LoG spell system poll

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
lastsaves

LoG spell system poll

Post by lastsaves »

It seem, there are many complaints about rune spell system, which IMO is great in general.
Just few more spells to add variability and it would be awesome.
I wonder how many people really do not like it, so I made this easy poll.
http://www.learnmyself.com/poll79485x98AC4e93
I can not find an option to made poll in the forum system, so I used an external one.
What would you say?
Arctor

Re: LoG spell system poll

Post by Arctor »

Is this really necessary? If you can't handle the rune system in LOG you're just going to have to play something else. End of line.
BlueLegion

Post by BlueLegion »

Legion agrees with Arctor. It's not broken => no need to fix it. Is there a need to discuss it?
lastsaves

Post by lastsaves »

I fully agree with both of you. I really like rune spell system.
I just got the feeling, that there are many people complaining about it and not enough saying otherwise.
The reason, why I created this poll, was to find out, how many people IS HAPPY with this system.
Because, I think there is a majority who like it, but did not post their opinion.
And I would be really sorry, I developers get the distorted message, that people do not like it the way it is.
So again, it is not intended as an attempt to undermine developers work, on the contrary.
So if you do not mind, vote, please.
I think it is really important to let developers know, that we like their work!
evilskillit

Post by evilskillit »

Ever since Dungeon Master implemented this system I've been waiting for another game to use it. It makes me very happy in Grimrock.
Kostas

Post by Kostas »

evilskillit wrote:Ever since Dungeon Master implemented this system I've been waiting for another game to use it. It makes me very happy in Grimrock.
But it's not like Dungeon Master, it's quite different.

Anyway, I kinda like the system, but I wish I could choose runes while on cooldown.
Also new spells are welcome.
And some other nice ideas I read in the forums are about using scrolls, equipping them on a hand to auto select that spell to cast.

My other complain is how the first two responders in this thread literally jumped the OP with negativity. I hate that sort of guys and there's a lot in this forum sadly...
NakedGranny

Post by NakedGranny »

Arctor wrote:Is this really necessary? If you can't handle the rune system in LOG you're just going to have to play something else. End of line.
alright. will do.

i wonder how Almost Human feels about losing a customer?
Miles-McStyles

Post by Miles-McStyles »

It's not a hassle in combat. It might be for people who actually use the mouse to turn while fighting.
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

BlueLegion wrote:Legion agrees with Arctor. It's not broken => no need to fix it. Is there a need to discuss it?
since there is not agreement on the issue, surely discussion is an appropriate action, yes?
NeoTiger

Post by NeoTiger »

I have mixed feeling about the rune system of LoG. In Dungeon Master, the system existed to let you experiment and figure out spells by your own. You could basically cast any spell right from the start, only limited by the maximum amount of energy/mana your mage characters could hold at their current level.

Thus, your mages were the "one-shot heavy-hitters" in the game. You prepared high-damage combat spells which used up almost all of your energy (the first rune in Dungeon Master's system allowed you to choose the power of the spell) and immediately unloaded it on the monster on initial contact. Afterwards you just let the melee and ranged characters finish off what's left of their hitpoints. Apart from that initial strike, mages were just a utility class for your group.

But since LoG's system won't let you cast spells without the appropriate skill level, lets you find the combination for almost any spell on scrolls and won't allow you to power up your spells to complete mana drain, the rune system seems a little bit out of place here. Most of the time, whenever cooldowns of other fighters are ready, I prefer to use those instead just because they are easier to do. When I actually do prepare spells, it's often because I've got nothing else to do while I'm waiting for a monster on one of the diagonal squares to make up their mind which direction to go (if you don't know what I'm talking about, you obviously never fought an ogre yet).

Now if enemies had obvious weaknesses against certain types of magic (which I suspect they do), that perhaps would be a good reason to deal with the hassle. But the problem is: as long as the one-button-mashing method of melee and ranged combat also work well on a monster, most players will not invest the time to figure out which spell works better against them - especially since there is no prominent feedback in the combat messages that would tell you so (if there is, I haven't noticed it, being much too busy keeping my eyes on the cooldowns).

Bottomline: the spellcasting system is no fun-breaker for me, but it does feel somewhat unpolished and unrewarding. If it weren't for the unique and invaluable support-spells, mosts parties would be better off with a second rogue in the back row.

Return to “Grimrock 1 Discussion”