1.1.4 Patch Progress

Have trouble running Grimrock 1 or you're wondering if your graphics card is supported? Look for help here.
cyxceven

Re: 1.1.4 Patch Progress

Post by cyxceven »

Low on the priority list, but...

I've noticed a long delay when you first cast an ice spell after starting the game or loading a save.
I think it's loading the spell animation and/or textures from disk that might be the cause? I don't know.
Defragmentation of the install drive didn't alleviate the problem, but I was wondering if it was at all fixable?
Can the spell assets be loaded into RAM ahead of time, maybe?
EOP
fearbender

Post by fearbender »

I like the game and the fix list looks pretty good.

In regards to the fix : "to avoid confusion autosave & quicksave slots can't be renamed anymore" I like having the ability to rename any save, including the auto-saves.
petri

Post by petri »

fearbender wrote:I like the game and the fix list looks pretty good.
In regards to the fix : "to avoid confusion autosave & quicksave slots can't be renamed anymore" I like having the ability to rename any save, including the auto-saves.
This will lead into tears because when you overwrite and rename the autosave slot to e.g. "Level 5", the next time the game autosaves your autosave slot which has now been renamed to "Level 5" will be overwritten. The autosave slot is not really a normal slot and thus you shouldn't be able to rename it.
petri

Post by petri »

cyxceven wrote:I've noticed a long delay when you first cast an ice spell after starting the game or loading a save.
I think it's loading the spell animation and/or textures from disk that might be the cause? I don't know.
Defragmentation of the install drive didn't alleviate the problem, but I was wondering if it was at all fixable?
Can the spell assets be loaded into RAM ahead of time, maybe?
Many assets are loaded into memory on demand but usually loading times are so fast that only a small lag on slower computers is noticed.
fearbender

Post by fearbender »

petri wrote:
fearbender wrote:I like the game and the fix list looks pretty good.
This will lead into tears because when you overwrite and rename the autosave slot to e.g. "Level 5", the next time the game autosaves your autosave slot which has now been renamed to "Level 5" will be overwritten. The autosave slot is not really a normal slot and thus you shouldn't be able to rename it.
Wow, that was a fast response!

I just hit a save crystal and realized how that would be a problem. =D

Thanks
Silverhawk

Post by Silverhawk »

petri wrote: Work in progress:
- Building the patch
That sounds good.
I hope that there will stand "launch" (not "lunch") today. Sorry, I can't wait. :D
vimes

Post by vimes »

Silverhawk wrote:
- Building the patch
That sounds good.
I hope that there will stand "launch" (not "lunch") today. Sorry, I can't wait. :D
I'm also looking forward for the lunch :D

Hopefully it will be soon :)
Garcy

Post by Garcy »

What about magic damage appearing in the 'Player hands area' just like melee attacks do?
(possibly with ranged attacks also?)

Cheers
Garcy
theruler

Post by theruler »

vimes wrote:
Silverhawk wrote:
- Building the patch
That sounds good.
I'm also looking forward for the lunch :D

Hopefully it will be soon :)
Hey! :D
Darklord

Post by Darklord »

This has been released for those of you, who hadn't noticed already!

http://www.grimrock.net/2012/04/20/patc ... -released/

Daniel.
A gently fried snail slice is absolutely delicious with a pat of butter...