Crossbow more powerful than Crookhorn?

This is the forum for helping you out if you're stuck or if you want to discuss the nitty gritty details of the dungeons within Mount Grimrock. Warning: forum contains spoilers!
MASKOAA

Crookhorn Longbow question

Post by MASKOAA »

Kinda confused about the stats on this....says its weaker then the crossbow but slightly faster. Seems like I might as well keep the cross bow?
affa

Re: Crookhorn Longbow question

Post by affa »

i had the same internal debate, but switched on the possibility the 'super' bow had some special effect, like some of the other uber weapons due. overall, i preferred the speed of the bow.
Darklord

Re: Crookhorn Longbow question

Post by Darklord »

Hey Guys,

This has been discussed here just today, so I've merged the two.

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Thels

Re: Crossbow more powerful than Crookhorn?

Post by Thels »

IF you keep your missile weapon on cooldown (fire it the moment it becomes available), Crookhorn is definitely more effective. You can shoot it 11 times for every 9 times you can shoot the Crossbow, so that's indeed 22% more often, which certainly beats the extra punch of the crossbow.

However, you're not standing there firing your bow the moment it comes off cooldown. You have other characters to attack with (at different attack speeds), as well as sidestep a lot.

It basically comes down to your play style. For me, I went with 2 tanks, a mage and a rogue, and the rogue was the only one aimed at full damage, while both tanks and the mage were more for utility/extra. My rogue did far more damage.

I noticed that with the Crookhorn bow, when strafing around a mob, I could practically always get a shot in at every step, though barely. With the Crossbow, I would only be able to fire every other step, getting only half the number of shots off.

If the rogue wielding the bow/crossbow is not the one you focus most on, the speed is useless, so the Crossbow wins.
Darlos9D

Re: Crossbow more powerful than Crookhorn?

Post by Darlos9D »

Just do what I do: have two rogues, one with a bow and one with a crossbow. No wasted ammo!

Of course that doesn't help much if you want a mage...