OnLive.

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
HaganeSteel

OnLive.

Post by HaganeSteel »

What about an OnLive release?

I ask this because I, and apparently some others, won't actually have the means to run this game when it first comes out.

I simply don't have a gaming PC, but I about jumped out of my seat when I saw this on GOG, only to face plant my desk when I saw the system requirements.

My video card is an ATI Radeon 3200, for example, and I noticed some people wanting to run this game on netbooks(!) There is just no way that's going to happen, but OnLive is a free service, very similar to Steam, but it uses Cloud technology to stream the game to the player's computer, thus circumventing the need for good hardware.

I think a game like this would be excellent on a service like OnLive because it doesn't seem to require a lot of precision aiming or timed button presses, so the small amount of input lag you'd get wouldn't affect the overall gameplay experience.

Thanks for listening. :)
DeAngelo

Re: OnLive.

Post by DeAngelo »

I made an account specifically to say I agree. Please consider Onlive! Here's some more advantages of Onlive:

Immediate play: Unlike other ways of buying the game, there's no need to download anything other than the initial Onlive installer, which takes like 3 seconds to download. When you buy a game on Onlive, you're in the game right then.

Zero chance of piracy: Since the game is hosted on their servers and the player plays remotely, as the previous poster said, there's no way a user can steal the game. Well, aside from storming their server locations and holding them hostage while you transfer the files. I doubt anyone would do that.

Reach a whole new audience: The previous poster mentioned this, but it really is a big deal. You must not underestimate the demographic of people who would like to play your game but cannot run it. Many game devs assume any "true" gamers would have a good PC, but many can't afford it. I'm on a PC that can barely run Dungeons of Dredmor, yet with Onlive I've bought and played Deus Ex Human Revolution, Batman Arkham City, Borderlands, Amnesia, Saint's Row 3, and many more.

Brag Clips: With Onlive you can at the press of a button record little 10 second clips of your gameplay. You should see some of the INSANE clips people have made with Just Cause 2!

Spectating: You can jump into the arena and check out people who are playing the game and, if you like what you see, purchase it yourself at the click of a button.
Please consider this!
nbringer

Post by nbringer »

DeAngelo, no offense, but :

Immediate play: You only have to wait a couple of minutes ONCE as you install the game. Then it will work better (faster and looking better) on the local machine than on Onlive (can you use mods with Onlive??? can you use user created content??? new maps??? just asking).

Zero chance of piracy: that doesn't sound good to me as it also means zero control over what I spend money on. If they pull the plug, there goes my money. In no way is that a positive for me. In fact that is the anathema of Onlive for me and strangely from here derives also the only strong point of this service... next

Reach a whole new audience: you point is valid here. People with no computing power can still enjoy a game (to some extent).

Brag Clips: you can do this in a 1000 better or worse ways than Onlive. Nothing special here.

Spectating: something like watching gameplay movies on youtube? ;)

Onlive has its merit of allowing people without above average computer to play IF they have a good internet connection. But honestly in my opinion that's just about it. I didn't write this to attack you. I am aware that what you wrote is valid for you. However the way you wrote it implied that it should be regarded as valid in general, which I disagree.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

nbringer: if someone wants to use onlive, good for them. Whether it's a better or worse experience depends on lots of factors.

As for business, I believe this would be more in onlive's hands than in almosthumans' - if, for instance, it requires big code changes to get your game running on onlive, they need to justify it financially somehow.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

I just heard a lot of negatives about the serve, and besides, there is a lot of people that don't like steam, but at least you still keep the game after you buy it, on live is basically a rental service, you don't own the game, so if you do stop paying for the service, you lose the games

I don't think its a good service at all

just my two cents
DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

matthewfarmery wrote:I just heard a lot of negatives about the serve, and besides, there is a lot of people that don't like steam, but at least you still keep the game after you buy it, on live is basically a rental service, you don't own the game, so if you do stop paying for the service, you lose the games

