Dungeon Editor Progress

Talk about creating Grimrock 1 levels and mods here. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
Darklord

Re: Dungeon Editor Progress

Post by Darklord »

Hey guys, nice couple of articles, I shall have to take a peek. :)

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
darkhaven3

Post by darkhaven3 »

Morgan wrote:
petri wrote: That's a good question. We actually don't have a level editor at all. All levels have been coded in a text editor :)
Could you share (commented?) sources of any existing level and describe how to connect custom dungeon to LoG?

I think if text editor was nice for your team, it would be nice for majority of modders too :)
EDIT by petri: removed Lua bytecode dump. Distributing extracted assets is against our modding terms. While in this case there was no harm done, we don't want to give mixed messages about what is ok and what is not.

Certain bytes are not included in the dump due to limitations of the forum software, but this is what a raw dump of a dungeon's scriptfile looks like. The map structure is there on the bottom, and entities are described (as you can see up top) by ent name and by a few extra parameter bytes that I frankly have no goddamn idea what the functions of are at this time.
naim

Post by naim »

Curunir wrote:Here's a pretty neat article on Lua, at least is looks like it's neat, I am a complete beginner:

http://www.gamedev.net/page/resources/_ ... -lua-r1932
Thats an article about how you implement a LUA VM in your own software and glue functions to make them scriptable.

For a mapper a tutorial on how you actually script LUA would be more interesting ;)

http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory
Curunir

Post by Curunir »

naim wrote: Thats an article about how you implement a LUA VM in your own software and glue functions to make them scriptable.

For a mapper a tutorial on how you actually script LUA would be more interesting ;)

http://lua-users.org/wiki/TutorialDirectory
Guilty as charged, I thought it was a more developer-oriented article but I don't know the first thing about programming, so ... :D
Thanks a lot for the link!
azidahaka

Post by azidahaka »

since i'm clueless about lua, would it still be possible to make dungeons with notepad like shown in the link before? it seems ver fast nice and confortable way to make a dungeon; or at least easier than learning a new programming language :?:
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

azidahaka wrote:since i'm clueless about lua, would it still be possible to make dungeons with notepad like shown in the link before? it seems ver fast nice and confortable way to make a dungeon; or at least easier than learning a new programming language :?:
I think dungeons will be created in a graphical interface, it's scripting that will be done in LUA. Hopefully we'll be able to copy simple LUA files to make basic puzzles and such quite easily. I think we'll have to wait and see really.

Daniel.
Morgan

Post by Morgan »

darkhaven3 wrote: EDIT by petri: removed Lua bytecode dump. Distributing extracted assets is against our modding terms. While in this case there was no harm done, we don't want to give mixed messages about what is ok and what is not.
To avoid such .. misconceptions i've asked an example of any level with comments and instructions :) WYSIWYG editor is good and, may be, nessesary thing, but it will be released sometime in future while src & instruction shouldn't take too many time :)
petri

Post by petri »

Morgan wrote:To avoid such .. misconceptions i've asked an example of any level with comments and instructions :) WYSIWYG editor is good and, may be, nessesary thing, but it will be released sometime in future while src & instruction shouldn't take too many time :)
Well, details of level editing haven't been locked down yet and there is no support for loading user created dungeons, so it's a bit early to start writing tutorials and docs...
petri

Post by petri »

Darklord wrote:I think dungeons will be created in a graphical interface, it's scripting that will be done in LUA. Hopefully we'll be able to copy simple LUA files to make basic puzzles and such quite easily. I think we'll have to wait and see really.
btw. it's "Lua" (not LUA) :) Lua is a portuguese word for moon.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Heh that's me showing off my lack of knowledge on the subject of Lua! ;)

Daniel.