OnLive.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
DeAngelo

Re: OnLive.

Post by DeAngelo »

arkhometha wrote:
DeAngelo wrote:
arkhometha wrote:Recommended:
CPU: Quad Core 2.66GHz Intel or 3.2GHz AMD
Memory: 4GB
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 2900 or NVIDIA GeForce 8800 or better (512MB graphics memory or more. Shader Model 3.0 needs to be supported)
DirectX: 9.0c
Disk Space: 1GB

Geez guys, I assembled one computer with this specs about three years ago. And I'm on the university, earning 150 USD from a scholarship I own from my scientific initiation, in my third world country.

I still have that computer and I appraise it's current price is 350 USD. System requirements are not that high. (Although the games does look good)
I'm glad you can afford to assemble a computer at all. I hope that you never have to be in a situation where even that is out of your means, but you need to understand that there are people who are. Myself included.
I'm sorry if you encounter yourself in this situation, but as I said, I live alone with 150usd in a third world country and I still manage to save money. And no, the city I live is not cheap. At least where I live, a broadband necessary to run OnLive without lags cost more monthly than paying one time for the parts necessary to assemble said computer.
I don't have broadband and I have to use the University one, so I can't even do P2P connections (university proxy) to play games like Dota. So I find rather more expensive to pay monthly for a good internet connection than pay a single time for a computer.
And I live with a disabled person whom I take care of. I can't get a job because the government refuses to send anyone to help her while I'm at work because, according to them, "there's an able-bodied person in the household" You say you live alone. I mean no offense by this, but you have nobody to look out for. (Maybe you do, I don't know you.) I have Time Warner roadrunner internet, arguably one of the worst rated internet services in america, and I'm able to get a playable framerate on onlive with pretty low latency (Half a second at the worst peak times). Probably miles more than most "elitist" gamers would call acceptable, but it rarely interferes with my gaming. I've completed dozens of games on the service with little problems. I think lag caused me to die 5 times in the year I've been using it.

As I said, I hope you don't ever have to be in a situation like this. If at any point in any of my posts here I've seemed angry or condescending, It's only because I've been a gamer for 25 years and I'm now forced to nearly give up the hobby. You can understand why this would upset a person. Then I get people who, basically, tell me that because I can't afford to build a gaming computer, I don't deserve to play games. I got really excited when I saw this game, and since Onlive has been VERY friendly with indie developers (They even hosted an IGF event recently where demos of like 20 IGF nominees were available on the service for 2 weeks. I must've played Dear Esther 40 times.) I assumed there was a good chance this game could show up. On the 20th of April another interesting indie game called Dino Beatdown is coming to the service.

Sorry to rant. I don't have much to do these days so I tend to ramble.
arkhometha

Post by arkhometha »

DeAngelo wrote:And I live with a disabled person whom I take care of. I can't get a job because the government refuses to send anyone to help her while I'm at work because, according to them, "there's an able-bodied person in the household" You say you live alone. I mean no offense by this, but you have nobody to look out for. (Maybe you do, I don't know you.) I have Time Warner roadrunner internet, arguably one of the worst rated internet services in america, and I'm able to get a playable framerate on onlive with pretty low latency (Half a second at the worst peak times). Probably miles more than most "elitist" gamers would call acceptable, but it rarely interferes with my gaming. I've completed dozens of games on the service with little problems. I think lag caused me to die 5 times in the year I've been using it.

As I said, I hope you don't ever have to be in a situation like this. If at any point in any of my posts here I've seemed angry or condescending, It's only because I've been a gamer for 25 years and I'm now forced to nearly give up the hobby. You can understand why this would upset a person. Then I get people who, basically, tell me that because I can't afford to build a gaming computer, I don't deserve to play games. I got really excited when I saw this game, and since Onlive has been VERY friendly with indie developers (They even hosted an IGF event recently where demos of like 20 IGF nominees were available on the service for 2 weeks. I must've played Dear Esther 40 times.) I assumed there was a good chance this game could show up. On the 20th of April another interesting indie game called Dino Beatdown is coming to the service.

Well, I didn't say that because you can't afford a computer you don't deserve to play games. In fact, I just pointed out that the computer needed to run Grimrock is rather cheap to assemble. I don't have any persons to take care of, but as I said, where I live the cheapest plan(a 100kbps download speed) costs 39 USD and the fastest plan (a 1mbps download speed) costs 110 USD (rather expensive, but it's in the country price range (and I think is the only reasonable to play on Onlive))
I understand that you would be upset about not being able to have fun with your (and mine too) hobby, but you gotta understand why people are mad with onlive (and in some cases, Steam). You can lend a book, a movie or a music CD. But with onlive and steam, you can't do that. You can't lend, give second hand games, or do what you want with movies or books or other IPs. And if this turns out to be the only way of playing games... that will suck a lot.
That said, I do fully support a Onlive version, only if the game don't use Onlive as it's unique method of distribution. This servics should not be the only way of playing games.

