Uninstalled It

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
Curunir

Re: Uninstalled It

Post by Curunir »

wolfkampf wrote:Heck, maybe in the future, if a character is particularly intelligent, he might suggest how to solve the puzzle. :)
This might be the best idea I've seen on these forums for quite some time. I have no idea of it can be scripted, but a mage with particularly high Willpower may "divine" puzzle solutions and give a slight hint or two to the player, maybe (if it can be scripted again) after the player spends X minutes without exiting the puzzle room.
Anton

Post by Anton »

g4merguy wrote:no offense but you are retarded

Grow up, guy. I do not appreciate such nonsense. I doubt I'm alone.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Indeed, please keep this civil guys.

I've moved this topic to general discussion.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

BigCTM wrote: Still looking for a great old school RPG that is turn based instead of real time...Any suggestions?
The upcoming Wasteland 2 may be right up your bag, and in the mean time try Fallout 1/2 they are both turn based and excellent games.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Callipygous

Post by Callipygous »

Avernum: Escape From the Pit might be what you are looking for. I haven't, as of yet, played it; working my way through Dead Space 2 at the moment. It's next on my list though. Avernum kind of reminds me of some of the old Might & Magic games except with better graphics or even Baulder's gate but with a different graphics style. And its only $10 on Steam! If you're not anti-drm.

Cheers.
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

BigCTM wrote:I liked the game at first but all the timed and arcade like puzzles just drove me crazy. If I wanted an arcade game I would play Mario! I certainly do not want Mario like arcade puzzles in a hardcore RPG.
It's not a "hardcore RPG", it's a Dungeon Crawl. The tag "RPG" is misleading, though. But if you spent five minutes reading before you bought, you would know exactly what this game offered.
BigCTM wrote: Still looking for a great old school RPG that is turn based instead of real time...Any suggestions?
Arcanum, Fallout 1-2-tactics, Jagged Alliance 1-2, Dwarf Fortress.

True old school; (include Darf Fortress in this category)
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/982/R ... +Game.html
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/327/A ... stery.html
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/724/NetHack.html

The best ever;
http://www.abandonia.com/en/games/201/BloodNet.html

Really difficult, a mix between Adventure and RPG. Well worth it if you can get used to the graphics and menus.
Kwibus

Post by Kwibus »

krayzkrok wrote:Having completed the game and found most secrets, I can tell you it's perfectly playable without needing fast reactions. Not a single critical puzzle in the game requires you to play it like an arcade game. The most difficult thing you do is plan several moves ahead and then execute them rhythmically (not quickly). Even my 68 year old dad who has diabetes and poor reactions is now on level 6 and having a blast!

The "white blobs" achievement mentioned upthread is probably the most difficult thing in the game, being the closest to a reaction test because you're being asked to play Guitar Hero for a few seconds. It's a non-essential secret, and the reason it gives you an achievement is because it's not a cakewalk. But it's not that difficult if you look at the pattern and move methodically.

Sorry to hear you felt you wasted your money, but if you actually took a deep breath and approached the game more methodically you'd do much better.
I feel like such a dexterous person when I read these posts. I did the white blob thingy in 1 try.
I was starting to feel old, but I guess 30 isn't old at all. Well certainly not when playing this game since a lot of nostalgic gamers play this game who are probably older then me. Since I was like 9 years old the first time I saw Dungeon Master.
Bokonon

Post by Bokonon »

In Dungeon Master there were also puzzles based on fast reactions. Its classic in this genre.
Bokonon

Post by Bokonon »

:!: fantastic game
Dandy

Post by Dandy »

I too hated the speed tests. The only flaw on what could have been one of my all time favourite games. I don't understand why they had to put them into the game in the first place, it was great without them.
Dungeon Legend about the Master of Grimrock