

Geraldine wrote:
Radioman970 wrote:I miss my amiga days.
Why miss them?

Download a copy of WinUAE, get a hold of some kick-start ROM files, a couple of ADFs of your favourite games and your good to go!

Here is a link to WinUAE, its free http://www.winuae.net/

Also there is Amiga Forever, although this costs from 10 Euros, it does come with kick-start ROMS. Here is a link http://www.amigaforever.com/

The more expensive versions come with even more goodies.

Finally if (like me) you prefer using the actual machine itself, there is a great Amiga trading site where you could pick up a reasonably priced Amiga and other goodies for them. Here is a link to that http://www.amibay.com/

You can even get a whole range of other retro machines on there too from time to time, like Atari STs, speccys, and C64s just to mention a few ;)

Oh one last thing, if you do decide to buy a real Amiga, I would recommend you also buy a scart lead these are available on Ebay or sometimes Amibay. That way you wont have any issues playing your game with it your TV. :)
I'm right with you on that. All good recommendations!

I still have my A1200 and my CD-32. Luckily I still have a working amiga monitor too. Plus a large pile of boxed games, including DM and EOB 1 and 2. tons!

I won Amiga Forever CD set on a web site YEARS ago. That version is outdated but I've always planned to set up emulated amiga on my PC. right now I'm downloading a ton of adf off the net.

Have you tried Lemon C64 and Lemon amiga? Those sites are great! You can review old games. I'm radioman970 there as well. I review as I'm researching what ADF files to download.

But...I have to say by "miss them" I really mean how amiga went here in the US. It seemed to be dying. And then I read an article in Amiga World magazine that mentioned the UK market. I started getting those huge UK magazines with cover disks. That was amazing! Really loved that every month. The writers were different over there, a real joy to read and I still ALL of those big mags I bought. I'd buy about 4 and just have a ball reading them. I got in trouble for reading them at work (at the radio station) while on the air. lol That gave new life to my favorite computer. PD disks were fun too. Happy times. PC is great, but nothing like keeping up the Amiga in the UK.
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.

Geraldine

Post by Geraldine »

Radioman970 wrote:Have you tried Lemon C64 and Lemon amiga?
Oh yes, Lemon Amiga is indeed a great site ;)

Oh, and well done to you for still having your Amigas! 8-)
Geraldine
Crawling about dungeons since the 1980s :D
Lmiara

Post by Lmiara »

The first crawler I played was on my amiga 500+, it was Dungeon Master and I was 10.

As my parents have forbidden me to play pen&paper roleplaying game, I played DM each time they were out of the house so they couldn't take it away from me :)

Some years later I bought a box with several game, one of them was a crawler with a screen split in 4 where u could split ur team. Never played the game because he never boots, and I don't remember its name.

I still have all my old stuff (I am kinda a dragon when it comes to videogame, I treasure them) and my amiga is still in use ^^
zalewapl

Post by zalewapl »

Lmiara wrote: Some years later I bought a box with several game, one of them was a crawler with a screen split in 4 where u could split ur team. Never played the game because he never boots, and I don't remember its name.
Sounds like Hired Guns. Never played it myself. Always saved it for later.
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

Geraldine wrote:
Radioman970 wrote:Have you tried Lemon C64 and Lemon amiga?
Oh yes, Lemon Amiga is indeed a great site ;)

Oh, and well done to you for still having your Amigas! 8-)
I couldn't sell them in a million years. I probably haven't turned on my a1200 in 7 years.

We bought my niece and nephew an a500 when they were small and used to playing games on an NES. They loved Chuck Rock and Pinball Fantasies on it. Recently my neph, married with a child now, was asking about it. it's stored at their grandparents. It left a good impression on him. He also watched me play games for years and years on mine.

those sites bring back so many memories. I love them. I often mention my niece and neph on there. Even though I love my PC, I don't remember my history with it as fondly as I do my old Vic20, C64, C129 and amigas. Something special about those machines. Like they were made by people who loved and respected them like we do. It was corporate screwheads that killed them.