And at least you live in a "decent" country. I'd rather be poor in the USA than be poor in my current country. :D (that's why when I get my degree I'm going to try get a work in Canada)
Point08

Post by Point08 »

DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

arkhometha wrote:
DeAngelo wrote:And I live with a disabled person whom I take care of. I can't get a job because the government refuses to send anyone to help her while I'm at work because, according to them, "there's an able-bodied person in the household" You say you live alone. I mean no offense by this, but you have nobody to look out for. (Maybe you do, I don't know you.) I have Time Warner roadrunner internet, arguably one of the worst rated internet services in america, and I'm able to get a playable framerate on onlive with pretty low latency (Half a second at the worst peak times). Probably miles more than most "elitist" gamers would call acceptable, but it rarely interferes with my gaming. I've completed dozens of games on the service with little problems. I think lag caused me to die 5 times in the year I've been using it.

Well, I didn't say that because you can't afford a computer you don't deserve to play games. In fact, I just pointed out that the computer needed to run Grimrock is rather cheap to assemble. I don't have any persons to take care of, but as I said, where I live the cheapest plan(a 100kbps download speed) costs 39 USD and the fastest plan (a 1mbps download speed) costs 110 USD (rather expensive, but it's in the country price range (and I think is the only reasonable to play on Onlive))
I understand that you would be upset about not being able to have fun with your (and mine too) hobby, but you gotta understand why people are mad with onlive (and in some cases, Steam). You can lend a book, a movie or a music CD. But with onlive and steam, you can't do that. You can't lend, give second hand games, or do what you want with movies or books or other IPs. And if this turns out to be the only way of playing games... that will suck a lot.
That said, I do fully support a Onlive version, only if the game don't use Onlive as it's unique method of distribution. This servics should not be the only way of playing games.

And at least you live in a "decent" country. I'd rather be poor in the USA than be poor in my current country. :D (that's why when I get my degree I'm going to try get a work in Canada)
Thanks. Although I didn't mean you when I said the "Don't deserve to play" comment. There actually have been people who have told me, quite literally, "If you can't afford a good computer, you don't deserve to play good computer games." Which is ironic considering some of the best PC games are older ones.

I think one thing that would be amazing is if more games did what Deus Ex Human Revolution did. When you bought a physical copy of that, it came with a code for a free Onlive copy. If more games did that, then I could see many people giving Onlive a chance. They'd say "Well, I can't run this game right now, but if I buy this copy, I can play it on Onlive but still have access to mods and fan patches whenever I do get a good PC."

I agree that onlive should never be the only way a game can be played. Although they are working on a game that will only be available on onlive, that's an in-house developed game so that's acceptable. To be perfectly blunt, I'll probably abandon Onlive like a bad hooker if I ever get a good computer. But for now, it's a godsend. Although given the amazing deals I've gotten, it's hard to leave. Not that most of you care, but I'll give a rundown of what I have and how much is was:

Amnesia: $0 (Given out free to all users the first day it was available)
Batman Arkham Asylum: $5
Borderlands Game of the Year edition: $10
Splinter Cell Conviction: $5
Metro 2033: $5
Lara Croft Guardian of Light: $3
Mafia 2: $3
Divinity 2: $1 (They had a promotion where everyone could get a game for a dollar)
Deus Ex Human Revolution: $0 (Had a friend who bought it and didn't want his code)
Fear 3: $0 (Won it during an E3 event they had)
Saint's Row 3: $0 (Won it during a sega dreamcast collection event where you were entered by playing the dreamcast collection)
And the playpack is $10 a month and I've probably had it on and off for a total of 5 months over the last year and a half, so $50 and here's the games I've completed on it: Prince of Persia (The cell shaded one), Fear 2, Just Cause, Just Cause 2, Witcher, Alpha Protocol, Bard's Tale, Bioshock, Deus Ex 1, Ghostbusters, Lego Batman, Red Faction Guerrilla, Titan Quest Gold, and Trine.

That's easily a few hundred bucks worth of games, double that if you count how much they were at the time I played them, that I got to play through for $50 bucks. Now THAT is awesome.

