elves in Grimrock

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
Darklord

Re: elves in Grimrock

Post by Darklord »

Aye isn't perfect, hopefully a mod can improve this. :)

Perhaps a human is the best choice for most demi humans.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Vito

Post by Vito »

I find Tolkien based races to be really trite and cliche. I prefer Grimrock's weird races.
Zo Kath Ra

Post by Zo Kath Ra »

I can accept Dwarves as long as they don't have a Scottish accent.
Lmaoboat

Post by Lmaoboat »

Zo Kath Ra wrote:I can accept Dwarves as long as they don't have a Scottish accent.
Surely ye cannae be serious?
Arctor

Post by Arctor »

If elves were added, there would be more fried GPUs.
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

Slippery the Gray wrote:This topic is about adding elves as a playable race in Grimrock just wanted to see what the community thinks about it. like if thay wore implemented what would there states be? would thay be powerful mages with boneis willpower or deadly archers with extera dexterity.
I think Dungeon Master had it right, lots of weird looking characters, and some normal ones. Everyone would develop to a slightly different potential, no concept of "race" or "class. Some even had pointy ears.
Goffmog

Post by Goffmog »

DJK wrote:Elves, Gnomes, Dwarves, Halflings, Goblins, Orcs, Dark Elves, High Elves, Wood Elves, Drow, Moogles, Toads, Half-something, Shapeshifters, Draconian, Vampires, Werewolves, Hobbits and Little Folk ?
Hey, what have you got against Kobolds!!??
Thels

Post by Thels »

I personally don't mind Elves and Dwarves in general. However, in Grimrock, next to the Minotaurs, Insectoid and Lizardmen, they wouldn't fit in. They much more closely resemble humans in physical traits than these monstrous races do.

The world of Grimrock is a world where the races differ vastly from one another, instead of being a little more slender and have pointy ears. Let's just keep it like that. Another race, possibly, though we already have Minotaurs for the high Str/Vit, Lizardmen for the high Dex and Insectoid for the high Will. I'm not sure we really need any more stat wise.

Of course, mods could use the more regular alternate races like Elves and Dwarves, but I'd recommend replacing the existing races for those mods that like to use them, rather than using them next to each other.
Merethif

Post by Merethif »

pongsifu wrote:
Darklord wrote:Well you could use an Insectoid with Elf art, this is what I plan to do, it fits an arcane elf quite nicely.

Daniel.
They'll still sound like a bug when hit in combat.
Well, have you actually ever heard the sound of elf when you hit one? Maybe they do sound like a bug. Who knows ;-)

But seriously I value uncommon races more then standard fantasy uncreative rip-offs. Just for sake of diversity.
Mechanic-wise Insectoid=Elf (bonus to Dexterity and Will, penalty to Strength and Vitality) and Minotaur=Dwarf (bonus to Strength and Vitality, penalty to Dexterity and Will) . Even their in-game description fits Elves/Dwarves. Insectoids dwell in hidden cities full of arcane knowledge and isolate themselves from other races... sounds a bit elvish isn't it? Minotaurs are tolerated amongst humans but have tendencies to be trouble makers and all you need to satisfy them is a beer... sounds a bit dwarfish if you ask me.
petri

Post by petri »

There's an error in the subject. I think it should read "no elves in grimrock"

;-)