I don't think its a good service at all

just my two cents
I bewilders me that there are still people this ignorant about the way Onlive works. You don't pay anything for the service. You pay for your games the way you would with any other service. They did have a subscription model for the first few months then they ditched it and gave everyone a free game as compensation. The only subscription now is the Playpack where you pay 10 bucks a month to get unlimited access to a list of over 150 games.
nbringer wrote:DeAngelo, no offense, but :

Immediate play: You only have to wait a couple of minutes ONCE as you install the game. Then it will work better (faster and looking better) on the local machine than on Onlive (can you use mods with Onlive??? can you use user created content??? new maps??? just asking).
---Actually you have to wait for the download time. And depending on your system (Not everyone can afford a gaming PC) it may run worse. I have a few games that I have physical copies of and OnLive copies of and they run way better on Onlive.

Zero chance of piracy: that doesn't sound good to me as it also means zero control over what I spend money on. If they pull the plug, there goes my money. In no way is that a positive for me. In fact that is the anathema of Onlive for me and strangely from here derives also the only strong point of this service... next
---I wasn't making that post for you, I was making it for the developer. The "Zero chance of piracy" isn't for the consumer, it's for the creator of the content.

Reach a whole new audience: you point is valid here. People with no computing power can still enjoy a game (to some extent).
---I'm glad you agree. This to me is the big selling point of Onlive. I want you to imagine that in the future whatever methods you have of making money go away. Maybe you lose your job or something. Now you can no longer upgrade your PC. This new game comes out that is beyond your current specs. But with Onlive it's never beyond your specs.

Brag Clips: you can do this in a 1000 better or worse ways than Onlive. Nothing special here.
---It's still neat though.

Spectating: something like watching gameplay movies on youtube? ;)
---No, because this is interactive. You can friend the person, cheer/jeer them on the fly (Before you bring up youtube likes/dislikes this is immediate and the person sees it as they're playing)

Onlive has its merit of allowing people without above average computer to play IF they have a good internet connection. But honestly in my opinion that's just about it. I didn't write this to attack you. I am aware that what you wrote is valid for you. However the way you wrote it implied that it should be regarded as valid in general, which I disagree.
---I honestly don't get what you mean here. Something is either valid or invalid, that's not conditional. Take my Piracy comment. You are looking at that from a consumer's point of view whereas I meant it from a developer point of view. But oh well. I just wanted a chance to play this game and I doubt I will. I'm a full-time caretaker who doesn't get paid anything for it. A gaming PC is something I'll never obtain. But hey, there's always Wizardry 8 :D
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

OnLive sounds like a useful option.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

Darklord wrote:OnLive sounds like a useful option.

Daniel.
Exactly. Everyone seems to be thinking I'm saying they should play on Onlive. I'm not. I can see from the perspective of someone with a good PC why Onlive would not be something they'd want, but for everyone else it's a godsend. I can't even play Dungeons of Dredmor on anything other than the lowest resolution yet a few minutes ago I was playing Deus Ex Human Revolution! No amount of PC elitism can stain how awesome that feels on this crappy computer.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

And like I tried to say earlier, it doesn't matter if it's crappy service or not, if some people like it. =)

Whether it makes sense to get LoG to OnLive is mainly a business one, and, I believe, mostly up to OnLive.
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
DeAngelo

Post by DeAngelo »

Sol_HSA wrote:And like I tried to say earlier, it doesn't matter if it's crappy service or not, if some people like it. =)

Whether it makes sense to get LoG to OnLive is mainly a business one, and, I believe, mostly up to OnLive.
Definitely. I don't know how it works from a tech standpoint. I would assume Onlive handles most of the coding. I'm just trying to get communications open. If AHG talkes to Onlive and they decide putting the game on the service won't work out, that's fine. I just want to give it a chance :)

Heh, it's like they're two shy people at a school dance afraid to talk to the other one, only to realize once they do that they fall madly in love.

Edit: Here's the page on their site that developers can use to contact them, so while it is up to ONlive if the game becomes part of their service, it's ultimately up to AHG to make the first move. http://www.onlive.com/corporate/plugin
Last edited by DeAngelo on Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.