Edit: Oh and Bastion. Got that recently for 3 bucks.
Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 »

DeAgnelo

its a pitty you live in the US, I have a spare system that would work well for this game.... if you were willing to pay for postage I could send you

A motherboard, Memory, CPU and GFX Card.... although, I suspect the cost of shipping all that from the UK to the US you could just buy one locally.

although we could probably square something away that could enhance what system you have.
DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

Zetr0 wrote:DeAgnelo

its a pitty you live in the US, I have a spare system that would work well for this game.... if you were willing to pay for postage I could send you

A motherboard, Memory, CPU and GFX Card.... although, I suspect the cost of shipping all that from the UK to the US you could just buy one locally.

although we could probably square something away that could enhance what system you have.
I would try to set something up, but I've been scammed once on a forum and vowed never to take that chance ever again.
Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 »

@DeAngelo

I can understand that, it is always wise to be cautious, if its worth anything -

I am an Administrator on a trading site called Amibay. A few years ago with some friends we created a site called www.AmiBay.com its a free place to trade in all retrolicious things - unlike an auction - AmiBay is infact a classifieds and community. It now has over 5,000 members with an active members reaching over 1,500 accounts per week.

I personally believe in safe trading on the internet, and you do this by fostering good relations through a good community. So I do have kit here that I am sure can help you - I would only ask for postage costs, so for safety of mind have a look upon my eBay (over 600 feedback 100% positive) User ID: zeteron, and obviously have a look on AmiBay.com at my feed back.

Infact it was one of my fellow members that pointed me to Grimrock and I duly need to thank him for it!

Alternatively there are many American users on AmiBay, they may be local to you - so perhaps signing up might help you get a better equipped for adventuring for very little cost indeed.
DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

Zetr0 wrote:@DeAngelo

I can understand that, it is always wise to be cautious, if its worth anything -

I am an Administrator on a trading site called Amibay. A few years ago with some friends we created a site called http://www.AmiBay.com its a free place to trade in all retrolicious things - unlike an auction - AmiBay is infact a classifieds and community. It now has over 5,000 members with an active members reaching over 1,500 accounts per week.

I personally believe in safe trading on the internet, and you do this by fostering good relations through a good community. So I do have kit here that I am sure can help you - I would only ask for postage costs, so for safety of mind have a look upon my eBay (over 600 feedback 100% positive) User ID: zeteron, and obviously have a look on AmiBay.com at my feed back.

Infact it was one of my fellow members that pointed me to Grimrock and I duly need to thank him for it!

Alternatively there are many American users on AmiBay, they may be local to you - so perhaps signing up might help you get a better equipped for adventuring for very little cost indeed.
Thanks, but given that I only have 20-80 bucks (usually closer to 20) each month to spend on games and stuff depending on the size of my electric bill, I think I'll stick with onlive for now. I'm expecting them to have a big sale for easter. I mean you no offense at all, but I cannot in good conscience take a chance. Yes your ebay looks good and that amibay site looks nice, but the guy who scammed me years ago went to almost as big lengths to look legit. If you're curious about the story:

I fucking LOVE siren. It's one of my favorite horror games. So I was mortified when Siren 2 didn't get released in the states, but it did release in the UK. So if I could just get ahold of that it'd be in english. Someone on a forum who had over 1,000 posts said they'd sell me a PS2 that was modified to play other region games as well as the game. Over 30 people on the forum vouched for him saying he's legit. I did it and sent him $100 and he never responded. No amount of contacting the forum owner or trying to get police involved accomplished anything.

I'm sure you can understand. I bet if I suggested you sending me the PC then me giving you the money once I got it you'd be unwilling, and rightly so. But thanks for the offer.
Zetr0

Post by Zetr0 »

I completely understand, so theres no offense taken.... Once bitten, twice shy is the old adage =)

Its good to be cautious, so please carry on doing so =)

did you ever get to play Siren2 in the end?
DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

Zetr0 wrote:I completely understand, so theres no offense taken.... Once bitten, twice shy is the old adage =)

Its good to be cautious, so please carry on doing so =)

did you ever get to play Siren2 in the end?
Nope, but I got to see the movie based on it and it even had Tanaka in it. Love that fool. Actually I love everyone from Gaki No Tsukai. Except Hamada. He's a dick.

Like I said, onlive is doing me good these days. They've been in a lull recently of not releasing much but they just upgraded their servers so everyeone is speculating that's why. For my 10 bucks a month there's still dozens of games in the playpack I haven't gotten around to playing through. Right now I'm replaying Deus Ex HR for my girlfriend so she can see it. I think she has a crush on adam jensen. Then again so do I. A man crush I mean.

No homo.