Boxed copy

Talk about anything Legend of Grimrock 1 related here.
wired

Re: Boxed copy

Post by wired »

matthewfarmery wrote:besides, with games these days, you buy a license to use the game, not the game itself.
That's sad - and I'm not willing to accept it. If I pay for something, I want to use it the way I want (and it is technical possible). I don't want the "permission to use" it by the mercy of a company far away. Besides: what is the need to be online while playing a single player game - apart from observing the gamer and keep him in leading strings? I'm to old to accept this paternalism as God-given! :evil:

So I repeat: download is for kids and steam is for pussies! :roll: And as a collector, I want something prestigious (not self made!) for my shelf! :D
matthewfarmery

Post by matthewfarmery »

Im afraid you have to accept it, its been this way for a long time, and when you install a game, you got to accept the license agreement before you install, and companies are going over silly, by having limited activations per games, or in some cases, if you change hardware you got to reactivate the game

in this day and age, you don't own the game, you only have an license to play it, sad fact but true, at least with steam, on many of their games, you can install the game without problems on different computers, unless the game has added DRM, then its usually 3 activations or more before you have to buy the dratted game again or ring up to get the activates reset
Blahblah

Post by Blahblah »

matthewfarmery wrote:Im afraid you have to accept it, its been this way for a long time, and when you install a game, you got to accept the license agreement before you install, and companies are going over silly, by having limited activations per games, or in some cases, if you change hardware you got to reactivate the game
But the EULA is not a binding agreement, and here in Germany it is against the law, and therefore null and void.

If you buy a physical copy, you are the lawful owner of that copy, and all rights and responsibilities are yours.

If you buy a physical copy, that has limited activation, or needs a steam account, then you waive some of these rights and responsibilities, BY YOUR CHOICE.
matthewfarmery wrote:in this day and age, you don't own the game, you only have an license to play it, sad fact but true, at least with steam, on many of their games, you can install the game without problems on different computers, unless the game has added DRM, then its usually 3 activations or more before you have to buy the dratted game again or ring up to get the activates reset
If you don't like DRM/limited activation-schemes (like me) then you should not support DRM/limited activation-schemes by buying the products that have them (like me).

Legend of Grimlock can be bought DRM-free , so if you don't want to be part of the "sad fact", just buy it DRM-free from the developer.
wired

Post by wired »

matthewfarmery wrote:Im afraid you have to accept it, its been this way for a long time, and when you install a game, you got to accept the license agreement before you install, and companies are going over silly, by having limited activations per games, or in some cases, if you change hardware you got to reactivate the game
No, I don't have to accept it, I have to accept not to buy some games, I really liked to play. Sometimes that's really hard - so I didn't bought Bethesdas Skyrim yet. :cry: Strength of will separates the men from the boys. :evil:
Blahblah wrote:Legend of Grimlock can be bought DRM-free , so if you don't want to be part of the "sad fact", just buy it DRM-free from the developer.
You are absolutely right!

But unfortunately they didn't sell a boxed copy! :cry: And they didn't code the game so wisely, that a localization can be made easily. :cry: Really too sad.
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

wired wrote: But unfortunately they didn't sell a boxed copy! :cry: And they didn't code the game so wisely, that a localization can be made easily. :cry: Really too sad.
Read this by Petri,
Petri wrote:It’s been a long and challenging journey but we have finally reached this important milestone. But we don’t think it’s the end of the road, more like a fork in the road with ways branching into all sorts of interesting directions: iOS, Mac, map editor, sequel, new IP, living in a dumpster totally broke…
I think the guys have done a great job for their first independent game, they are trying their best. A boxed copy was not economically viable for them, this is an Independent game which means no big backer to pay what you would like. Would you want them eating out of dumpsters? :o

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
Blahblah

Post by Blahblah »

Darklord wrote: I think the guys have done a great job for their first independent game, they are trying their best. A boxed copy was not economically viable for them, this is an Independent game which means no big backer to pay what you would like. Would you want them eating out of dumpsters? :o
Maybe when the game becomes a huge financial success, we will get a boxed copy.

You know, with all the three games in the triology, "Legend of Grimrock", "Final Legend of Grimrock" and "Absolute Final Legend of Grimrock" together as one special edition. ;)
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

Definately! :P

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...
wired

Post by wired »

Darklord wrote:Would you want them eating out of dumpsters? :o
I think, it's my right to defend my own interests and I'm interested in an localization (and a boxed copy for my shelf). And I hope repeating this wish makes him be real at least in future projects.
Darklord wrote:I think the guys have done a great job for their first independent game, they are trying their best.
Unfortunately they didn't code the game so wisely, that a localization can be made easily. I think that's not the best they could do. There are several examples for fan-made-translations, e. g. Wizardry VIII - but it must be possible.
Sol_HSA

Post by Sol_HSA »

wired wrote:There are several examples for fan-made-translations, e. g. Wizardry VIII - but it must be possible.
Sure, there are ROM hacks of Japanese console games to display English text, so everything is of course possible... =)
Reminder: moderators (green names) don't work for almost human. | http://iki.fi/sol/ - My schtuphh..
nbringer

Post by nbringer »

I don't understand most of this discussion. If you don't want DRM, buy from GOG. It's written plainly "NO DRM" and you can make disk copies and put it on the shelf as your property.