10 reasons you should play Wizardry 8 after Grimrock:

General discussion that is not related to Grimrock goes here.
DarkCecil13

10 reasons you should play Wizardry 8 after Grimrock:

Post by DarkCecil13 »

Seriously, it's my favorite PC game last decade. I spent every waking hour 4 months of my life from beating it twice. Sleep went out the window. I got bored of Skyrim in december, just one month; played 160 hours. It only took me a staggering 220+150 hours beating Wizardry 8 twice ^_^

1. Retro dungeons
2. Hard difficulty (Adjustable for n00bs)
3. 16 playable races and 15 professions (Classes), start off with 1-6 characters and later, up to 2 RPCs. And you can change one's class any time they level up. It's designed that there is no wrong party to make. It's as balanced as it gets.
4. 4 *diverse* realms of magic spells
5. Fun battle system
6. Good story, if you read the manual.
7. If you're a number person, you will obsess over character development, which I enjoyed.
8. Inventory management is a must!
9. The voice acting is really really awesome and often laugh-out-loud hilarious
10. IT'S WIZARDRY!! You grew up playing Wizardry

BONUS 1: Your eyes WILL accommodate quickly to the dated 2001 graphics. How so? Trust me, my brain exploded from sensory overload briefly playing Skyrim while doing a Wiz8 run. The graphics are actually quite jarring playing a game like Skyrim or Grimrock. THEN, you then have to accommodate yourself to recent graphics. I find it hilarious, but it's true.

BONUS 2: Multiple endings, depending on what factions you are aligned to, and other things I don't want to spoil

Anyone here play it? How far did you get? Remember your parties?

I'm so passionate about Wizardry 8; that's why I posted!
King Semos

Re: 10 reasons you should play Wizardry 8 after Grimrock:

Post by King Semos »

Looks old, that's for sure. But I know exactly what you mean when it comes to getting used to older graphics. It also looks pretty good.

I would have no idea where to buy this game, or if it would even run on an up to date computer. Any ideas?
Porkdish

Post by Porkdish »

Respectfully, number 5 should be stricken from the list.

The game frequently throws huge swams of enemies at you and having to wait for all their turns running around like headless chickens with their attrociuos AI. Even the fan made speed tool that makes battles run 200% faster cant stop far too many fights from being tedious affairs.

370 hours sounds short for twice through, maybe you missed some areas :)
DarkCecil13

Post by DarkCecil13 »

Porkdish wrote:Respectfully, number 5 should be stricken from the list.

The game frequently throws huge swams of enemies at you and having to wait for all their turns running around like headless chickens with their attrociuos AI. Even the fan made speed tool that makes battles run 200% faster cant stop far too many fights from being tedious affairs.

370 hours sounds short for twice through, maybe you missed some areas :)
There's a simple hack that makes them move 1000% faster. In which case, swarms arent so annoying. I mean, Wiz8 isn't *perfect*. Also, that's why you try your best to avoid battles.

http://wizardryvault.com/wp-content/plu ... d=Wiz8Fast
Last edited by DarkCecil13 on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:37 am, edited 3 times in total.
DarkCecil13

Post by DarkCecil13 »

Porkdish wrote: 370 hours sounds short for twice through, maybe you missed some areas :)
HAHAHAA :) I did, actually.
Spathi

Post by Spathi »

I think I tried this game when it came out and deleted it after a few minutes.
DarkCecil13

Post by DarkCecil13 »

King Semos wrote:Looks old, that's for sure. But I know exactly what you mean when it comes to getting used to older graphics. It also looks pretty good.

I would have no idea where to buy this game, or if it would even run on an up to date computer. Any ideas?
http://www.amazon.com/Wizardry-8-Pc/dp/ ... 197&sr=8-1

http://www.ebay.com/ctg/Wizardry-VIII-P ... ltDomain_0

It's expensive, I know. Luckily I bought it in 2002 for $20. I know that doesn't help you though :/
rakenan

Post by rakenan »

I wonder who owns the rights to the Dark Savant trilogy of Wizardry titles? The older Wizardry games are probably pretty much unsellable, but I bet GoG.com could move a fair number of copies of Wizardry 6-8.
DarkCecil13

Post by DarkCecil13 »

rakenan wrote:I wonder who owns the rights to the Dark Savant trilogy of Wizardry titles? The older Wizardry games are probably pretty much unsellable, but I bet GoG.com could move a fair number of copies of Wizardry 6-8.
I wish they did! And Im not sure who has the rights anymore, think it's Headlock games. I do know, however, there is a Wizardry MMO in development for Japan.

http://massively.joystiq.com/2011/06/09 ... ry-online/

There's permadeath (Items are transferred though). I love an insane challenge. Thankfully Dark Souls is coming out on PC. Grimrock needs an ultra hard difficulty too, imho.
Xai

Post by Xai »

I have played it but cant tell it was really nice and something i want to play again :D
While DungeonKeeper2 is still on my HD, was Wizardry 8 maybe 2 Months, even at 2001 was the Graphic a bunch of LowResolutionPixels with look more like UltimaUnderworld2 from 1992 :D

Return to “Off-topic Discussion”