FXAA Injector

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Rig

Re: FXAA Injector

Post by Rig »

Preset 1 made everything sharper

Preset 2 adjusted contrast, dark dark dungeon

Preset 3 granted intense color

Preset 4 not sure
quester99

Post by quester99 »

I think I like preset 1 best.

I compared all the presets to LoG without FXAA and there was definitely an improvement. Well to me at least. Using Nvidia GTX460 everything was sharper and brighter.

Good tool.
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

Jordan wrote:The FXAA Tool is highly configurable, I would imagine it is possible to find a configuration that is pleasing to the individual taste of users with some tinkering.
I know, but it's a lot of hassle for nothing if you ask me. And in most cases, if you get into details about all of this you will never be completely satisfied and spend way too much time fickling with pointless details.
Injectors are bad, mkay? ;)
Sweet_Intestinals

Post by Sweet_Intestinals »

Sabatasso wrote:If by "amazing!" you mean "wrapped in plastic!" then I agree.
Legend of Grimrock: Twin Peaks Edition
azidahaka

Post by azidahaka »

the sharpening looks cool, not sure about the "wrapping" effect i guess it should be valued in motion
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

By "wrapped in plastic" I mean that everything becomes shiny without looking wet. Like when you wrap plastic over something in Photoshop. Normal maps and dynamic lightning enhances this effect, and it becomes uglier than without the injector.

Clueless people find this look attractive, and I admit that light effects and shadows are enhanced, but the plastic effect destroys it all, and if the injector really enhanced the quality of the game, the game would look like that by default. The reason it does not, is because of the plastic wrap effect that is an undesirable side effect, which most people who actually know what they're doing does not appreciate.

But if you prefer it, go ahead and enjoy it.
quester99

Post by quester99 »

Sabatasso wrote: Clueless people find this look attractive
haha, feeling superior much? The tool makes the textures sharper and the colors more vibrant and I like it. If that makes me 'clueless' to you then whatever. :lol:
Sabatasso wrote:But if you prefer it, go ahead and enjoy it.
Oh wow, thanks for the permission ;)
Radioman970

Post by Radioman970 »

I think I like the original better than the shiny.
I'd take one of the four wooden clubs I was carrying and just bash open doors with it.
- if life were like Dungeon Master

I'd click FIREBALL much more on New Year's Eve
- if life were like Eye of the Beholder
Sabatasso

Post by Sabatasso »

quester99 wrote:
Sabatasso wrote: Clueless people find this look attractive
haha, feeling superior much? The tool makes the textures sharper and the colors more vibrant and I like it. If that makes me 'clueless' to you then whatever. :lol:
Sabatasso wrote:But if you prefer it, go ahead and enjoy it.
Oh wow, thanks for the permission ;)
I did not say that I'm not among the clueless, I am actually just reciting what I've read and happen to agree with it as I never really liked the plastic wrapping you call "sharper and more vibrant". But if the games really looked better that way, in the eyes of a professional, the games would look like that on release.

If done really well, the fxaa injector can marginally enhance the picture, but in most cases people go over board on shaders and light effects, and it ends up bad. For a really good job without plastic wrap, look at these, and notice how insignificant the difference really is;
http://kkrt.imgur.com/FXAA#0

The pics posted of Grimrock in this thread, with injector looks awful, there's no better word to describe it.

Anyway, I know I'm superior as I am the Supreme Being, Alpha Male and The King Wolf! :)
MASKOAA

Post by MASKOAA »

Like I said graphically the only thing I would change in LoG is the way the torch lighting works when your holding it....currently it looks like an LED light compared to how it looks when you put it up on a wall.